• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I mean I just think the match was taken for what it should have been taken for, a friendly. I was just addressing the posts that were talking about us not fielding our starters, we have a huge tournament that starts in 72 hours. Any major injury would have been unforgivable.

Sasha being included over a guy like Mix is what brought the little mini rant above your post to my mind

Yea, at times it feels like Bob's continually plugging square players into round holes. We've had countless experiments that haven't worked out, and yet we continually call up the same players. Robbie Rogers? Kljestan? And honestly, Adu?

At some point we have to face the fact that these players aren't good enough, and they likely won't develop into something good enough. Sure, Adu might, but why does he need call-ups to do that?

Related to this idea is the fact that Altidore has been dubbed the 1st choice striker by Bob when I'm not entirely sure he's our best option out there. Is someone like Wondolowski better? I don't know, but he at least deserves a shot. There's a reason the guy tears up the MLS as much as he does. And don't give me the age excuse, either. Like I mentioned, players can develop outside of camp instead of in camp. If Altidore's going to be good enough, he needs to show me that outside of national team camp. I'm sick of calling up players that have really, really spotty records outside of national team play.

The basic point of this rant is this: we seem to stick with some players for way too long, continually bringing them into camp when they've effectively shown us nothing. And on the flipside, we seem to bring some players in for one camp and then dump them after a bad performance. Jose Francisco Torres is one that comes to mind. I just want Brad to give everyone a fair shake, and then if they don't work out, move on.

Again, just to clear things up, if we fail in the GC then I will no longer attempt to defend Bob.

Y'all really want his head because he played it safe vs Spain? I disagree, but maybe I'm alone. I'll agree that if we don't bring home the Gold Cup, then we have to consider moving on.

Playing it safe is waayyy different than just rolling over and shitting the bed. We had 6 substitutes. We could have started tons of starters and then subbed them out at half, a la a reserve match. Playing our 2's against their 1's (obviously not all their first team, but they're just damn good) did effectively nothing for us since the defense was a mess and no one ever touched the ball. Likewise, waiting until we're 3-0 down to bring in the starters does nothing for them.

Playing it safe is waayyy different than just rolling over and shitting the bed. We had 6 substitutes. We could have started tons of starters and then subbed them out at half, a la a reserve match. Playing our 2's against their 1's (obviously not all their first team, but they're just damn good) did effectively nothing for us since the defense was a mess and no one ever touched the ball. Likewise, waiting until we're 3-0 down to bring in the starters does nothing for them.

Yeah I see where you're coming from here.

I mean I just think the match was taken for what it should have been taken for, a friendly. I was just addressing the posts that were talking about us not fielding our starters, we have a huge tournament that starts in 72 hours. Any major injury would have been unforgivable.

One person (minifrostylin) said fuck off Bradley for not starting our starters (not who to include on the roster mind, but for not starting our starters). No one else was saying fire Bradley for treating it as a friendly. It's a bevy of reasons. Just admit you were bullshitting with that post

Maybe I just misread. I took it as people were saying fire Bradley for reasons within this game. Which would be stupid. So I guess I took it the wrong way.

The roster choice is easily the most egregious sin Bob committed in mots of our minds, I think. This board uniformly disliked that roster on the day it came out. Some real headscratchers.

Y'all really want his head because he played it safe vs Spain? I disagree, but maybe I'm alone. I'll agree that if we don't bring home the Gold Cup, then we have to consider moving on.

Its just another bullet point on a long list. I just consider todays display totally shameful and illogical.

I'll tell you one thing that blows. Stuart Holdens injurys and their timing.

The #USMNT have won 1 in last 9 games.....first time that has happened since they won only 1 in 11 games from Dec 21, 1996 to June 4, 1997.

Ouch. From the Greg Seltzer mls.com report card:

Coach Bob Bradley (2) - I was tempted to hand out my second-ever zero to the boss, but as usual, halftime adjustments paid off. Problem is, first halves are kinda important.

There was no calming influence started in the ill-formed midfield, nobody to set the metronome. Against a team like Spain, that's all but a forfeit. At least, though, that would have qualified as a visible game plan.

I'm still not sure what the idea was tonight. The spacing was thoroughly dizzy and until the veteran subs came on everyone seemed allergic to making the simple play.

Frankly, I do not feel Bradley gave this game the proper objective - try things out against someone besides the world champs three days before a big tournament. If one is truly serious about finding important things out, find them out in spots amid the "A" team - not eight at a time being hypnotized by Spain.

I'm not sure I want to say definitively yes or no on Bradley based on if we win the Gold Cup or not. There's a very real possibility of playing very well, better than we have in ages, and still falling short against the Mexicans. Likewise, we could easily scrub it all the way to the finals and fluke goal a win. I'm going to look far more at performance than overall result, since as nice as it would be to win this one, what really matters is getting ready for qualifying.

Also, I know that short of not making it out of the group Bradley isn't going anywhere, so there's not much of a point in getting myself riled up over it.

edit: I still really really really want to beat the shit out of Mexico. Actually, I don't even want to get the chance because I'd rather they crash out with three losses in the groups.

Last edited:
I just spent $95 for a ticket and $15 for transportation to get bent over and raped, no lube. Seriously, if Bob Bradley himself gargled my balls while giving me an old fashioned, it wouldn't come close to making up for it. You don't invite the best team in the world to your country and trot out a bunch of experiments. Fucking hell, you don't do that against a shit side. We have no idea how any of those players are because they all played with other fringe players. The only person who looked like he had any clue was Agudelo. And in fairness, he didn't even look all that great. Oh hey, it's Spain. Let's play a 4-4-2. FUCK YOU Bob Bradley. Get a fucking clue.

Dempsey and Bradley were outstanding in the 2nd half. But of course, they had almost nowhere to go with it.

I don't know what to say besides that the few dozen Spanish fans I talked with were just as shocked and disappointed as I was. If you want to rest your stars before the Gold Cup, play some other team. Don't play one of the most watched/talented teams in the world. Fuck you Bob Bradley & Gulati....time to go. fucking disgrace.

If you want to edit this DV7, feel free. I'm way too fucking angry at this to self edit.

Oh, the crowd was pretty good. I'd say 90-95% full. Sam's Army/American Outlaws were completely quiet after the first 10 minutes. Maybe they should stop trying so hard to have cool tailgates and concentrate on actually giving a shit about the match.

I'd say 25% or so were Spain fans. 10% of which were either American or Mexican. Met a lot of South Americans who supported the USA though. Cool to see.

I'm ready to forget that anything happened today, so what lineup does everyone want to see against Canada? I'm thinking something like:

Wondo Agudelo
Donovan Bradley Jones Dempsey
Lichaj Bocanegra Goodson Cherundolo
Howard

I'm expecting this, however:

Altidore Agudelo
Donovan Bradley Edu Dempsey
Bornstein Bocanegra Onyewu Cherundolo
Howard

I just spent $95 for a ticket and $15 for transportation to get bent over and raped, no lube. Seriously, if Bob Bradley himself gargled my balls while giving me an old fashioned, it wouldn't come close to making up for it. You don't invite the best team in the world to your country and trot out a bunch of experiments. Fucking hell, you don't do that against a shit side. We have no idea how any of those players are because they all played with other fringe players. The only person who looked like he had any clue was Agudelo. And in fairness, he didn't even look all that great. Oh hey, it's Spain. Let's play a 4-4-2. FUCK YOU Bob Bradley. Get a fucking clue.

Dempsey and Bradley were outstanding in the 2nd half. But of course, they had almost nowhere to go with it.

I don't know what to say besides that the few dozen Spanish fans I talked with were just as shocked and disappointed as I was. If you want to rest your stars before the Gold Cup, play some other team. Don't play one of the most watched/talented teams in the world. Fuck you Bob Bradley & Gulati....time to go. fucking disgrace.

If you want to edit this DV7, feel free. I'm way too fucking angry at this to self edit.

Why edit? It's pretty much spot on

Back