• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

Last edited:
Just want to put my 2 cents in that Onyewu is still a clod imo. He clearing doesn't have the leadership and tactical qualities to be a championship center back.

Agudelo, on the other hand looks like a kid who will imrpove rapidly with games and coaching.

Rogers hasn't been impressive, but I'll stick to my conviction that he will be our left wing of the future with time and experience. The crew he was playing with Sat. was pretty awful.

Hope the GC lineup is
Howard
Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Borstein
Edu, Bradley, Donovan, Holden
Dempsey, Altidore

Just want to put my 2 cents in that Onyewu is still a clod imo. He clearing doesn't have the leadership and tactical qualities to be a championship center back.

Agudelo, on the other hand looks like a kid who will imrpove rapidly with games and coaching.

Rogers hasn't been impressive, but I'll stick to my conviction that he will be our left wing of the future with time and experience. The crew he was playing with Sat. was pretty awful.

Hope the GC lineup is
Howard
Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Borstein
Edu, Bradley, Donovan, Holden
Dempsey, Altidore

You sure about that one bud?

That being said I agree about Gooch. He's lost a lot of his athleticism and that was made him a decent CB. Time to move on and stick Goodson into his position in the starting lineup.

you all know that isnt gonna happen. Gooch is undroppable status. I have no idea why but he is.

It's time to just move on and give Gonzalez some more caps. For some reason we give Adu all the undeserved caps in the world, but refuse to bring in other promising players that are the same age as Adu.

How does a player like Sasha not only make the roster, but get the start, against a squad like Spain but Torres doesn't even get called in. Where's Torres? We could have used his possession and creativity on the ball. I don't know his situation, but even if he's riding the bench somewhere in Mexico, he's a better option than several on this roster.

I like Torres. I think he's a little small and slow, but I like the kid. He's been in the doghouse ever since a match over a year ago. Very frustrating.

Everyone should follow @MLS_Analyst for some good US/MLS soccer commentary. I enjoy most of the stuff he has to say.

He just ripped apart Bradley for the lineup we tossed out there against Spain. Pretty bad stuff. When the lineup came out, MLS_Analyst (Matthew Doyle) tweeted that he thought it may be a 4-2-3-1 with Edu and Jones as the 2, Agudelo-Kljestan-Rogers as 3, and Jozy as 1. Instead, we trotted that lineup out in a 4-4-2 leaving an acre of space between our mids and CBs. Spain just destroyed that.

I'm not even going to touch the Spain roster. I've said before that many of the players and combinations that we saw on Saturday were just experimental. It was only a friendly and even though most wish we would have tried, Bob decided to play it safe. Some of the players we saw on Saturday will not see the field in the GC except for maybe game 3 of group play when our QF spot is secured. Here's the lineup I think we see vs Canada:

Howard
Dolo-Boca-Goodson-Lichaj
Donovan-Jones-Bradley-Deuce
Agudelo-Altidore

I forgot which side Dono and deuce play on so maybe flip them

I'm not even going to touch the Spain roster. I've said before that many of the players and combinations that we saw on Saturday were just experimental. It was only a friendly and even though most wish we would have tried, Bob decided to play it safe. Some of the players we saw on Saturday will not see the field in the GC except for maybe game 3 of group play when our QF spot is secured. Here's the lineup I think we see vs Canada:

Howard
Dolo-Boca-Goodson-Lichaj
Donovan-Jones-Bradley-Deuce
Agudelo-Altidore

I forgot which side Dono and deuce play on so maybe flip them

I'm guessing Onyewu in the center and Boca out left. Otherwise the same.

Howard
Dolo-Onyewu-Goodson-Boca
Deuce-Jones-Bradley-Donovan
Agudelo-Altidore

I like Onyewu in the middle, if I could say that he's 100%, which I can't. Idk if we will see both of them in the middle at the same time. Would they be fast enough to cover the Costa Rican fowards and Mexicos speed? It would worry me.

The most disappointing part of all of this is Stus injury. Our formations and tatics have gone to the crapper with his recent injuries. Having him would solve so much.

Anyone want to discuss Canada? I really do not know anything about them other than DeRosario is pretty good.

Back