• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I doubt that since I've read a few sites picking them to finish in the semifinals

:laugh:

vishu3362 vikas sharma
by ManUnitedTalk
Fact: Lionel #Messi for Argentina - 55 matches, 16 goals.#Chicharito for Mexico - 24 matches, 17 goals. #MUFC

It's just now settling in to me that Mexico is scary good. Dropped a 5 spot on El Salvador in 45 minutes. And before someone says "relax it was just el sal" our last two matches with them have been a draw and a 2-1 win. Color me worried

Mexico has the most overall talent in the region again now. Not by much, so we could defs beat them in a one-off, but on paper I think they are stronger.

They would win 6 or 7 out of 10, I think.

Mexico has the most overall talent in the region again now. Not by much, so we could defs beat them in a one-off, but on paper I think they are stronger.

Their talent is also more geared towards possessing and really attacking, whereas the USA's game is putting a million men behind the ball, a couple of them fast enough to get out on the break and do some damage if/when we ever get it back. So they'll demolish crappy sides and we'll play ugly against everyone.

I think with Stuart Holden healthy we can match them blow for blow. Without him, we are underdogs

So is today overreaction Monday? Our team is fine. We have little depth, as usual, but our starters are solid. Mexico is not nearly as good as some of you are making them out to be. They have Chicharito, who's phenomenal. But I'd take Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Howard, and Cherundolo over Barrera, Dos Santos, Castro, Ochoa, and Salcido. If we played them 10 times in the US, there's not a chance in hell they'd win 7.

I am concerned the team will focus too much on the final and slip up though.

So is today overreaction Monday? Our team is fine. We have little depth, as usual, but our starters are solid. Mexico is not nearly as good as some of you are making them out to be. They have Chicharito, who's phenomenal. But I'd take Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Howard, and Cherundolo over Barrera, Dos Santos, Castro, Ochoa, and Salcido. If we played them 10 times in the US, there's not a chance in hell they'd win 7.

Guardado and Torrado are two of their best players and you left them out.
Salcido would have LB locked down so fast on our starting XI.
Barrera and Castro are fine talents.

I'm assuming the hypothetical 10 games were like 5 home and 5 away or 4 each and 2 neutrals. Why would all 10 games be played in the US? Stacking the deck, much?

The only two teams I can see beating us are Mexico and Costa Rica. Idk what the chances of us playing CR are but I'm assuming they are pretty high.

Guardado and Torrado are two of their best players and you left them out.
Salcido would have LB locked down so fast on our starting XI.
Barrera and Castro are fine talents.

I'm assuming the hypothetical 10 games were like 5 home and 5 away or 4 each and 2 neutrals. Why would all 10 games be played in the US? Stacking the deck, much?

Probably because the final is in the USA.

Back