• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Tabb really have mono?

I'm sure they do lie sometimes. I think it's a stretch to assume this is one of those times.

I have a lot of other issues of which I am pissed off about the goings on of the basketball program than them stretching the truth about what sickness Tabb had.

I think tilt nailed it earlier when they called it mono when they didn't know for sure but it seemed like mono, but once that changed they didn't bother to alter the story as there was little point in doing so.

Will Tabb even be here next season? That's the more pressing question IMO

tilt, not here....they want fnid something to bitch about even when nothing is there.

Can somebody answer my question above? Why say it's mono? Why not make a more believable lie?

Should have responded to this earlier, but here goes.

Assume Tabb had an infection, any infection. He shows symptoms of lethargy (in addition to whatever attitude issues he may have had). The staff has him tested for Strep and Mono. About like 90% of the world gets infected with Epstein-Barr at some point in their life. If Tabb had an EBV infection as a child, it would have manifested as something like a regular cold and he'd test positive for mono all the rest of his life. It's not hard at all to see this as a possible explanation.

At first it seemed a little strange, like maybe he wasn't sick at all and was just a flimsy coverup, but it is now equally clear that he was sick. Time to move on. There's really nothing to see here.

To a point, but it's a reminder that Wake Forest athletics isn't some beacon of light in a dark world. It's a business. Sometimes they lie to protect their interest.

I get the point about honesty, but if the motive of the staff was to protect Tabb's reputation (and really, what other motive could there be?) then I'm fully ok with it.

At some level, sports teams lie about injuries all the time. It's hard for the lay fan to ever know the true extent, but teams openly protect information about their players' health all the time. Ostensibly the point has always been to keep that information from opponents. Here it's the fans, but I'm not sure that comes to bear in any way on the integrity of the university.

I'm only talking about the instance before us though. I fully hear the sentiments about Wake Forest not being some beacon of light. We do some things very well, but when push comes to shove we're still a major conference school trying to make our way in the world.

This is such a complete non-issue to me. It just doesn't make sense how people are getting that worked up about this.

Teams (college and pro) "lie" about reasons why players are out ALL the time. Tabb was obviously having a lot of problems off the court as well, and telling the fans and media that he had mono helped to shield him from more scrutiny. It was the right thing to do.

Back