• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

I need to go back because I've only been once, but Stephenson's in Willow Springs was p good (I had it in the restaurant and then leftovers) the one time I went. Maybe I'll make a trip.

whoa, in high school I worked for a guy from my church who had a farm in Willow Spring and his last name was Stephenson

got caught sexually abusing boys at the church and killed himself before they filed charges

deep shit, kinda heavy for a BBQ thread

wonder if he's related to the restaurant family, had never heard of it

I've been to Stephenson's once, it's solid, but far from my favorite. Sam Jones can't get to downtown Raleigh fast enough.

Well, Allen & Son in Orange County has closed.

RIP Allen & Son in Orange County.

I'm glad I stopped by a couple of years ago for one last plate.

Totally out of the blue. Thanks Pelosi. Sad. Sounding like the guy just got tired of doing it. Their franchise in Pittsboro not nearly as good.

What did you end up going with? We went with smoked chicken and beef brisket for the mains, and collards, mac, jalapeño baked beans and slaw for the sides.

Something close to that I think. I remember pulled chicken, chopped BBQ, mac and cheese, their special potatoes, jalp beans. I think both families got a brisket on the side as well.

Went to Westwood BBQ in Hartsville, SC fairly recently off 151 and was very impressed. Ordered off the menu, but wish I got the buffet - and I'm not a buffet guy. One of their sides was this BBQ "red hash" over rice that was ridiculously good.

yeah, hash is a SC buffet staple and I love it.

Also, I'm here to tell you that Georgia bbq universally sucks. People from Georgia will take you to a place with "good bbq" and you end up with a pile of pureed pork on a bun. If I put fresh Georgia BBQ on one side of the plate, and on the other side vomited up some other pork that I ate an hour ago, I don't think you can visually tell which is which. Fuck Georgia bbq.

Also, I'm here to tell you that Georgia bbq universally sucks. People from Georgia will take you to a place with "good bbq" and you end up with a pile of pureed pork on a bun. If I put fresh Georgia BBQ on one side of the plate, and on the other side vomited up some other pork that I ate an hour ago, I don't think you can visually tell which is which. Fuck Georgia bbq.

The only good offering at any Georgia BBQ restaurant* is Brunswick stew.

* this does not apply to Southern Soul BBQ which was already been discussed on this thread.

Went to bibs this week because my friend is a friend of the owner and he begged me to give it another chance. Got the ribs and pulled pork, I won’t be back.

I went there before the exhibition game Homecoming weekend. I wasn’t impressed.

My current favorite plate at a bbq place is from Three Little Pigs in Daleville, VA (just north of Roanoke) - Smoked jerk tenderloin and sweet potato fries with peach ketchup. Bush 41 ate there while out campaigning for W and the chair he sat in now has a marker on it commemorating the visit. For bbq places in strip malls, it's stellar.

My current favorite plate at a bbq place is from Three Little Pigs in Daleville, VA (just north of Roanoke) - Smoked jerk tenderloin and sweet potato fries with peach ketchup. Bush 41 ate there while out campaigning for W and the chair he sat in now has a marker on it commemorating the visit. For bbq places in strip malls, it's stellar.

That's the best BBQ place that I've eaten at in Virginia, but that state hasn't set a very high bar for BBQ so there's not much competition. The combo plate there is good and the jerk stuff is tasty.

I am guessing you haven't had good GA bbq. Heirloom in ATL is probably better than anything I've had in NC a loooong time. Maybe if you were allowed to eat in mixed company without your wife your experiences would be broader.

4Rivers Smokehouse opened up in Atlanta. It's a central FL chain. Great menu and the brisket especially is amazing.

I am guessing you haven't had good GA bbq. Heirloom in ATL is probably better than anything I've had in NC a loooong time. Maybe if you were allowed to eat in mixed company without your wife your experiences would be broader.

bang!

TIL TAB likes to eat vomit. All those people that said you're a dog were right.

Went to bibs this week because my friend is a friend of the owner and he begged me to give it another chance. Got the ribs and pulled pork, I won’t be back.

Which owner? Assuming Robert. Haven't heard good things about Bib's lately, which is odd because everything on their menu is "World Famous" or "Bestern"!

Yeah there’s some pretty good bbq in GA, hate to say it Tab is right, clouded opinion because only allowed to eat out once every 3 weeks when the cage comes off, with every other meal being the melting pot.

Lol

Back