• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

as much as i endorse mocking of diggler, and i certainly do, defending GA dog food BBQ is the wrong way to go about it

That's the best BBQ place that I've eaten at in Virginia, but that state hasn't set a very high bar for BBQ so there's not much competition. The combo plate there is good and the jerk stuff is tasty.

ZZQ in Richmond - Texas Monthly said it’s the best barbecue outside of Texas. The pork isn’t anything special, but the brisket is life changing.

Which owner? Assuming Robert. Haven't heard good things about Bib's lately, which is odd because everything on their menu is "World Famous" or "Bestern"!
I like Bib's for large commercial BBQ. Their smoked wings are pretty good. Sadly, large scale joints just don't have the personal touch I prefer. Give me a hole in the wall joint any day of the week. I appreciate what Bib's is doing, but taste wise, I'll choose elsewhere.

ZZQ in Richmond - Texas Monthly said it’s the best barbecue outside of Texas. The pork isn’t anything special, but the brisket is life changing.

Haven't tried that one, will have to put it on the list.

Definitely making a note. I'm underwhelmed by Buzz & Ned's.

Had some Pedalin Pig today in Boone. Second time going - first was to get all our tailgate food for the App game last year. Had some ribs which were good but definitely should have just gone bbq plate. Fortunately my wife is not a big eater and there was plenty left over.

I like Bib's for large commercial BBQ. Their smoked wings are pretty good. Sadly, large scale joints just don't have the personal touch I prefer. Give me a hole in the wall joint any day of the week. I appreciate what Bib's is doing, but taste wise, I'll choose elsewhere.

I did enjoy their wings last time I had them. Would prefer they were separated instead of the whole wing, but flavor was very good. Big Burger Spot does smoked/fried wings, as much as I go there, I still haven't tried them. I need to fix that.

Funny this thread popped up today, stopped by Smiley’s in Lexington for a “Super Q” sandwich. Was not disappointed. Too bad Lexington is a cess pool, I would make the trip more often when I’m in the mood for pig.

If anyone is in Fayetteville or traveling along I-95 ... my brother took his successful food truck and opened a brick and mortar location. There's standard 'cue but also a bit more modern / fusion options as well. He's a super stickler for very high quality, so everything (from sauces through to fries) is handcut/housemade ... for example they do a scarpetta smoked chicken sandwich and he even handmakes the stracciatella di bufala / burata for that. You'll pay a bit more than normal in NC ($8 for a pork sandwich) but it's heritage pork and fresh baked brioche, etc. Craft beers (Bells and the like) on draft as well.

They're only open for lunch and only for as long as they have meat for the day.

https://www.fowlerssoutherngourmet.com/

Fayetteville is a culinary wasteland. I'll be glad to check it out next time I'm in town. He didn't attend Ga Tech did he ?

Fayetteville is a culinary wasteland. I'll be glad to check it out next time I'm in town. He didn't attend Ga Tech did he ?

He went straight into the restaurant business - spent his whole life in it. He's a professionally trained sommelier and spent time doing higher end Italian & French food before going back to southern roots. He's a hella good cook.

Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY. A fellow who served in the military near there said he and his buddies would commandeer a helicopter to make a run there.

Back