• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

I assume you mean Sam Jones. He’s opening up a restaurant in downtown Raleigh, so we should once again have good bbq downtown. Clyde Coopers isn’t what it was and The Pit is the worst successful restaurant in town.

Yes, it is Sam Jones. Hard to remember correct names when they rip through different places, foods and restaurants.

11 new BBQ spots opening in the Triangle in 2020...

In raleigh specifically

Sam Jones
Longleaf Swine
Friendship BBQ
Wyatts whole hog (same owner as Picnic in Durham)

Last edited:
Noble Smoke on Freedom Drive in Charlotte is really damn good.

Been meaning to get over there. Is it waiter/waitress or order at the counter? What did you go with? And odds of getting shot if going for dinner, or just stick to lunch?

Been meaning to get over there. Is it waiter/waitress or order at the counter? What did you go with? And odds of getting shot if going for dinner, or just stick to lunch?

Waiter/Waitress. Big place with a bar and nice patio. We had 6 people so we got a little of everything. Brisket may have been the best.

I went at night and the crowd had several AA young professionals who did not accost me or my family.

got back from Austin and had a evening event at Franklin's. Wow, just wow. Best brisket i have ever had. Also got to tour their smokers. They go through a cord and a half of Post Oak a day. https://franklinbbq.com/

Not a fan of Carter Brothers, Kepley's or Sweet Old Bill's?

Good call, haven't made it over to Bills yet. CBs and Keps is average at best, nothing that I go out of my way for. Country BBQ probably better than both of those if I'm ranking them

i need to try sweet old bills.

I wanted to love it, but you can skip it.

Wife and I showed up after the rush around 8:30PM. Sweet Old Bills was fairly well attended, but not packed.

We were seated promptly, and I was stoked.

Waitress shows up, wife orders a dirty martini, I get a beer and start with pork skins. Martini comes clean, but that gets fixed. Pork skins are awesome, but the cheese sauce tastes like it came from a can.

Wife orders the kale salad with salmon. I get the Ruben, but sub 1,000 island dressing for blue cheese dressing (I call it a Blueben, it's amazing and you should try it). Wife asks for a second martini whenever our food comes, same as before, but bruised.

Dinner comes, salad is meh (missing an ingredient and the salad is >50% arugula with tiny bits of kale), salad salmon is great. Her martini is not bruised or dirty (again). Waitress takes it to the bar and the bartender must have bruised it with the olives, because when it comes back there's frozen olive oil specs floating in the glass (gross). My Blueben was an atrocity; they smothered the thing in 1,000 island and then threw some actual blue cheese on it. Then burned the shit out of it; the rye was black. Collards as a side were good though.

I'm not a picky dude. Any one or two of these things would have been totally overlooked. Waitress screwed the check up, but at that point I didn't even care. It was worth it to just leave at that point.

The place has potential, but the bar, kitchen, and staff all have some growth opportunities.

Wife and I showed up after the rush around 8:30PM. Sweet Old Bills was fairly well attended, but not packed.

Waitress shows up, wife orders a dirty martini, I get a beer and start with pork skins. Martini comes clean, but that gets fixed. Pork skins are awesome, but the cheese sauce tastes like it came from a can.

Wife orders the kale salad with salmon. I get the Ruben, but sub 1,000 island dressing for blue cheese dressing (I call it a Blueben, it's amazing and you should try it). Wife asks for a second martini whenever our food comes, same as before, but bruised.

Dinner comes, salad is meh (missing an ingredient and the salad is >50% arugula with tiny bits of kale), salad salmon is great. Her martini is not bruised or dirty (again). Waitress takes it to the bar and the bartender must have bruised it with the olives, because when it comes back there's frozen olive oil specs floating in the glass (gross). My Blueben was an atrocity; they smothered the thing in 1,000 island and then threw some actual blue cheese on it. Then burned the shit out of it; the rye was black. Collards as a side were good though.

I'm not a picky dude. Any one or two of these things would have been totally overlooked. Waitress screwed the check up, but at that point I didn't even care. It was worth it to just leave at that point.

The place has potential, but the bar, kitchen, and staff all have some growth opportunities.

This is the barbecue thread. I see nothing here related to barbecue. Salad? Martinis? Salmon? What the hell.

He went to a smoked meat restaurant and then didn’t order smoked meats.

All the smoked meats I’ve had at SoB’s have been great.

Did you enjoy Brown Truck, GTB?

This is the barbecue thread. I see nothing here related to barbecue. Salad? Martinis? Salmon? What the hell.

Yep. Great review, but half of this is your fault.

I tuned out once I saw "kale".

Kale... at a q joint.

I mean seriously. GTB saving his sausage and meat smoking for mako I guess.

This is like going to Wendys and complaining that the fish tacos sucked.

Waiter/Waitress. Big place with a bar and nice patio. We had 6 people so we got a little of everything. Brisket may have been the best.

I went at night and the crowd had several AA young professionals who did not accost me or my family.

Went to Noble Smoke for lunch on Saturday. Meh. I'll give them credit that the brisket was very, very good, some of the best I've ever had. But, the pork was mediocre, the sides (mac and cheese, green beans that claimed to be fried but were stewed, potato salad) were mediocre, the portions were not generous, and with tip it came to over $80 for 2 adults and 2 kids for a bbq lunch with no booze. Plus, it felt like someone picked up a South Park restaurant with all of its clientele and dropped it into a big brick building on Freedom. Granted it was a Saturday, but no construction crews, no lawn guys, but a lot of rolled jeans, Patagonia, and craft beer. It just felt really fake and forced for a bbq place. The brisket was good enough that I'd go again if someone else wanted to try it, but I don't think I'd make a special trip.

Back