• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

sure but who has time to drive that far. sounds great though.

My brother & father are having to close their barbecue restaurant in Fayetteville due to the social distancing rules. If you're in the Fayetteville area and want takeout, they are serving lunch tomorrow as the final meal in the restaurant: https://www.fowlerssoutherngourmet.com/

They were in Our State just last year: https://www.ourstate.com/fowlers-southern-gourmet-in-fayetteville/

I hate to see this. I happen to be hunkering down in SE NC, I'll pop by. Do you know if they're taking orders over the phone or only in person? Online ordering is shut off.

How do you think a BBQ restaurant would do in Europe?
There's tons of pretty mediocre "BBQ" places in Europe, especially Germany. There's definitely a spot for it.

Not sure how well a true authentic NC style joint would do though, most people expect something more like KC style with thick sauces, etc.

My other brother and I have done some big weekend party type stuff with friends here in Vienna, the food always disappears.

I hate to see this. I happen to be hunkering down in SE NC, I'll pop by. Do you know if they're taking orders over the phone or only in person? Online ordering is shut off.
Can probably message them on their Facebook page, I believe they answer quickly there.

Good news/bad news. The good news is that Fowler's will be selling out their inventory very early today (they probably have by now). There were a lot of people there early (11:15). The bad news, I didn't get to try any. I just wasn't comfortable with the density of folks waiting in line, so I moved on.

Bought some gift cards to Rodney Scott's BBQ and Lewis BBQ, two of the best ever to do it.

My updated rankings:

Pulled Pork:
1. Rodney Scott's -Charleston, SC
2. Scott's (Hemingway) - the only difference between the two is that Rodney added Ribs and they are incredible.
3. Skylight Inn - Ayden, NC

Texas BBQ:
1. Snow's - Lexington, TX
2. Louie Mueller's - Taylor, TX
3. John Lewis BBQ - Charleston, SC

There's tons of pretty mediocre "BBQ" places in Europe, especially Germany. There's definitely a spot for it.

Not sure how well a true authentic NC style joint would do though, most people expect something more like KC style with thick sauces, etc.

My other brother and I have done some big weekend party type stuff with friends here in Vienna, the food always disappears.

NC BBQ doesn't really work much outside NC.

Can you find real ribs there? Are they terribly expensive?

I normally have the discipline to avoid responding to RJ, but LOL @ "NC BBQ doesn't really work much outside NC."

The most successful q joints throughout the northeast corridor all feature an attempt at NC BBQ. See the menu online for Dinosaur for example.

I normally have the discipline to avoid responding to RJ, but LOL @ "NC BBQ doesn't really work much outside NC."

The most successful q joints throughout the northeast corridor all feature an attempt at NC BBQ. See the menu online for Dinosaur for example.

Do they have a good salmon caesar salad?

Dinosaur BBQ is actually pretty good. The pork bbq isn’t going to compare to the great NC places, but it’s a fun place to eat. And the Wango Tango sauce is a great play on any chicken.

Kansas City Recs:

Kansas City Joes (impressed that an east coast board would have others recommending this)
Q39
Jack Stack
LCs

Back