• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

I recently checked out the website for Little Richards BBQ and it made me sad.

I need something at most from a geocities account. I don’t need your BBQ place to have a social media director.

Little Richards blows.

It was my favorite spot when I was at Wake from ‘02-06.

It was my favorite spot when I was at Wake from ‘02-06.

The Little Richards you are referring to is now called Real Q. It is exactly the same as you remember it from that time period. They had to rebrand because there was (and correct me if I am wrong someone else because I do not know the exact specifics) a family squabble that split up ownership. The Little Richards that has the fancy website is one that was opened by a totally different owner than the original Little Richards on Country Club and is located where Lucky 32 used to be on Stratford. They sacrificed good food for more upscale dining.

That's the location I used to get bbq from when I was at Wake. I have not been since the name changed.

The Little Richards you are referring to is now called Real Q. It is exactly the same as you remember it from that time period. They had to rebrand because there was (and correct me if I am wrong someone else because I do not know the exact specifics) a family squabble that split up ownership. The Little Richards that has the fancy website is one that was opened by a totally different owner than the original Little Richards on Country Club and is located where Lucky 32 used to be on Stratford. They sacrificed good food for more upscale dining.

You are correct. Real Q is the shit. They are the legit Little Richards, the others are all hack jobs using gas instead of wood.

This makes me feel so much better.

Has anyone recently been to Mr Barbecue on Peters Creek, we used to stop there a lot on the way into games, but its been several years

Has anyone recently been to Mr Barbecue on Peters Creek, we used to stop there a lot on the way into games, but its been several years

It burned a couple of years ago, and is about 95% rebuilt. I expect it to open in a month or so. It's always been my #2 behind the original Richard's.

Richard Barrier was the original owner of Little Richard's on CC. He partnered up with some local Greek restauranteurs to expand to Wallburg, Walkertown, Clemmons, and a couple others. The Greeks wanted to expand the menu, Richard didn't, and he sacrificed the name, left the partnership, and kept CC and Wallburg locations rebranded as Real Q. In the last 18 months or so, he sold the Wallburg location to Cagney's (more local Greeks), and is still churning out hog on CC.

Richard Barrier was the original owner of Little Richard's on CC. He partnered up with some local Greek restauranteurs to expand to Wallburg, Walkertown, Clemmons, and a couple others. The Greeks wanted to expand the menu, Richard didn't, and he sacrificed the name, left the partnership, and kept CC and Wallburg locations rebranded as Real Q. In the last 18 months or so, he sold the Wallburg location to Cagney's (more local Greeks), and is still churning out hog on CC.

That's interesting. I've gotten to know the family that owns a new, excellent BBQ place around here. During the pandemic, they have expanded from one venue to three. On of the brothers that owns them, has told me the key to their explosive expansion when other eateries are closing is how well focused on the same, directed, fairly limited menu that they excel at producing.

Mr. Barrier seems to have been right to stick to his guns.

Having been born and raised in Wallburg, I can safely say I ate at the Wallburg Little Richards over 200 times in my life. Their BBQ was terrible. Just bad. We would go there often in high school but not for the BBQ. If dry and flavorless Q is your thing, then that was the place for you. I’ve been to the new Cagneys probably 10 times when visiting my parents and it seems to be pretty decent, but I still don’t order the BBQ.

If a BBQ place hasn’t burned down at least once it’s not legit.

The new Little Richards menu is everything wrong with America. Those animals need to be jailed.

In Raleigh, Clyde Coopers and Ole Time are decent. But Sam Jones is the new standard. And it’s not artisanal. His family started Skylight Inn and he’s had a restaurant in Winterville for a while. I think Ashley Christiansen convinced him to come to Raleigh. He will kill it here.

is he the longleaf guy that is taking over the old Oakwood Cafe spot?

is he the longleaf guy that is taking over the old Oakwood Cafe spot?

Different place. Sam Jones is in the warehouse district, a couple of blocks south of the Pit, so in the area that's not as developed. I think the building was an old tire shop.

I walk by what is becoming Longleaf Swine pretty regularly. I think that will be open in Spring/Summer, but for now they are smoking out front on weekends. We haven't tried it yet.

Back