• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

Allen & Sons is not that good. I'm of the opinion that it gets so much run solely because it's in Chapel Hill and many of this states writers went to school there and are nostalgic.

Allen & Sons is not that good. I'm of the opinion that it gets so much run solely because it's in Chapel Hill and many of this states writers went to school there and are nostalgic.
Wrong

So does anyone have experience having BBQ shipped out of state.

Living in Florida, this is making me crave good BBQ.

And I'd add bullocks more for their hush puppies. And fuzzies will always be special for me

Lol. You mean like manageable traffic, lower crime, and lower cost of living? Congrats on Marietta and Cobb County tho.

Back to the thread, Sauceman's in Charlotte for western NC style BBQ. Wilbur's and King's for eastern NC. Smithfields actual BBQ is meh, but gets the job done. They're Brunswick stew, however, is incredible.

Any Charlotte posters mentioned Bill Spoon's yet? That's a solid spot.

Hey palma and Buckets, there used to be a pretty good storefront BBQ place on La Cienega south of Venice. I think it's called JR's. It'll be on your right as you drive La Cienega from BH towards the 405. It's just before See's cany and the KLOS/KABC studio.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite BBQ restaurant but the Tin Shed in Altapass, NC (near Spruce Pine) has surprisingly good BBQ. I recommend the vinegar based sauce. It has a very peppery kick.

It's worth a short detour off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last edited:
What's everyone's opinion of Camel City BBQ Factory? I like it better than Bibs, but it seems to have been losing its flavor and tenderness the last couple of times I've been there. They're catering my wedding so hopefully they get it together.

As far as best I've ever had goes:
Wilber's in Goldsboro wins eastern style.
BBQ Center is my Lexington fix with Smileys a close second (fuck Speedys and Lexington)

What's everyone's opinion of Camel City BBQ Factory? I like it better than Bibs, but it seems to have been losing its flavor and tenderness the last couple of times I've been there. They're catering my wedding so hopefully they get it together.

As far as best I've ever had goes:
Wilber's in Goldsboro wins eastern style.
BBQ Center is my Lexington fix with Smileys a close second (fuck Speedys and Lexington)

BBQ Center by far in Lexington proper.

Had Honky Tonk for the first time at a wedding this weekend. Was delicious even when catered which is hard for BBQ, IMO.

BBQ Center by far in Lexington proper.

Had Honky Tonk for the first time at a wedding this weekend. Was delicious even when catered which is hard for BBQ, IMO.

Good to hear that they're still going strong. They were by far my favorite BBQ when at Wake. Started getting them to cater our tailgates right after they opened, and they'd give us pork, chicken, and 2 or 3 sides for like $4 a head for 100-150 people. Stupid good deal. I remember the jalapeno baked beans and mac n cheese being particularly awesome.

Tried Honky Tonk tonight based on your recommendations, had the brisket and the ribs. Both were outstanding and the Ribs were particularly killer. Will be back soon to try the chicken and pulled pork.

So does anyone have experience having BBQ shipped out of state.

Living in Florida, this is making me crave good BBQ.

And I'd add bullocks more for their hush puppies. And fuzzies will always be special for me

the places I would like to recommend don't ship -- but we had good experience with Parker's in Greenville NC shipping to some friends

Best bbq: Wilbur's Goldsboro, B's Greenville

Best I've had is Scott's in Hemingway, SC. Second best is B's in Greenville.

I like Wilber's but their sides are terrible.

J.B. Cobb and Son in Farmville, NC is a family and sentimental favorite. Parker's in Wilson has surprisingly good seafood (fried scallops I remember).

Best I've had is Scott's in Hemingway, SC. Second best is B's in Greenville.

I like Wilber's but their sides are terrible.

The slaw isn't terrible. And hush puppies are awesome. The biggest problem with the sides is their collards are only served once a week, and they are excellent.

Back