• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

What's everyone's opinion of Camel City BBQ Factory? I like it better than Bibs, but it seems to have been losing its flavor and tenderness the last couple of times I've been there. They're catering my wedding so hopefully they get it together.

As far as best I've ever had goes:

Wilber's in Goldsboro wins eastern style.
BBQ Center is my Lexington fix with Smileys a close second (fuck Speedys and Lexington)

Not a fan at all of camel city. Had it several times and hate it.

We catered Gary's BBQ in china grove for our rehearsal dinner. It's up there with BBq center.

E & H Barbeque in Rennert, NC (and if you've never been to Rennert, it takes "beat down town" to the next level)

Need some BBQ assistance. Next week I am headed from High Point to Virginia Beach (Sandbridge) and I must bring some better than decent eastern NC BBQ. I have no problem taking the long way to the Beach (via US 64 etc) but DON'T want to have to cut through Greenville or Kinston to get the BBQ. Any places the PIT could recommend more on the Northeastern side of North Carolina??? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

tvcigar

Need some BBQ assistance. Next week I am headed from High Point to Virginia Beach (Sandbridge) and I must bring some better than decent eastern NC BBQ. I have no problem taking the long way to the Beach (via US 64 etc) but DON'T want to have to cut through Greenville or Kinston to get the BBQ. Any places the PIT could recommend more on the Northeastern side of North Carolina??? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

tvcigar

I've stopped at Risin' Smoke BBQ right near Danville that was really good. Not sure if you want to go that route. I don't know if its the best, but certainly a good option.

B's BBQ in Greenville might be worth the route to get it. I think that might be my favorite spot anywhere.

Sorry I haven't been that far northeast for bbq and realize this may be unhelpful.

Last edited:
B's added ten pounds to my butt and took ten years from my life during med school. That place is terrific

I know nothing about this place, other than it has a 4.7/5 star review on google, you can get gas, shop at their general store or artisan gift shop, and sit down for a plate of bbq. And it's right on your way, 25 miles south of Norfolk, VA.

Southland Trade

I know nothing about this place, other than it has a 4.7/5 star review on google, you can get gas, shop at their general store or artisan gift shop, and sit down for a plate of bbq. And it's right on your way, 25 miles south of Norfolk, VA.

Southland Trade

One of the guys in my computer baseball league lives 5 minutes from that place. It is the backup BBQ location if I fail in my mission. Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

If you want legit Eastern NC BBQ, your best bet is to pick it up in Wilson (Bill's or Parker's) and then head up I-95. It won't add that much time.

Does Bullock's count as eastern? I don't remember them as having red on the BBQ..

Edited to add It's been so long since I've had good BBQ. I'm actually enjoying something called the Georgia Pig in Lauderdale, FL. (Georgia Pig....I sigh at myself).

I tried Buxton Hall in Downtown Asheville while there on vacation back in October. The barbecue was great and the sides were some of the best I've ever had.

Does Bullock's count as eastern? I don't remember them as having red on the BBQ..

Edited to add It's been so long since I've had good BBQ. I'm actually enjoying something called the Georgia Pig in Lauderdale, FL. (Georgia Pig....I sigh at myself).

I was FTL about years ago. There was a BBQ place called Tom something (don't remember the last name). It was sort of like a storefront and good. I don't think it had a bar.

That kinda looks like the one. It was funky...

Thanks

I wouldn't say it's my favorite BBQ restaurant but the Tin Shed in Altapass, NC (near Spruce Pine) has surprisingly good BBQ. I recommend the vinegar based sauce. It has a very peppery kick.

It's worth a short detour off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Our State magazine has an article about this restaurant in this month's edition.

https://mitchellcountychamber.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/The-Queen-of-Spruce-Pine.pdf

https://mitchellcountychamber.org/the-tin-shed-named-our-state-magazines-bbq-queen/

Not my favorite, but Honky Tonk will be catering my wedding in September. Very fair pricing for catering imo

There's a decent barbecue joint near my house called Franklin. I bet it'll be big in a few years.

B's added ten pounds to my butt and took ten years from my life during med school. That place is terrific

The girls behind the counter often say how much they miss you T. That special sauce on the double chicken and slaw plate with a square of corn pone and sweet tea just makes my mouth water. I Still do the chicken and slaw but no sweet tea anywhere in years, though. Lol.

Greenville has changed. B's hasn't. :D

The girls behind the counter often say how much they miss you T. That special sauce on the double chicken and slaw plate with a square of corn pone and sweet tea just makes my mouth water. I Still do the chicken and slaw but no sweet tea anywhere in years, though. Lol.

Greenville has changed. B's hasn't. :D

Miss ya bud! Let's get together sometime.

Back