• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

Southern Soul Barbeque on Saint Simons Island. Best everything ever of all time. We were totally blown away by this place. The meat, the sides, the sauces.

Southern Soul Barbeque on Saint Simons Island. Best everything ever of all time. We were totally blown away by this place. The meat, the sides, the sauces.

Ha, it's in my top 3 for sure, and a somewhat hidden gem (I feel like it got way more popular after that article in Southern Living or Garden and Gun or whatever it was). Try to go there every time I'm visiting family down there.

Buxton Hall BBQ in Asheville is defs up there for me as well (maybe #1 on a good night). Nothing better than a slice of one of their pies to top it off (and I usually HATE pies). 12 Bones always awesome as well.

Ha, it's in my top 3 for sure, and a somewhat hidden gem (I feel like it got way more popular after that article in Southern Living or Garden and Gun or whatever it was). Try to go there every time I'm visiting family down there.

Buxton Hall BBQ in Asheville is defs up there for me as well (maybe #1 on a good night). Nothing better than a slice of one of their pies to top it off (and I usually HATE pies). 12 Bones always awesome as well.

Buxton is always the place we take out of town guests. Admittedly I don't go for the bbq as much these days -- usually get the burger or the chicken sandwich (love the new hot dipped option btw). Always with the bbq hash as the side, though. I did have a fantastic chopped rib sandwich there a few months ago, though, which was amazing.

Pretty happy to be moving relatively close to Bonfire as well. The 12 Bones in S. Asheville is closing and relocating, and because it's law in Asheville, will be adding a brewery.

Buxton Hall is fine, but seems overpriced. They do make good pies though.

12 Bones has the best ribs that I've had anywhere.

I tried Doc Brown's in Candler the other day. It was ok.

The best thing at Moe's BBQ is their Mahi Mahi sandwich.

Last edited:
Buxton is always the place we take out of town guests. Pretty happy to be moving relatively close to Bonfire as well. The 12 Bones in S. Asheville is closing and relocating, and because it's law in Asheville, will be adding a brewery.

Yeah, same re: Buxton, especially on a Saturday night downtown. I'd never been to the S. Asheville 12 Bones, but that should be pretty cool. We did our rehearsal dinner at the Wedge at Foundy and had that 12 bones location catering, it was awesome.

We go to Bonfire a ton, definitely a great spot for the value and super awesome.

Yeah it's not cheap bbq, that's the downside.

The hash there is gr8. Just meat butter.

12 Bones certainly wins the ribs award around here.. not sure anyone else is really that close on that front.

I tried Doc Brown's in Candler the other day. It was ok.

The best thing at Moe's BBQ is their Mahi Mahi sandwich.

You're definitely paying for the hipster vibe and Buxton. But they have great drinks and their non bbq dishes seem fairly priced. The burger is like 12 bucks and is massive and fantastic. Those Cheerwine slushes doe.

What's the consensus on Smoke in Charleston? It was a stop on a food tour we took recently and the missus and I were very impressed, especially with the wings and the Cuban slider.

Well, Allen & Son in Orange County has closed.

RIP Allen & Son in Orange County.

I'm glad I stopped by a couple of years ago for one last plate.

Not my favorite, but Honky Tonk will be catering my wedding in September. Very fair pricing for catering imo

They catered my wedding this past May and killed it. We ended up dropping Camel City BBQ factory after people started getting food poisoning there. Haven’t been back since. We have become regulars are Honky Tonk’s brick and mortar location though, it’s the only place I get ribs in Winston.

And for emphasis Wilbur’s is still the best in NC.

I tried Wilbur's for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was very very very very good. Not gonna say best but they deserve to be in the conversation.

On my prior trip, I tried Parker's in Wilson. This does not deserve to be in the conversation.

It's spelled Wilber's, btw.

Yeah, Parker's is overrated. I'd drive out of my way to go to B's rather than go to Parker's.

But that would require one to visit Georgia, no Barbecue can be worth that.

However, Federalist Pig in Washington DC is head and shoulders above anything else in the DMV. It was nice to live around the corner from it until it won all the Barbecue awards in the papers and the foodies started creating lines and stuff. Still its worth the wait and if you are nice, they will give you a beer while you wait in line to order. There North Carolina stuff isnt great, but man, their brisket, ribs and pork belly. My personal favorite is the Jimmy Muscles, fried chicken with pork belly with a pepper relish.

I need to go back because I've only been once, but Stephenson's in Willow Springs was p good (I had it in the restaurant and then leftovers) the one time I went. Maybe I'll make a trip.

Back