• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Barbecue Restaurant

My brother & father are having to close their barbecue restaurant in Fayetteville due to the social distancing rules. If you're in the Fayetteville area and want takeout, they are serving lunch tomorrow as the final meal in the restaurant: https://www.fowlerssoutherngourmet.com/

They were in Our State just last year: https://www.ourstate.com/fowlers-southern-gourmet-in-fayetteville/

My parents were devastated by this news when we talked this week. Easily one of their favorite spots.

I hadn’t made the connection it was your brother and father. Sorry to hear this for them.

Interstellar was recently named best bbq in Austin by Austin (or Texas) Monthly, can’t remember which. We placed an order last night & picked it up this afternoon. Their daily special of peach tea glazed pork belly was absolutely delicious. Their brisket, dare I say, is better than Franklins. The fat in it was like butter and the meat was moist. Pulled pork was great, too. Free beans, which are loaded with pork and quite possibly the best baked beans I’ve had. Interstellar was good the first time I had it back in October or November. This time was another level, and I can see why it has taken over Franklins. Can’t recommend enough.

famous dave's is pretty good, and also famous

How do you think a BBQ restaurant would do in Europe?

It would crush. I've got a friend who imported a big smoker to Switzerland, does small functions as a way to make money while sitting by the smoker all day with a beer in his hand and it's super popular. He's not even that good at cooking (basically cooks stuff out of Franklin's cookbook) but everybody loves it. I'm in Portugal now, and burger places have gotten popular (and actually good). Half-decent BBQ would kill.

That said, people do think it's normal to put (viscous brown) BBQ sauce on pulled pork (including my friend who shall we say is NOT from NC)

Anyone have a bbq rec for around Wilmington area or anywhere between Charlotte and Wilmington along 74.

I'd normally hit Fowler's or my buddy's spot Wyatt's, but neither right now are an option.

Anyone have a bbq rec for around Wilmington area or anywhere between Charlotte and Wilmington along 74.

I'd normally hit Fowler's or my buddy's spot Wyatt's, but neither right now are an option.

I'm going to give a rec for Joe's in Whiteville, 4 miles south of 74. Not saying it's anywhere close to being at the top of any "best of NC" list but it's among the "best of 74 from Charlotte to ILM".

Anybody ever eat at The Shed in Mississippi? Place lived up to its billing.

We tried Sam Jones new location in downtown Raleigh. Really cool location near the warehouse district, very close to the pit which is basically a tourist trap at this point. It wasn’t cheap, but I think it’s instantly the best bbq in town and the vinegar based sauce is exactly how I like it. We tried the spare ribs too. Again, not cheap, but really good.

I’m over artisanal BBQ.

I just want to find a place with those red little baskets and questionable bottles of sauce on the table.

I agree with this. If the place only takes cash, that makes it even better.

There used to be a place in Marina Del Rey where the owner would bring your bill to the table if he didn't recognize anyone at the table. As he handed you the tab, you could tattoos on his fingers that spelled "Just Cash".

My exposure to “artisanal” bbq is very limited. I try and visit the old school places whenever I’m traveling for work. Wilbers and Stameys are probably my most frequented. I like Stephensons in Willow Springs a lot too.

In Raleigh, Clyde Coopers and Ole Time are decent. But Sam Jones is the new standard. And it’s not artisanal. His family started Skylight Inn and he’s had a restaurant in Winterville for a while. I think Ashley Christiansen convinced him to come to Raleigh. He will kill it here.

I recently checked out the website for Little Richards BBQ and it made me sad.

I need something at most from a geocities account. I don’t need your BBQ place to have a social media director.

Back