• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

So, if true that he's staying, what do we make of those speculators claiming confidently that he was gone?

I guess they were just overconfident speculators?

People change their minds...I don't think it is anything more than that. Heck, coaches have accepted positions and then reneged and stayed put. Extremely glad Battle is back and I'm a big fan of his. It will be interesting to see what he does after next season once his son has graduated...

That is great news to start off Monday! If he were to leave someday I would hope he would get a HC position.

Very Glad that Battle is sticking around. He is a very stable influence on our program in the midst of this storm we are battling. Gonna need him to help right the ship.

Good news. ConnorEl, if you want to ignore all the signs that pointed to Battle leaving, do it at your own risk. I think dv7 nailed it. It all came down to giving his son his senior year in Winston. I'll be prepared to see Battle move on next season either to join Cooley or take another assistant job or to aggressively look for head jobs and I'll be happy for him either way.

Who's ignoring what?

Just saying there's a vast difference between knowing and speculating. And some would do well to remember the distinction, IMO.

While his staying appears to be about keeping his family together and letting his son finish high school, I do think it indicates a certain level of comfort and mutual respect between [Redacted] and Battle.

Just as him leaving potentially wouldn't have been all about [Redacted] (but hardly an endorsement either), this is also not all about [Redacted]; but I do think it puts into context the level of their disagreements, which, on the face of it, seemed like the sort one would expect to see between coaches even if they had known each other for 20 years.

Super happy he's staying, but as Ph has said, will be super happy for him wherever he ends up and whatever decision he makes.

Who's ignoring what?

Just saying there's a vast difference between knowing and speculating. And some would do well to remember the distinction, IMO.

Who said they definitively knew Battle was leaving?

Did anyone say they "knew" Battle was leaving? I just saw a lot that said they believed that he was going to go, or that "all signs" pointed to him leaving.

I may have missed someone stating it as fact though. I could easily see myself doing that.

looks like disco dan was right!

huge and unexpected turn of events...

Battle's twitter feed says "Happy to be at Wake...excited about our players and the future!"

-WFUcoachB

Great news - though I do think that if his son was done with high school, he'd have been long gone. Glad we have at least one more year of Battle!

Well thankfully this board has a search function, so ConnorEl can just find the people on this board who said they knew Battle was leaving as opposed to speculated that Battle was leaving based on the press and their view of the situation.

he's gone and taking the high road out of town. would not expect anything less from jeff

Well, here's one from this board. Mindact on the other board is another. I'm not searching for more nor do I care to argue further about this. If people want to conflate speculation with knowing, that's up to them.

Seems we can all agree to be happy Battle is staying for now.

Pretty clear to me that that's speculation, ConnorEl. Looks like you're the one who doesn't know the difference between knowing and speculation. I went through his posts and I saw nothing to indicate that he claimed he had inside knowledge or wasn't forming an opinion based on the same info everyone else had.

You don't. You don't like me and that's fine. Just keep the spiteful posting on the old boards. Look around. Few people posts like you do around here.

It's pretty clear that this decision primarily resulted from private conversations between a man and his son. Maybe mindact on the other boards claimed to know what was going on in their relationship, but I don't think anybody here did anything besides take what was out there and speculate about what would happen. If you don't like people speculating on the internet, then message boards aren't for you.

Last edited:
You don't. You don't like me and that's fine. Just keep the spiteful posting on the old boards. Look around. Few people posts like you do around here.

It's pretty clear that this decision primarily resulted from private conversations between a man and his son. Maybe mindact on the other boards claimed to know what was going on in their relationship, but I don't think anybody here did anything besides take what was out there and speculate about what would happen. If you don't like people speculating on the internet, then message boards aren't for you.

Umm...nice.

I've never stated I don't like anyone. Or that I don't appreciate speculation...for what it is.

Back