• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

I think awakegirl posting more on the sports board (and it seems like more women posting on the sports board as well) is one of the nice things about this new forum.

I think awakegirl posting more on the sports board (and it seems like more women posting on the sports board as well) is one of the nice things about this new forum.

Completely agree....

We need her to report on the NFL lockout. LABOR, LABOR, LABOR!

We need her to report on the NFL lockout. LABOR, LABOR, LABOR!

Haha. I actually have a colleague (not in my office, but someone who I have collaborated with in arbitration a number of times) who is involved with the Players' Association. I'll see if I can find out anything when I see him. This board is much more inviting in terms of posting about sports. It's funny bc I obviously started posting here bc I love WF sports and then ended up posting more on the quad. In retrospect, I just hated knowing that I would end up in a fight for voicing anything against the "company line." Thanks for encouragement- I think the discourse from everyone on the sports board here is so much better/ more respectful even though we might not agree.

Didn't work for Gaudio or Caldwell. Worked for Bzzz though.

The trick is to get the kid on campus first. Good point about Caldwell. Forgot about that. Weird to have so many children of coaches of major sports on campus.

awakegirl, completely agree. I post something here and it's just part of the larger discussion. I post the same thing over there, it becomes a big fight. Your perspective on the NFL labor issues would be greatly appreciated.

The trick is to get the kid on campus first. Good point about Caldwell. Forgot about that. Weird to have so many children of coaches of major sports on campus.

awakegirl, completely agree. I post something here and it's just part of the larger discussion. I post the same thing over there, it becomes a big fight. Your perspective on the NFL labor issues would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest, right now it is more of an anti-trust issue than a labor issue, which is ironic bc my fiance is an antitrust lawyer. I think the case is a slam dunk for the Players Association if they can't agree in mediation. There will be an appeal and then, not wanting to create horrific precedent, you will see a settlement.

This is an extremely unique situation bc most unions can't even dream of the type of money that they have to negotiate about. Also, while there are a number of "specialized" trade unions, the cogs in that wheel can always be replaced- new people can be trained, etc.- the NFL truly needs the players in a way that other employers do not. Further, most of them can live through a lockout. When you start taking away a week's pay from Bus Monitors or Cafeteria workers, you have a major problem. The NFL Players' Association has traditionally been one of the weaker unions for athletes. This dates back to the merger, etc. The Union really should make it a priority to take care of its less successful players and retirees, which I am glad it is doing.

Back