• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

Wasn't Battle the lead recruiter for Katenda as well? I don't think we were all that likely to land him anyway...but this happening the same week he is visiting ND can't be all that great for us...

I have NO idea what Mr. Battle is thinking or doing.

But I want to suggest another angle for consideration. I've known lots of people who've lost a spouse. Some cling to their familiar and previously shared places as a comfort in their grief. Others, however, as some point decide they really can't stand any longer to be in the place where they were together with their departed spouse. The place, for these folks, seems only to accentuate their grief. So they leave and go elsewhere...not to "forget" or anything so impossible, but simply as a part of how they are attempting to best carry on...

Again, I've no idea what's in Jeff Battle is thinking or doing.

Good take there, Connor. That could definitely be playing a role in his decision making.

Whatever Coach Battle decides is best for him and his son I will support. Would hate to lose the guy, though.

Per Battle, it's a difficult decision to stay or leave due to his close friendship with Cooley. And that he's "happy as heck" at Wake and thinks Bz is "great", etc.

Link.

he's gone and taking the high road out of town. would not expect anything less from jeff

The signs point in that direction. Thanks Coach Battle for all your contributions.

Within the last year or so, consider:
Underwhelming hire by Wellman
Horrendous W-L record
Apparent disconnect between players and HC
Students apathetic (or disgruntled, at best)
Attendance (and sales/donations?) down
Long-time top assistant considers bailing

Folks, things ain't looking good for WFU basketball. Not for a loooong time.

yup........we are done for a good 5 to 6 years.

I have NO idea what Mr. Battle is thinking or doing.

But I want to suggest another angle for consideration. I've known lots of people who've lost a spouse. Some cling to their familiar and previously shared places as a comfort in their grief. Others, however, as some point decide they really can't stand any longer to be in the place where they were together with their departed spouse. The place, for these folks, seems only to accentuate their grief. So they leave and go elsewhere...not to "forget" or anything so impossible, but simply as a part of how they are attempting to best carry on...

Again, I've no idea what's in Jeff Battle is thinking or doing.
I think everyone wants what is good for Battle because we all respect him. I'm sure if he makes the move it's for a good reason and no one in the Wake crowd is going to be upset AT Battle.

But it really doesn't matter why, it's going to be bad PR wise and bad from a Wake coaching perspective. About the only type of reason that might trump anything negative would be moving because a family member is sick and living near the choice of school. Anything else will be viewed by analysts and pundits as "what is wrong with Wake?", especially on the heels of sacking a nice guy in Dino, hiring Bzz out of left field, and having a disastrous season.

I think everyone wants what is good for Battle because we all respect him. I'm sure if he makes the move it's for a good reason and no one in the Wake crowd is going to be upset AT Battle.

But it really doesn't matter why, it's going to be bad PR wise and bad from a Wake coaching perspective. About the only type of reason that might trump anything negative would be moving because a family member is sick and living near the choice of school. Anything else will be viewed by analysts and pundits as "what is wrong with Wake?", especially on the heels of sacking a nice guy in Dino, hiring Bzz out of left field, and having a disastrous season.

:werd:

yup........we are done for a good 5 to 6 years.

chicken-little.jpg

this has the potential to be a complete disaster .... losing Jeff willl be bad enough

this has the potential to be a complete disaster .... losing Jeff willl be bad enough

I know that Codi mentioned to me that Battle was the head recruiter and he was close with him...I believe Aaron said something along the same lines. They both respect Coach [Redacted] immensely though, which is good if something goes down.

The BabyDeac post indicates that Battle is unhappy and that Bz is threatened by his presence if I got his Macbeth reference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember BabyDeac being pretty reliable with some sort of inside connection in the past. Or am I misremembering? He/she posts pretty infrequently.

Back