• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Yeah, if you're ever out this way, I'd definitely check out the casting ponds and lodge here at Golden Gate Park. Very cool history on display. Also it's across the way from the bison paddock, which is neat to see

Looking for a place to do some bass fishing within an hour of W-S. I want to take my 2 sons....ages 11 and 14. Ideas?

Looking for a place to do some bass fishing within an hour of W-S. I want to take my 2 sons....ages 11 and 14. Ideas?
I've always found there is a gap between private and public bass fishing ponds but the gap seems larger in Winston. CLT has a couple of nice public lakes to fish if I am not in a rule-breaking mood (I like Reedy Creek the best). Winston has Salem Lake and Tanglewood but I haven't had much luck at either. Honestly my favorite public lake in Winston is Lake Elizabeth behind WFU campus (it is small and it can be hard to find), and it is a nice walk to and from the lake. There is a huge visible tree in the pond and there are usually bass around that. I can give you some private pond recommendations in Winston if you are not afraid of breaking rules. :)

If not too far to drive, check out the Randleman Dam reservoir, which is one of the top bass lakes in the State. I have not been on it, but I hear good things about it.

Anyone else have the app FishBrain?

It's pretty neat. It allows you to record your catches and it is essentially a fishing database in the US.

The only active spot I noticed in Winston is Salem Lake so I cropped out the neighborhood houses from neighborhood ponds and made my niece queen of the lake!

After the cold snap, I got three white bass and a largemouth this afternoon. It feels good to get the first fish of the year.

After the cold snap, I got three white bass and a largemouth this afternoon. It feels good to get the first fish of the year.

What'd you catch em on? I've bout got that muddy river figured out for catfish, but not much else.

A plain white grub, with a chartreuse jig head. I tried all sorts of combinations, but that is the only one they hit on.

mako.jpeg

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/natu...graphed-florida-gas-station-set-world-record/

It's sad they don't want the publicity when it's legal to catch a Mako shark in FL. It summarizes the sad state of several fisheries, mainly bluefin tuna. Typically when you catch a massive fish legally, you want to flaunt it. Maybe they may have used an illegal fishing method (harpoon) to land the shark and didn't want the press finding out about it? Who knows. It seems like the guys were going to release the shark but it was dead upon reaching the beach. Still though, if the shark was too tired to swim back out to sea, they would have said it was tail-wrapped rather than 'too weary'. A fish can recover from a long fight but a tail-wrapped fish is donezo.

That's an amazing catch from a beach.

Yeah, I'd love to get into fly fishing and realize Yellowstone is the place to do it. There's actually a great resource for beginners here in SF, the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club, which does free lessons once a month. I've been to a couple of them. My issue with fly fishing is that none of my buddies do it and the amount of gear you need to do a decent job is a little beyond my means right now. I could definitely see myself getting into it down the road, though.

My friends took care of my fishing gear issue last night by gifting me a rod, reel and tackle box for my birthday. Ended up with a similar setup as my buddy, with a Shimano Sedona spinning reel.

Golden Gate club is world famous for casting, great resource.

Happy birthday and those are good friends.

I understand the hesitation on fly gear and cost, but if you ever decide to try it you can actually get what you need for $100, maybe a bit more, plus a few flies. Fiberglass rods have lost their place as the go to rod for many, but there is a niche of fiberglass fans still out there (myself being one). If you would consider a low-cost fiberglass rod, consider the Eagle Claw http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2010/06/eagle-claw-featherlight-series.html Or, there are some entry level combos from several manufacturers. Here is a link with another perspective on what a new fly fisherman might consider but at a higher price point - http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/podcasts/2014/03/17/used-fly-rods-v-new/

Enjoy the trip and you new gear.

I started with a Redington Crosswater flyrod and reel combo for $100 (it's up a little more in price now with some improvements http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/crosswater/). If you want to fish for trout, you can get into fly fishing for around $200 for rod/reel, flys, etc... I would recommend a 8'6" or 9' 5 weight fly rod for kind of an all around trout rod.

Orvis also offers an excellent entry level fly rod and reel combo for $198. It comes with the rod, reel, backing, fly line, and leader (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...758&group_id=759&cat_id=14816&subcat_id=44223).

For anyone in the region that might be interested, the Southeastern Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers will be hosting the 2014 Festival at the Ramsey Center at Western Carolina University on May 16 and 17. http://southeastfff.org/festival-2014-main/

There are plenty of classes for novice and intermediate casters. For example, there is a free 3-hour class for novices - no experience or equipment needed. For more advanced casters, there will be the highest levels of instruction anywhere. Dozens of Certified Casting Instructors, numerous Master Casting Instructors, and casting headliners Steve Rajeff (CBOG; MCI) and Leslie Holmes (CBOG; MCI; THCI). Steve is a world champion many times over. So, you have the chance to take a class from the guy who is, literally, the world's best caster.

A line up of some of the best fly tiers in the country will be there, too. They are always happy to have someone sit down with them and go over some techniques.

The live auction on Saturday night will include a Sage One fly rod, a Yeti cooler and Costa sunglasses.

So if you love fly fishing, or are thinking about giving it a try, the Festival is the place to be.

Last edited:
Crushed it yesterday about 2 miles off of Kure beach. Gigantic Spanish Mackerel and Atlantic Bonito for 4 hours solid.

Damn, I kinda think that's shopped. You see people catching 300lb sharks out of little flats boats. Hope they were ok.

Damn, I kinda think that's shopped. You see people catching 300lb sharks out of little flats boats. Hope they were ok.

That's what I'm thinking as well. If it's not photoshopped it makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the boot prior to landing that fish.

I do think the fish was shopped in there. It looks more likely that either an anchor or a trolling hook got caught on a fixed object on the bottom and was the cause for the tipping. The third picture down, the fish is airborne and in front of where the taught line enters the water.

Back