• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

I've had an amazing year of fishing. So far I've caught: sailfish, wahoo, bonita, snapper, grouper, lizardfish, shark, stingray, whiting, pompano, bluefish, flounder, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, rock bass, panfish. I haven't caught a catfish yet, although I did catch a nice channel cat last year.

Fished the farm pond at TWToy's parent's farm this weekend. Pretty small, but I was surprised when I caught 3 different largemouth bass < 7" and some bluegill. Now I remember why I loved fishing so much as a little kid.

I just got my daughter a new fishing rod and bought myself one while I was there. I haven't been fishing since I was in high school up in Jersey. Up there, my father and I had a fishing hole every couple miles or so, but I've got no idea where to go around Winston. We're just looking for someplace quick and easy to get to that she can throw her line out and catch a a small fish or two. Thanks for the help.

Heading down to ocean isle over Memorial Day weekend. Looks like we're fishing for flounder that Saturday and King Mac on Sunday. Should be a great trip!

redwing there is always "Lake" Elizabeth which has the added bonus of being near WFU campus. I sent you a PM with some other pond options.

I'll be in HHI this weekend for a wedding and I'm pumped to do some surf fishing SAT morning.

I've been fishing a lot at Little Sugar Creek near downtown CLT. It's a pretty area, it's an easy bike ride from my place, and there are a lot of small fish. I caught about 10 sunfish in 15 minutes of fishing last night using a small trout Mepps spinner at the spot where Brody killed the sniper in Homeland. I'll have to try out the deeper holes for small catfish and bass.

Fished the farm pond at TWToy's parent's farm this weekend. Pretty small, but I was surprised when I caught 3 different largemouth bass < 7" and some bluegill. Now I remember why I loved fishing so much as a little kid.

my wife is hooked (ha!) on River Monsters and wants me to take her fishing. I haven't been in years and I have no gear, but I really wanna do it now.

Heading down to ocean isle over Memorial Day weekend. Looks like we're fishing for flounder that Saturday and King Mac on Sunday. Should be a great trip!

Heading to Emerald Isle tomorrow to do the same. Hopefully we will get into some cobia while we are out. The weather hasn't been suitable for us to take our boat offshore, but the weather this week looks amazing.

my wife is hooked (ha!) on River Monsters and wants me to take her fishing. I haven't been in years and I have no gear, but I really wanna do it now.

I bought a new rod and reel last week and fished in the pond again on Saturday. Used an old top water lure I used as a kid and it worked like a charm. Caught quite a few bass. It amazes me that there are that many in such a small area. I'm on the hunt for other areas to fish that don't experience heavy pressure. Not many great options in se Ohio unfortunately. I'd like to make a trip up to Michigan for some remote wilderness fishing.

I've never really done much freshwater fishing...I'd say 90% of what I've done has been trolling, bottom fishing, casting from a boat in a bay or bayou, pier fishing, and a little surf as well.

Went offshore Saturday out of Oregon inlet. Rough but good results. 35 mahi. Total 487 lbs including one 42 pounder caught by yours truly.

Heading to Emerald Isle tomorrow to do the same. Hopefully we will get into some cobia while we are out. The weather hasn't been suitable for us to take our boat offshore, but the weather this week looks amazing.
Apparently the NC cobia fishing has been pretty good this year. I've never caught one but I always carry a cobia rig when I'm surf fishing in case I see a flock of birds or a school of menhaden. Good luck!

42lb mahi is legit 87, what boat?

I've never seriously fished saltwater. I'm going to bring my gear to the outer banks this summer. What can I catch in mid June and what bait should I be using?

I've never seriously fished saltwater. I'm going to bring my gear to the outer banks this summer. What can I catch in mid June and what bait should I be using?
(assuming you'll be surf fishing or pier fishing)

It's tough to beat fresh shrimp from a grocery store/tackle shop/local stand. It's a versatile bait as you can catch whiting/pinfish/pompano/bluefish/flounder/spot/croaker/ladyfish/sharks/rays/reds/drum and others. Honestly I think the only inshore/surf fish that doesn't seem to like shrimp is sheepshead (also cobia if you count that as 'inshore'). All of these species should be in the OBX in mid June to varying degrees. The problem in mid June is that the water temp is getting high so the bite won't be as good as it is right now in May. Sand fleas are another really good bait as they seem to attract larger fish but they do not attract as many species as shrimp and they are harder to find; you either need to catch them yourself or find a tackle shop that provides them. Plus they are high maintenance to keep alive. Squid strips are OK but from my experiences they seem to attract sharks.

A two-hook bottom rig will do the trick. 2oz weight will hold bottom and the heaviest you'll need is 3oz in a strong current. The lighter the weight the easier it is to feel the bite. Another cool rig is the Sabiki rig (it has 6 small hooks).

Apparently the NC cobia fishing has been pretty good this year. I've never caught one but I always carry a cobia rig when I'm surf fishing in case I see a flock of birds or a school of menhaden. Good luck!

42lb mahi is legit 87, what boat?

Dad caught a 58 lb, citation worthy cobia a few years back. He came back for Mrstsys graduation but said they're tearing up dolphin and Spanish mackerel.

good grief 58lbs that's awesome! my puny 6ft ugly stick would break in half if i hooked into that

I could very well be the worst fisherman to ever be put on this earth. I love going fishing, all types, but if you want to black cat someone in a tournament, just buy me a spot on their boat. It is so bad I honestly never go anymore. Use to fish all the time growing up, and through college, now it is just too frustrating.

I could very well be the worst fisherman to ever be put on this earth. I love going fishing, all types, but if you want to black cat someone in a tournament, just buy me a spot on their boat. It is so bad I honestly never go anymore. Use to fish all the time growing up, and through college, now it is just too frustrating.
The great thing about fishing is that you can target easy or hard species. I love catching a lot of sunfish and pinfish ("easy" fish) using worms, small lures, sabiki rigs etc. It sounds weird but catching the "easy" fish is still a lot of fun because it fulfills the primal instinct of providing food, although I'll admit our ancestors didn't have the benefit of using rigs with multiple hooks. The harder species like marlin or cobia - or big largemouth bass - make it more rewarding when you do catch them.

Our new toy. Should be able to get it in the water in the next few weeks. Cannot wait.
ojhtm0.jpg

Ha. I'm generally fine if I'm out fishing by myself or with others, but if you put me on a boat with my grandfather, we couldn't catch a thing. And this is a guy who had multiple Bassmaster trophies sitting on his shelf, including a regional championship on the day I was born. He absolutely knew what he was doing, but putting me on the boat was basically a guarantee of an empty live well. We always had a great time, but we never caught a damn thing.

Back