• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Our new toy. Should be able to get it in the water in the next few weeks. Cannot wait.
ojhtm0.jpg

Nice boat
I have a sea hunt, but other than the brand (and color), that boat looks identical to mine. It works for inshore fishing and nearshore (I've run about 12-15 miles from the Jetties in Charleston...could go farther, but I'm not that brave yet)

Nice boat
I have a sea hunt, but other than the brand (and color), that boat looks identical to mine. It works for inshore fishing and nearshore (I've run about 12-15 miles from the Jetties in Charleston...could go farther, but I'm not that brave yet)

I've been looking at the "semi-V" Carolina Skiff's, but I'm thinking a true V would be nicer to get out a few miles. My only concern is being able to come back to lakes...what does a boat like that draft? I know I can look it up, but I'm more looking for experience...i.e. have you had much trouble or felt limited getting into more shallow spots you might like to fish ?The nice part about the semi-V Skiff is that it drafts about what a bass boat does, but I'm sure it doesn't ride nearly as well in off-shore chop. Trying to find an all-around boat that will pull a skier and hold the family at the lake, but also allow me to get out a few miles on a nice day at the coast.

having grown up on boats it's my dream to one day be able to have one of my own. but that'd have to be waaaay down the line.

I've been looking at the "semi-V" Carolina Skiff's, but I'm thinking a true V would be nicer to get out a few miles. My only concern is being able to come back to lakes...what does a boat like that draft? I know I can look it up, but I'm more looking for experience...i.e. have you had much trouble or felt limited getting into more shallow spots you might like to fish ?The nice part about the semi-V Skiff is that it drafts about what a bass boat does, but I'm sure it doesn't ride nearly as well in off-shore chop. Trying to find an all-around boat that will pull a skier and hold the family at the lake, but also allow me to get out a few miles on a nice day at the coast.

this isn't my boat, but it's the exact same boat (same color and T-top and everything)
20120720_175435.jpg

It's a Sea Hunt Triton 207, with a 150 4 stroke yamaha on the back. (20ft 7 inches)
It's empty weight with the engine is about 3000lbs (I think the boat itself is 2500 and the engine is a little under 500)
Sea Hunt says it drafts 18 inches, which is probably accurate, although obviously with the motor, you probably need at least 2.5 ft. I haven't had much trouble with shallow areas honestly, i think a bay boat might be able to get by with about 6 inches less water than me, but can't even come close to handling the chop like my boat can.
I'm pretty pleased with the boat....sometimes when I'm inshore I wish it was more of a pure inshore boat and sometimes I wish it was a 24fter (when it's a little rough for me to run out), but it allows me to get to 95% of the inshore spots I want to hit and gives me reasonable ability to handle the open ocean if things get a little dicey.

Last edited:
Looks like Friday may be the first decent day to go offshore. Winds are kicking swells 4-6ft, at 6 second intervals. Not great fishing weather.

We finally got to take the boat out today. We looked for but didn't find any cobia, we trolled and caught some Spanish Mackeral, then went to a few wrecks and bottom fished catching sea bass and flounder. All in all a good day, except after being absent all day, the wind picked up from the northeast. It got really rough on the way in real quick.

Back