• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Caught a 5lb catfish on Lake Norman this weekend using a spinner bait, it's only the second time I've done this. Also caught a few bass and panfish. I had two really nice fish on that got off.

Next week, I'm taking my annual trip to Sea Pines at Hilton Head for the week. I will spend every morning surf fishing an inlet and catching hella sharks and hopefully a red drum or two.

Also, this:
mcrw9h.jpg

Next week, I'm taking my annual trip to Sea Pines at Hilton Head for the week. I will spend every morning surf fishing an inlet and catching hella sharks and hopefully a red drum or two.
I fished there Memorial Day and even though I only fished a few hours for whiting it seems like a great spot. I fished at South Beach near Braddock Point. There's a nice tackle shop near Salty Dog and I still can't believe the picture they had on the register of a guy catching a tarpon from the surf. I talked to 3 local fishermen and they all kept raving about how it was a great fishing spot.

Last edited:
Yeah, I spend a good deal of time and money at Blue Water Tackle each year. I fish the same place you were talking about. The problem is that parts of the area are very shallow and hold no fish. Also, the vast majority of what is out there is of the shark variety. I have caught 2 6-foot sharks in that exact spot. It is easily the sharkiest beach I have experienced. But over around the corner near braddock point the water is much more dynamic. I have seen a 36" drum pulled out of the inlet about 100 yards south of the rock wall. Much better chance for fish. Also that rock wall is excellent for blue crab. For bait, I avoid shrimp and squid because the sharks attack it and instead go for live bait with the cast net. Seems to work pretty well at attracting fish and repelling sharks.
141lj6g.jpg

I fished with shrimp on an incoming tide with only one rod (shrug) and I started just north of the Salty Dog. Like you said it was really shallow in spots and it was an instant bite on 6-8 inch small whiting. Instead of looking for holes to the north I moved south where the waves got bigger and I caught a bluefish and a bunch of nicer whiting in the 12-14 inch range. I only caught one small blacktip shark. If the tide was outgoing I probably would have moved north where it would have been easier to spot the fishing holes, but instead I moved south where I had a better chance of finding deep water and avoiding shallow spots.

Also on that map right between 'Salty Dog' and 'Braddock Point' the slough came right up to shore near a giant beached tree stump and that was a good fishing spot. Good luck Drew!

sooooooooo in doing some backpacking in nocal i decided i want to try to do some trout fishing when i do it. i've never done fly fishing, but that seems to be the name of the game in the streams/creeks/lakes here. i was talking to an old dude at this lake, and he was swearing by the tankara method for backpacking as you only need a rod, flies, and line. anyone ever tried it? any other suggestions?

sooooooooo in doing some backpacking in nocal i decided i want to try to do some trout fishing when i do it. i've never done fly fishing, but that seems to be the name of the game in the streams/creeks/lakes here. i was talking to an old dude at this lake, and he was swearing by the tankara method for backpacking as you only need a rod, flies, and line. anyone ever tried it? any other suggestions?

I've never hear of tenkara before, but after reading about it, it sounds cool. Have you checked out the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club (http://www.ggacc.org/)? I think they do free casting classes on monthly basis. They probably have some people that can help you figure out what's best for your trip.

I'd never heard of Tenkara before, but it's basically how I've always fished small streams anyway. Strip a bunch of line off the reel and don't fool with it too much. If i ever got something on the line I'd pull it in and probably end up going to the reel, but in small water with trout of only a few lbs at the most it's really not necessary to go to the reel.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Tenkara before, but it's basically how I've always fished small streams anyway. Strip a bunch of line off the reel and don't fool with it too much. If i ever got something on the line I'd pull it in and probably end up going to the reel, but in small water with trout of only a few lbs at the most it's really not necessary to go to the reel.

Exactly. I'd rather have the reel in case I come across a pond I want to fish with more than a few feet of line.

2 Spanish, 1 massive Barracuda, and a 35 lb citation King off the coast of OIB today!

damn those are some massive fish, are you a mile or two off the coast?

damn those are some massive fish, are you a mile or two off the coast?

The King and Barracuda were caught at "'90 '90" which is about 9 miles off the coast of Sunset/OIB. The drum was caught at an artificial reef just a few hundred yards off shore (you can see Sunset Beach in the background of the pic)

Back