• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Christ, leave it to a OGBoards to turn a thread about fishing into a sanctimonious douche-off.

I know the laws - much better than any of you. I have never possessed an over or undersized fish, nor have I exceeded the legal bag limit. None of the fish pictures are under or over slot. It may come as a surprise, but the limit is three per person. I fish a lot and I get checked a lot. I've never been issued so much as a warning.

Another reason to take up wade fishing in Texas. Never been checked (although I don't go a ton as I don't live there, but do go every time we visit, which is several times a year). Still follow the law, but getting checked is a pain.

Definitely been checked a lot hunting the public game lands around Jordan Lake though. Got interrogated over a goose one time (we hadn't shot at it or killed it, but some idiots in our area were calling in geese and shooting at them out of season).

Does the Pit have any suggestions about moderately priced rods, waders, boots, & tackle? To me (and the guide said this) the reel is not that important as its simple not used much.

So if you are fishing small streams around Brevard, an ideal rod would be a shorter fiberglass rod. (A very slow action, which I think helps in learning to cast since you can feel the rod load. This gives you a better understanding of casting dynamics) The best deal going would be one like this http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2016/04/cabelas-one-day-cgr-fly-rod-series-60.html when they go on sale for 50 or 60% off several times per year. I would suggest the 7 foot 4/5 wt. Agreed -- you can get by with a cheap reel because the only purpose on small streams is to hold line. You can get a good deal on line from http://www.hookhack.com/html/flylines.html Get a 5 wt line. (I think Mercury Dime has some experience with these lines, maybe he will chime in.)

If you can't find the Cabela's rod on sale, check out the Eagle Claw fiberglass fly rods. I think you can get them at Walmart. They are perfectly functional and preferred by many excellent fly fishermen.

Don't get waders to start. You don't need them on small streams for half the year (April through September). Just get a pair of wading boots and neoprene socks. (You would need waders to wade tail waters, but that is a different game anyway and probably not the ideal learning environment)

For flies, check out http://caylorcustomflies.com. Call Roger Caylor on the phone and tell him what you want to do. He knows western NC and can help you put together a good selection at an exceedingly fair price.

Buy the video Faults and Fixes as shown here - http://kriegerflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-dvds/ Also, get some instruction from an FFF certified casting instructor.

Last edited:
When do you drink beer when fly fishing? Before/After? Seems like a lot of work

I was actually having too much fun to even think about it. My wife remarked after that this was the first time we have been in a river and there has not been any booze around.

Depends on how mobile you plan on being while wading in the stream. Good method is to tie a small inflatable float to your belt. Make sure the float has a bottom in it to throw a bag of ice in and place beer on ice. The float will stay with you and when you are ready to take a break from casting, you'll have cold beer on ice right next to you. You can also store your empties in the float until you get back to shore.

For fly rods, I love Sage but they can be a little higher priced. I have a Sage Launch (it's been discontinued) in a 8'6" 5 weight. I also have a Reddington 7'6" 4 weight that is really good for small streams. Reddington is a great value brand. They are owned by Sage so a lot of the components are the same. You can buy a Crosswater outfit for around $150 which comes with the rod, reel, backing, fly line, a leader, and a rod tube. Cabelas has a selection: Reddington Crosswater. Another excellent choice is the Orvis Clearwater in both the rod and reel. Rods are around $200 and reels are $90.

For waders, I really like the set of Cabelas that I've had for the past 5 years or so. These Cabelas Premium Stockingfoot Waders are great and only $120 right now. I recommend stockingfoot waders with a separate boot. That seems to provide more support and stability.

What about waders? I liked the Simms we used but $5oo a pair sounds extreme to me.

Unless you're planning on being over waist deep in exceedingly cold water, bag the waders. Like AMC said, get yourself a pair of wading boots and neoprene socks. Combine those with some nylon pants if you'd like, or, I wear a pair of long-leg cycling tights under a pair of cargo shorts to minimize brush/insect issues.

So if you are fishing small streams around Brevard, an ideal rod would be a shorter fiberglass rod. (A very slow action, which I think helps in learning to cast since you can feel the rod load. This gives you a better understanding of casting dynamics) The best deal going would be one like this http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2016/04/cabelas-one-day-cgr-fly-rod-series-60.html when they go on sale for 50 or 60% off several times per year. I would suggest the 7 foot 4/5 wt. Agreed -- you can get by with a cheap reel because the only purpose on small streams is to hold line. You can get a good deal on line from http://www.hookhack.com/html/flylines.html Get a 5 wt line. (I think Mercury Dime has some experience with these lines, maybe he will chime in.)

If you can't find the Cabela's rod on sale, check out the Eagle Claw fiberglass fly rods. I think you can get them at Walmart. They are perfectly functional and preferred by many excellent fly fishermen.

Don't get waders to start. You don't need them on small streams for half the year (April through September). Just get a pair of wading boots and neoprene socks. (You would need waders to wade tail waters, but that is a different game anyway and probably not the ideal learning environment)

For flies, check out http://caylorcustomflies.com. Call Roger Caylor on the phone and tell him what you want to do. He knows western NC and can help you put together a good selection at an exceedingly fair price.

Buy the video Faults and Fixes as shown here - http://kriegerflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-dvds/ Also, get some instruction from an FFF certified casting instructor.

I have all manner of fly lines, and they are focused for specific purposes, depending on the environment in which I'll be fishing. If I had to pick one for smaller WNC streams (where I do most of my fly fishing), it would be a longer bellied 4WT Double Taper. Nice for dry fly presentation, and roll casts well, which is key on small streams surrounded by brush. I do like a Weight Forward 4/5 as well if short casting distances are to be the norm. Especially with a fiberglass rod (which I've learned to love all over again...it's what I started with), a WF loads the rod more quickly. If you cast more than 30 or more feet on most WNC streams that will be exception rather than the rule.

Go with a fiberglass rod, like AMC says...and you can thank us later! :)

Do you guys have any thoughts on the Orvis Encounter set up?

That 9' rod (even the 8'6" package) is a bit long for most freestone trout fishing. You'll be better served with something in the 7'-8' range on most streams. The longer rods are better suited to larger, more open streams, and that would include tailwater fishing. A 4 WT or 5 WT line will cover most of what you'd need to do. I fish a 4WT of some variety more often than not.

That said, hard to go wrong with Orvis stuff. Superb products and excellent warranty service. The price is right on that outfit. Be nice if they had a 7'6" 4WT outfit, though, at that price. The Superfine Glass outfit runs north of $500, but that's a damn fine package!

As I can make time today, I'll poke around and see what's out there.

Last edited:
I've never tried them myself but I've heard good things about Temple Fork Outfitters rods. I think they have lower prices than some brands but are still good quality.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the Orvis Encounter set up?

Too long for many trout applications; I wouldn't personally recommend it. However, it would be fine for many of the wider delayed harvest streams.

Seriously, those Cabela's rod are the best deal going and are perfect for trout - you can't buy the components for what the finished rod costs, even at full price. I have a half dozen or more rods in the shorter length (below 8 ft) and weight ranges (below 5 wt) but at that price I still added two of the Cabela's rods just to have them around. I will probably fish one of them tomorrow in a local wild stream.

I also agree with the comment re TFO rods -- excellent rod if you are looking for something else. For trout, I would consider, for example, the 7' 9" 4wt from the Finesse series. I would probably step it up to a 5 wt line, as well. Personally, I prefer something like a 7 ft rod for the Davidson but it will certainly be fine to go a little longer.

That said, hard to go wrong with Orvis stuff. Superb products and excellent warranty service. The price is right on that outfit. Be nice if they had a 7'6" 4WT outfit, though, at that price. The Superfine Glass outfit runs north of $500, but that's a damn fine package!

Agree with that comment. Orvis has great products, unbeatable customer/warranty service and the Superfine series is classic -- also on sale this weekend. http://www.orvis.com/store/product....=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5114&subcat_id=44125 If you want to make things easy and have a rod you will fish forever, with re-sale value if you were ever so inclined, you can't go wrong with that Orvis set up.

Here is another Orvis option at a lower price point - http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-5-weight-7-6-fly-rod/4y03 However, this rod won't have any appreciable re-sale value while you would always be able to re-sell the SuperFine at a fair price. (They are overstating the point about heavy flies - I agree this rod will throw a heavier fly, and cast a tandem rig with authority, but the Clearwater will also be fine for a dry fly even if not the most delicate option on the market. FWIW, many of the classic small stream bamboo rods, sometimes used exclusively for dry flies and cherished for NC mountain streams, are 7 ft. 5 wt.)

Last edited:
Seriously, those Cabela's rod are the best deal going and are perfect for trout - you can't buy the components for what the finished rod costs, even at full price. I have a half dozen or more rods in the shorter length (below 8 ft) and weight ranges (below 5 wt) but at that price I still added two of the Cabela's rods just to have them around. I will probably fish one of them tomorrow in a local wild stream.

I also agree with the comment re TFO rods -- excellent rod if you are looking for something else. For trout, I would consider, for example, the 7' 9" 4wt from the Finesse series. I would probably step it up to a 5 wt line, as well. Personally, I prefer something like a 7 ft rod for the Davidson but it will certainly be fine to go a little longer.

Agree with that comment. Orvis has great products, unbeatable customer/warranty service and the Superfine series is classic -- also on sale this weekend. http://www.orvis.com/store/product....=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5114&subcat_id=44125 If you want to make things easy and have a rod you will fish forever, with re-sale value if you were ever so inclined, you can't go wrong with that Orvis set up.

Here is another Orvis option at a lower price point - http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-5-weight-7-6-fly-rod/4y03 However, this rod won't have any appreciable re-sale value while you would always be able to re-sell the SuperFine at a fair price. (They are overstating the point about heavy flies - I agree this rod will throw a heavier fly, and cast a tandem rig with authority, but the Clearwater will also be fine for a dry fly even if not the most delicate option on the market. FWIW, many of the classic small stream bamboo rods, sometimes used exclusively for dry flies and cherished for NC mountain streams, are 7 ft. 5 wt.)

AMC is right about the Cabela's rods. I own two: the 5'9" 3WT and the 6'6" 4 WT. I joined AMC for the smaller rod's inaugural run ago on a wild trout stream here a couple weeks ago. Based on what I paid for the rig and what I have in other rods/reels, this all-Cabela's outfit (I had to put it together) fishes exceptionally well. Hell, if it hadn't been for AMC I'd not known about the CGR rod series' deal and its value. Impressive. And, given the entry cost, you don't have to worry so much about nicks and dings on the rod. If you fish one long enough, it's bound to happen. Like taking a guitar out on a gig. It'll find something to whop itself up against sooner than later!

Seems all the CGR rods are on back-order currently, but might be worth the wait. Call them and ask how long it might be.

I have not fished a TFO rod, but I'd like to!

AMC fished a rod when we went out a couple weeks ago that he better keep an eye on... ;). Talk about roll-casting perfection. Nice.

Hey (any of you), let's go fishin'! I'm sure AMC and I will be out again before too long...

I must confess to being on a fiberglass binge. It's what I started on back in the day. Today's glass is more refined. It's a real joy.

I'll post some thoughts as I try some things out over the next few weeks.

My guide was telling me since we are just starting out it would be hard to tell much difference between the Encounter and the Clearwater. That's good to here as Encounter outfit is $160 cheaper that can be used for other gear.

We getting ready to get our kayaks and taking them fishing next weekend on the nuese. I could not be more excited. We got them set up with the angler system.

My guide was telling me since we are just starting out it would be hard to tell much difference between the Encounter and the Clearwater. That's good to here as Encounter outfit is $160 cheaper that can be used for other gear.

So, he (and you) think you'll be better served all 'round by a rod that's 8'6" to 9' and uses line wieght either 5 or 6? Seems a bit much for the type of fishing you'll likely wind up doing beyond this initial trip. Those Orvis package rods are huge!

I'd still recommend something in the 7'-8' range with a 4 or 5WT line.

You are welcome to meet Mercury Dime and me some weekend if you want to try a variety of rods and catch some wild trout. You can test rods from $30 to some a good bit higher up the cost curve. My guess is you would still decide to pick the Cabela's or Eagle Claw fiberglass rods in something 7.5 ft or shorter, 4 or 5 wt, as your first rod. My home waters are the wild streams north of Morganton off 181. MercuryDime's home waters are the wild streams just a bit farther west.

Back