• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

So, my wife and I signed up for a two day fly fishing clinic. I've wanted to learn for years and we are finally going to get the chance.

All of my experience is in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. The website says we need to bring waders but the guy on the phone told my wife it's warm enough that you don't need them.

What should we be wearing when we get out there? I don't want to totally break the bank but would appreciate insight.

So, my wife and I signed up for a two day fly fishing clinic. I've wanted to learn for years and we are finally going to get the chance.

All of my experience is in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. The website says we need to bring waders but the guy on the phone told my wife it's warm enough that you don't need them.

What should we be wearing when we get out there? I don't want to totally break the bank but would appreciate insight.

Make sure you have some kind of water shoes...Keens, Tevas, Chacos, etc. Something with a hard toe on it so you don't tear up your feet on the rocks in the river. You need that, a rod, a vest, a net, tackle(flies) and some beer. Should be good.

Fortunately they are providing all the equipment so we just need clothing. I'm good on hat, shirt, sunglasses. Just need pants and footwear.

Fortunately they are providing all the equipment so we just need clothing. I'm good on hat, shirt, sunglasses. Just need pants and footwear.

You'll want something that minimizes the hazards of slippery rocks. Felt-soled boots/shoes are a great place to start. Wear some pants that are a quick dry nylon...not the plasticy kind. Light and loose. I wear shorts and long cycling tights underneath.

Last edited:

Probably doesn't need to be said but make sure your sunglasses have polarized lenses, the lenses cut the glare down on the water and make it easier to see the fish.

Probably doesn't need to be said but make sure your sunglasses have polarized lenses, the lenses cut the glare down on the water and make it easier to see the fish.

Thanks. We both have Costa sunglasses with polarized lenses. We were out on the Gulf and came across a school of dolphin and everybody but my wife had polarized lenses. She was confused what everybody was pointing at so I let her us my sunglasses and her response was basically "Holy crap. Look at all those fish."

Instead of Keens we actually have the lands end versions. We love them and they are half the price of Keens.

Quick dry nylon pants or shorts. Ideally, get a pair of wading boots and neoprene wading socks. But you could also get by with Keens or something like that.

Nick Speckled I caught in Tubs Inlet, OIB this weekend. Had 8 keeper Flounder as well but nothing overly impressive. Something completely spooled me around dusk Saturday night but I never saw what it was. I'm assuming a 60-80 lb Skate or a massive Red Drum. It never made it to the surface.

13708169_10157177816500534_5574619998240761206_o.jpg

Thanks. I'll save the wading boots until I figure out how much I'm going to be able to get out there.

Thanks. We both have Costa sunglasses with polarized lenses. We were out on the Gulf and came across a school of dolphin and everybody but my wife had polarized lenses. She was confused what everybody was pointing at so I let her us my sunglasses and her response was basically "Holy crap. Look at all those fish."

The Costa 580G lenses (G for glass) have no equal for fishing applications. The 580P and the Smith Chromopop have optical plastic lenses, are lighter weight, and are priced a little less painfully. These three choices don't have any competition when it comes to fishing applications. I wear Chromopops - they are amazing.

Looking for a small fish finder for my kayak (preferably under $200). Was looking at the Garmin striker 4 and the lowrance hook. Anyone have any experience with those or any other recommendations?

Was also checking out the deeper portable, but I'm not crazy about having my phone on my kayak. Anyone ever used that?

I'm of no help, but I have to warn you to watch out for submerged sofas, especially while kayaking.

Back