• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

WED, also know that it'll vary during different times of the year. Bass strike different lures depending on the temperature, clarity, and oxygen levels of the water. What might work today could be useless next week. Bass are predators, and strike a lure for two reasons: they're hungry, or they're defending their space. You have to find a lure that they find tasty, or something that pisses them off. I'm a huge fan of crankbaits, but in a pond, especially one that doesnt have water constantly flowing through it, you'll probably end up with lots of grass and algae.

Can't go wrong with plastic worms and lizards for spring time bass....especially when they start bedding. We tore up the bass in a neighborhood pond in W-S last year on Texas wrigged Zoom watermelon seed lizards b/c those fish had never seen anything like it. Make sure you know what you are casting into before you throw a weighted lure though. Work your structure, be patient, and don't spook the fish. If you have access to a jon boat or canoe and can work the bank from 30' out, it'll be lights out!

Also love some Zoom trick worms for topwater action right around dusk. Buzz baits for early morning fishing.

Where abouts? My cousin hooked a big cat a few weeks ago, but fouled his line on a log and lost it. Most of what he's been catching has been <2 lbs. I finally got the trees cut behind my house, but I'm still a few years away from making it fish-able.

64 access. That's the best luck I've had. Hopefully will be getting a boat by the end of summer so I can catch the granddaddys at Idols.

When you do, let me know. Stop by on the way up and pick me up. My grandfather is seriously considering getting a skiff to use as a river boat. If he does that, I may be speeding up my behind the house launch.

Do you catch mainly flathead catfish on the Yadkin? I need to try it sometime this summer around Lewisville.

I love catching channel cats the best, but there are also flatheads and blues. Going in Lewisville will cut down on the size of the fish since you're above the dam. There are mostly channel cats up there. The larger cats come up from High Rock and make it to Idols where they cant go any further.

Thanks for the Yadkin advice! I love going on Google Earth and mapping out a fishing spot

The Yadkin is a great curvy river, with some very large boulders. Behind my house, there are some the size of small buses. To find the really deep holes where the larger fish like to hang out, look for the banks on the outside of the bends. Those areas usually have more force to the water and they carve out larger holes. Larger holes = larger fish.

That was an awesome story. After watching it a couple times, I'm still amazed he can fish considering his limitations.

Went to Yaupon Reef again today. Nothing but bluefish biting so we went to the ICWW under the Oak Island Bridge and on nearby docks. My brother in law caught a NICE 24" Redfish. It made the trip worth it.

That was an awesome story. After watching it a couple times, I'm still amazed he can fish considering his limitations.

I've shot stories with some of the best pro's around, and Clay is no-shit one of the finest fisherman I've had the priveldge of meeting.

Creamy and I crushed it this Saturday on the Yadkin. Had a nice catfish fry Sunday night. One medium channel and a 30lb flathead.
25uqots.jpg

28199iv.jpg

Damn!! Roll some of those chunks in a little House Autry, drop some puppies down and life is great. I miss NC now...

In my experience, the Channels and Blues produce better filets than the flatheads. I would have loved to seen you attack that mammoth with the filet knife. It's also always incredible to me how hard it is to kill a catfish.

I hate fileting the bigger cats. They tend to be very greasy when you steak them out. They're fun as hell to catch, but to eat, I'd rather have a 1lb channel cat that is cooked whole.

In my experience, the Channels and Blues produce better filets than the flatheads. I would have loved to seen you attack that mammoth with the filet knife. It's also always incredible to me how hard it is to kill a catfish.

I hate fileting the bigger cats. They tend to be very greasy when you steak them out. They're fun as hell to catch, but to eat, I'd rather have a 1lb channel cat that is cooked whole.
Yup, the channel tasted much better. Skinning the big guy was SO hard. Especially since it was 2 am and I was pretty drunk. He was still alive after I gutted him. It was only after I cut the head off that he finally stopped moving. Catfish won't die. I've heard people just cutting the filets then tossing the carcass back in the river only to watch the fish swim away.

Back