• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

I'm here. Took some time away from the boards. I am subscribed to this thread, though. I have been 'keeping up' from a distance...

AMC and I have been on a couple outings since I last posted.

I've had a couple fiberglass rods made over the last year or so. My occasion to use them has not been as accommodating as I'd like, however. That will change!

Hope everyone is safe and well. If you find yourself in WNC area, holler, we can try and hunt some up. Give me an even better excuse to go fishin'!

I’ll be surf fishing at Sunset the 14th-20th - Caught a bunch of whiting and a nice black drum there last month. Caught two nice reds from the surf last year. You are more than welcome to join although surf fishing probably seems lame when you have a boat.
Caught 14 whiting, 4 spot, 3 bluefish, 3 dogfish, 3 skates (one was huge and took 15mins to land) a croaker and a pinfish in ~4hrs surf fishing. The bite was better last month but still can’t complain with the results. Made for an excellent fish fry and ceviche! I typically surf fish at low tide since it’s easier to identify and travel to the fishing locations; I tried high tide this year and I noticed a substantial increase in the size of fish I caught. Also only catching one pinfish is a small miracle considering I’ve caught 20+ pinfish a few trips. My guess is fishing early morning before the sun is blazing helped keep the pinfish away.

Reeling in a huge skate after a 15min fight thinking it’s a nice drum the whole time is the equivalent of Trent Strickland missing the 360 dunk / Redick drilling the 3 thinking we’d beat Duke the whole game

I've never mistaken a big ray for a drum after a few minutes. It's like reeling in a mattress.

The weather was terrible at Ocean Isle last weekend when I was down but we made it out into the inlet one day. 5 flounder, 2 croaker, 1 black bass was all the damage we managed to do.

Just finished up 2 half day floats on the Arkansas River (fri pm, sat am). Friday night was awesome - double dries the whole way down the river. We saw this guy feeding across the river while taking a break in an eddy...rowed the boat over, made the cast and BAM - he attacked the Chubby Chernobyl! Nice shoulders on this fish; hope he turns into a big one.

This morning was dry-dropper and then streamer fishing. Took me a while to get it down, but had a freaking blast once I got dialed in - we moved a TON of fish with the streamer. Even landed a few!
96f800ec3e7b06662332d85acdf9cf28.jpg

Reeling in a huge skate after a 15min fight thinking it’s a nice drum the whole time is the equivalent of Trent Strickland missing the 360 dunk / Redick drilling the 3 thinking we’d beat Duke the whole game

I was at that game, I remember it so vividly.

That was more equivalent to getting dick punched in the soul than catching a fish.

Sad vibes

I’ve won as a dad - Every weekend my daughter asks if we can go fishing.

Caught a nice catfish at Freedom Park last weekend on a Mepps spinner. I’ve biked Little Sugar Creek enough to know where the productive spots are for nonstop sunfish action - Even managed to catch a bass there today.

Fishing Lake Lure next month, I’m excited to try a new location.

I was at that game, I remember it so vividly.

That was more equivalent to getting dick punched in the soul than catching a fish.

Sad vibes

There’s a generation of us who will talk about that game like the old timers talk about the shot clock game or whatever. I’ll certainly never forget it.

Anyone have a rec for an introductory surf fishing rod? I got my little girls some zebco starter rods until they can start fly fishing with me, but they want to try to catch a fish at the beach. (not looking for a kids surf rod)

Just go to Dick's and pick up a spinning combo with a two piece rod in your price range. I've had good luck with the Penn Fierce combos that run about $100. Just rinse them out real good after every use. Bass Pro also has similar stuff that will work just fine.

Forgot this thread existed, but it's been a good 12 months on the fishing front. Bought a boat and a place on the sound side of Topsail this past fall. Been down there trying to learn reds and trout in the creeks and trying to get off the beach to bottom fish and troll for mackerel when the weather allows (only a 17 footer).

Heading out to the Bob Marshall Wilderness in a few weeks to spend a week on horseback fishing some pretty remote rivers.

Jordan had a pretty nice fish yesterday.

Sounds like a Jarrett boat hooked up with a blue about 10:30 AM yesterday. Fought it for 8 hours until they lost the fish and likely 1.5M.

Fish boated after a 4 hour fight. Will be interesting to see if it's over 500.

Forgot that last year's winner was only a 35 foot contender. It's a sick boat, don't get me wrong, but it's a minnow compared to the 70+ footers and way smaller than average for a big offshore tournament.

Back