• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

If I do a double rig, I might rig up a minnow and a shrimp to cover all bases. Any advantage to fresh shrimp over the frozen from the bait shop?
Thanks.
I like the minnow/shrimp idea. Fresh shimp is fresher and it definitely makes a difference scent-wise to a fish as opposed to frozen. If there's not a grocery store nearby then bait shop shrimp is fine.

I stole the fresh shrimp idea from this article from Jeffrey Weeks (NC surf fishing legend).
http://www.examiner.com/article/carolina-fishing-report-sea-mullet-bite-still-strong-tips-and-tactics

"For bait use fresh shrimp or Fishbites bloodworms or both. When I say fresh shrimp I mean fresh shrimp from the seafood market you would normally eat. Do not buy previously frozen “bait” shrimp or buy shrimp from the supermarket unless you know it is local. It may sound silly but fish know the difference and really fresh local shrimp will out-fish frozen shrimp 10 to 1."

Racer, and this is just my 0.02, but if you are looking for a lot of action I'd get fresh shrimp from a grocery store for beach fishing. You get a lot more action (sea mullet, sharks, pinfish, maybe bluefish/mackeral/drum) than mud minnows, which attract larger game fish like flounder and drum.

What kind of success have you experienced with the grocery store shrimp staying on the hook? We always get them from the local stands because they're already salted and a little tougher. We had to buy some from a grocery store in a pinch once, and the things kept disintegrating not long after we cast them.

I always double-hook shrimp, and I cut one shrimp into thirds. Leaving the shell on definitely helps. When the tide's right it's basically an instant bite from pinfish and sea mullet as soon as the rig hits bottom, and I love the action, but yeah it is definitely easy to get cleaned within a minute or so. I've never tried the Fishbites bloodworms.

Leave the shell on. Use larger sized baitholder hooks. Through the head, down through the body and out the tail. Ocean fish have surprisingly large mouths.

(like your mom)

I always double-hook shrimp, and I cut one shrimp into thirds. Leaving the shell on definitely helps. When the tide's right it's basically an instant bite from pinfish and sea mullet as soon as the rig hits bottom, and I love the action, but yeah it is definitely easy to get cleaned within a minute or so. I've never tried the Fishbites bloodworms.

Everything I've read says that mullet/whiting were strong in April. If they are still strong in May, I will be happy. Plenty of action and some of the best eating fish sounds good.

One of the best baits out there, but bloodworms will bite back!!

Fishing in the Reelin for Research tournament this weekend off Morehead. Hoping for calm seas!

Anybody ever fish in the streams/rivers in Jefferson National Forest north of Roanoke, VA?
It beautiful country and most of the stream I fish in is knee to waist deep and so clear you can see the bottom.....as well as the fish.
We have a place up there on Craig Creek and sometimes it can be days without seeing any other people. It's a great getaway and the fishing is good.

Did some wild trout fishing today here in WNC. The buddy and I caught around 30 total (all catch and release, of course) pretty well evenly split between browns, rainbows, and specks. Large fish of the day was a 14 inch native brown. It was a beautiful day in some incredible country...

Did some wild trout fishing today here in WNC. The buddy and I caught around 30 total (all catch and release, of course) pretty well evenly split between browns, rainbows, and specks. Large fish of the day was a 14 inch native brown. It was a beautiful day in some incredible country...

Nice report on the wild trout. I have had a couple brookie trips this year. Here is a video a friend made of one of the trips -- http://vimeo.com/38888302 Fished a blue line off the parkway a few days before the trip in the video. Ultra rugged and a beautiful stream but the trout bite was disappointing. Small-stream, wild trout are my favorite game.

Nice report on the wild trout. I have had a couple brookie trips this year. Here is a video a friend made of one of the trips -- http://vimeo.com/38888302 Fished a blue line off the parkway a few days before the trip in the video. Ultra rugged and a beautiful stream but the trout bite was disappointing. Small-stream, wild trout are my favorite game.

I like the video! Looks so very familiar. Yesterday's excursions remained in one relatively small section of watershed, and it was some pretty rough country on the speck hunt. We had a pretty good bite going overall yesterday. I've had better. We had to quit the specks when we encountered a waterfall too tall and precipitous to negotiate (at that juncture)!

I loves me some small stream wild trout pursuits.

I like the video! Looks so very familiar. Yesterday's excursions remained in one relatively small section of watershed, and it was some pretty rough country on the speck hunt. We had a pretty good bite going overall yesterday. I've had better. We had to quit the specks when we encountered a waterfall too tall and precipitous to negotiate (at that juncture)!

I loves me some small stream wild trout pursuits.

What were they biting on? Did you use fly gear? I'm trying to get out this weekend but will probably just hit some stocked streams here in the Roanoke area.

What were they biting on? Did you use fly gear? I'm trying to get out this weekend but will probably just hit some stocked streams here in the Roanoke area.

I fly fish exclusively. Nymphed most of the day. Rubber-legged stone or similar (weighted), dark color, size 10 3x shank...the specks seemed to like a bead-head case caddis, tan/brown...or a red neck prince...both size 12 regular shank...

I think I am going tigerfishing in three weeks. Super excited

I fly fish exclusively. Nymphed most of the day. Rubber-legged stone or similar (weighted), dark color, size 10 3x shank...the specks seemed to like a bead-head case caddis, tan/brown...or a red neck prince...both size 12 regular shank...

This sounds so awesome. I wish Ohio had some better creeks.

This sounds so awesome. I wish Ohio had some better creeks.

Hey, TWDeac...you find yourself down Asheville way and we'll go wet a line, for sure! We might even head over Brevard way and see if we can find some of the white squirrels that inhabit that area (for real) :)

Last edited:
Went out on the Roanoke River in Salem Friday night after work. I caught a few sun fish on a #14 bead head hare's ear. There were some trout in the water and they were after my orange strike indicator. I changed to a orange egg thinking they were fresh stocked and were just hitting color but no dice. Then I tried a couple dry flies (Adams, Caddis, Yellow Sally, and midges). Still no luck. I wanted to get out Saturday or Sunday but there were some storms moving through and had some other stuff come up.

Back