• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Bump. After searching for good pond fishing in Winston I finally found a great spot at the Brookberry ponds. The other day I was bored using a crap $1 lure and I caught 3 in about an hour of fishing. I went out and bought a legit Strike King spinnerbait yesterday and caught 4 in a half hour (before the storms).

Blues were in the surf last weekend at Emerald Island. Caught a couple nice ones on some cut bait right off the beach.

Took my coworker's boat out Saturday afternoon, trolling around Shackleford Banks near Fort Macon and the inlet... Only caught a couple small bluefish. Sunday the weather would have been perfect but we were too lazy/sunburnt to get out there.

My friend Paul Rose is an accomplished fly fishing guide and a certified casting instructor. He is being interviewed now at http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/ for his specialty on carp fishing with a fly rod. Paul's website is http://carolinabonefishing.com For the fly fishers on here, you might enjoy the interview.

He is also an expert on trout and saltwater fishing (reds, tarpon, bones, etc.).

My friend Paul Rose is an accomplished fly fishing guide and a certified casting instructor. He is being interviewed now at http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/ for his specialty on carp fishing with a fly rod. Paul's website is http://carolinabonefishing.com For the fly fishers on here, you might enjoy the interview.

He is also an expert on trout and saltwater fishing (reds, tarpon, bones, etc.).

Much maligned but a great way to start a kid fishing. Not to mention how many times they have saved an otherwise bust of a trip.

No luck on our quest for Cobia a month ago down at Edisto. We fished the river, bay, and 2 artificial reefs but got skunked. However, I almost learned a very costly lesson.....never attempt to pull a black sea bass into the boat with your hand (boga grips) while sitting on a reef. About 5 feet from pulling it out of the water I felt an immense tug on my rod and my line screamed for 15 seconds.....then slack. Reel it back in and all I have is a bloody BSB head....lips still moving. My brother was going to land the fish but backed off as he saw a HUGE shark nail the BSB within eye sight in the water. I think next time we'll just use the net.

Also ran into an 6' alligator attempting to swim across the ICW. But of course we had to mess with it and came very close to foul hooking it from the boat. Don't know what we would have done with it.....wallets and boots maybe?

Caught four keeper red grouper with live pinners 13 miles off Clearwater on Monday...Mmmmm Mmmmmm good

Bump

I fished Tubbs Inlet at Sunset Beach NC last weekend. Caught the usual suspects of pinfish and sea mullet, and the sea mullet made for a great dinner. I fished one rod exclusively with mud minnows for flounder but I only had a few bites and no fish. Flounder bite was hot there in May and June but they are probably back out in the ocean to cooler water by now. It always seems like I catch a few weird fish there...last year I caught my first ladyfish, and this year I caught this mini velociraptor.

Can anyone identify the species?

fishxf.jpg

Last edited:
A photo my dad sent me from the Emerald Isle yesterday. They took a pic of their largest fish. Two Kings and a Flounder.

2aje7hh.jpg

Bump

I fished Tubbs Inlet at Sunset Beach NC last weekend. Caught the usual suspects of pinfish and sea mullet, and the sea mullet made for a great dinner. I fished one rod exclusively with mud minnows for flounder but I only had a few bites and no fish. Flounder bite was hot there in May and June but they are probably back out in the ocean to cooler water by now. It always seems like I catch a few weird fish there...last year I caught my first ladyfish, and this year I caught this mini velociraptor.

Can anyone identify the species?

fishxf.jpg

Hm not sure. Mostly replying to say ladyfish are fun to catch, but annoying because they aren't keepers.

I'm surf fishing Saturday , then taking a boat out to the gulf stream to bottom fish all day Sunday. Catch all the fishes.

This sounds so awesome. I wish Ohio had some better creeks.

Ever fish the Mad River, TW? I've seen some big trout come out of there. Also, some of the tributaries off the Great Miami are supposed to hold some nice fish.

Went surf fishing in Atlantic Beach this weekend, caught a bunch of pompano and mullet with the occasional pinfish and one small flounder.

Buddy of mine caught a 2 lb pompano off the pier a couple weeks ago:
DSCN4341.JPG

EI has always been a good place to fish for pompano. My grandfather caught a citation worthy pompano there a few few years back.

Took my boat out twice this weekend on the Yadkin. PhysToy caught her first fish ever on Saturday, a little catfish. Had better luck Sunday, but still nothing big. Had a 6-8lb cat on a limb line, but I got excited and didn't use the net and it snapped. I'll be using the net from now on.

Were you using regular fishing line or twine? We use a wax soaked twine that is great and has a higher tinsel strength than fishing line. The largest one we ever pulled in was 44lbs, but that was in the early 90s. The fish just arent getting as big as they used to.

what did you use for the cobia? you have to use the little floating crabs to really kill 'em.

caught two halibut in alaska. 15 lbs a pop. not terribly big for halibut, but good eating.

Caught four keeper red grouper with live pinners 13 miles off Clearwater on Monday...Mmmmm Mmmmmm good

thought the limit was 2 these days... did they bump it up or is that only the bigger groupers?

Back