• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

and by floating crabs i mean the small blue crabs you see floating around. net those and hook 'em up then toss 'em at the cobia. only way ive ever been able to get them to take bait.

Fellas you need to look at the fedora vs. fishing shirt thread. Someone just made the claim that a fedora has more utility than a fishing shirt.

Fellas you need to look at the fedora vs. fishing shirt thread. Someone just made the claim that a fedora has more utility than a fishing shirt.

Considering there might be some actual reason to wear a fedora everyday (light rain/sun), it seems reasonable. Still, I would never wear a fedora.

EI has always been a good place to fish for pompano. My grandfather caught a citation worthy pompano there a few few years back.

This pompano I caught on Oak Island a month ago was a citation fish (2lbs, 2 oz.) However, I didn't get it registered as I left the beach to come back home that night after the weigh station was closed. Oh well. It was delicious.

nqcmmd.jpg

rawarr/drew what did you use for the pompano, sand fleas?

A photo my dad sent me from the Emerald Isle yesterday. They took a pic of their largest fish. Two Kings and a Flounder.

2aje7hh.jpg

The flounder might be a bit under the limit...

Edit: Just saw Wuffey's reply.

I have caught pompano on sand fleas before, this weekend I was just using some shrimp.

My friend in the picture was actually fishing for spanish and caught that bigger one on a gotcha plug. I didn't know they would even hit those.

Heading down to Emerald Isle this weekend. Going out on a 42 footer for 5 hrs of fishing Saturday morning. Going to primarily try to head around 20 miles out for kings and dolphin, but may do some bottom fishing as well. Any other ideas to request from the captain?

My dad is down there now, and he said dolphin were hitting offshore a few weeks ago, but have dropped off shortly. They were actually fishing for dolphin when he caught the kings I posted above. Which boat are you going out on?

Took home 12 keepers bottom fishing the gulf stream yesterday. I scamp grouper, 3 red porgys, 1 beeliner, 3 grunts, and 4 Black Sea Bass. I'm gonna eat gooooood.

Took the boat out on the Yadkin again this weekend with PhysToy. Caught two keeper channel cats:
SHGB0.jpg

Also, don't think I ever posted this. ~30lb flathead caught on the Yadkin in early spring:
deIYm.jpg

We have a three acre pond on my parents farm with good fishing. Too good in fact, I am now led to believe.

We have mostly crappy, also some perch a few bass and catfish. In that order. These days I'm basically pulling the crappy out as fast as I can throw a line in.

The pond was stocked at some point before we bought the property. When I was a kid I used to catch some big crappy, 12-14 even up to 16 inches routinely. Now they are coming in maybe 8-9 inches tops. I'm thinking the pond just doesn't get fished enough and so they are not growing as big. Not enough food. Am I wrong? About a month ago my uncle pulled about 30 out of there, cleaned them, ate then, etc. I'm not as good with the knife especially when they are only 9 inchers. Also i just dont get out there enough. I'm debating just tossing them in the woods for the bears when I catch them. Ill eat as many as i can though. Any advice?

Chop them into chunks, put chunks on hooks, tie hooks to fishing line, tie fishing line to pool noodle, throw noodle into pond overnight. Catch catfish in the morning. Profit!

We have a three acre pond on my parents farm with good fishing. Too good in fact, I am now led to believe.

We have mostly crappy, also some perch a few bass and catfish. In that order. These days I'm basically pulling the crappy out as fast as I can throw a line in.

The pond was stocked at some point before we bought the property. When I was a kid I used to catch some big crappy, 12-14 even up to 16 inches routinely. Now they are coming in maybe 8-9 inches tops. I'm thinking the pond just doesn't get fished enough and so they are not growing as big. Not enough food. Am I wrong? About a month ago my uncle pulled about 30 out of there, cleaned them, ate then, etc. I'm not as good with the knife especially when they are only 9 inchers. Also i just dont get out there enough. I'm debating just tossing them in the woods for the bears when I catch them. Ill eat as many as i can though. Any advice?

No, you are spot on. How do your bass look? With that much forage they should be fat and sassy. You are correct in that you need to cull some out. I would buy some bass fry to help with the predation level. Also, your local game warden can point you in the right direction on how to find somebody to help manage your pond. We had the local Farm Bureau folks come out to help with ours on our hunting lease in Texas. Do not know who does it back home in NC

Took the boat out on the Yadkin again this weekend with PhysToy. Caught two keeper channel cats:
SHGB0.jpg

Also, don't think I ever posted this. ~30lb flathead caught on the Yadkin in early spring:
deIYm.jpg

Wow, where on the Yadkin did you catch these fish?

Looking to take my kids camping later this month. Considering Stone Mountain park. I want to go somewhere with good fishing for kids (novice fishermen). Any suggestions are appreciated.

No, you are spot on. How do your bass look? With that much forage they should be fat and sassy. You are correct in that you need to cull some out. I would buy some bass fry to help with the predation level. Also, your local game warden can point you in the right direction on how to find somebody to help manage your pond. We had the local Farm Bureau folks come out to help with ours on our hunting lease in Texas. Do not know who does it back home in NC

Fairly certain that the Farm Bureau does it in NC as well.

Back