• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

looking for place to take the grandkids; is Salem Lake stocked this year?

Went out 3 weeks ago on the Yadkin. Got skunked. Weather was nice, but I think the water was still too cold. Hopefully going next weekend.

My cousin caught a redeye last week. This cold snap has really caused the white bass to run later than usual. Hopefully it'll warm up so they can make their run in another week or two.

Its coming. Another week or two and fishing is BACK baby. Excited

Water is way too cold for inshore/ nearshore. Last year at this time, I was catching Spanish Mackeral.

Caught a couple nice pre-spawn bass in a normally weed-choked pond near my house in NOVA. I think these fish have never seen an artifical lure in their lives. Temp was 45 and they were nailing it.

Anyone been fishing in the Wrightsville Beach/Cape Fear area lately? I've heard it's still a little slow because of the colder temps but some trout and reds have been caught recently.

I'm gonna be down in Myrtle next week. Looks like our house backs up right to a waterway / canal. Might throw a couple lines in. Anybody got any leads down there?

Went out 3 weeks ago on the Yadkin. Got skunked. Weather was nice, but I think the water was still too cold. Hopefully going next weekend.

My grandfather caught a few catfish this afternoon that were around a pound each. Good eating size. He was using shrimp.

Salem Lake should have nice fish...no fishing for 2 years because of the Dam project, and has been re-stocked.

Pit fishers, I need a little help. I'm spending a couple of nights at a house between Belhaven and Bath on a creek that feeds into the Pamlico River. I currently have no fishing equipment, but have some experience from a couple of decades ago. I'll mainly be fishing off the dock next weekend (I'm guessing trout and puppy drum), but want to buy something that might have some usefulness for surf fishing at Isle of Palms, which is mainly young sharks. So I'm thinking a fairly mid-sized spinning combo might do the trick. Am I wrong?

I've been out a few times recently. We've caught a bunch of small-mid sized catfish, and a 10lb carp on the Yadkin.

Anyone here have a boat? I have a 12' semi-v jon boat, which I recently upgraded to a 15hp Evinrude from my 3.3hp Mercury. I got the motor for next to nothing from this guy's estate on Craigslist. It had been sitting for about 5 years, so I put new fuel and line, changed the lower unit oil, replaced the water pump, and rebuilt the carb. It runs great and actually gets my boat on plane. I just painted the boat olive drab using about a dozen rattle cans, too.

I've been thinking about trying to get into some ducks this year. Anyone have any experience with ducks around the Triad? It seems that High Rock and the Yadkin are my best bets.

Pit fishers, I need a little help. I'm spending a couple of nights at a house between Belhaven and Bath on a creek that feeds into the Pamlico River. I currently have no fishing equipment, but have some experience from a couple of decades ago. I'll mainly be fishing off the dock next weekend (I'm guessing trout and puppy drum), but want to buy something that might have some usefulness for surf fishing at Isle of Palms, which is mainly young sharks. So I'm thinking a fairly mid-sized spinning combo might do the trick. Am I wrong?

Yep spinning combo will do the trick. Shimano rod and reel combo is tough to beat but if you want cheaper I'd go Quantum or Shakespeare. Any rod over 6ft will do the trick; most will say 8ft+ but I prefer light tackle in general. Highly recommend getting the rigs with the two J-hooks already knotted on (get the line ones, don't get the wire ones...the trout/drum won't bite the wire ones as frequently, and the small sharks shouldn't be able to bite through the line).

From late November last year...we figured this hoss weighed in between 7 and 8 lbs. :

big-brown-113012.jpeg

brown_trout-ed.jpg

So I got a couple of reasonably priced spinning combos at Bass Pro. Got myself a Penn with a 7' rod for about $70. Also picked up a 6.5' cheap Shakespeare for the kids to use.

Caught a puppy drum on the first cast from the dock at the house on the river near Bath. Used some of those artificial blood worms.

Caught a couple of 1' sharks surf fishing at IOP using shrimp.

BTW, I'm going to a conference later this month at the Holiday Inn Resort at Wrightsville Beach. Any good surf fishing there at the hotel or at either of the inlets?

So I got a couple of reasonably priced spinning combos at Bass Pro. Got myself a Penn with a 7' rod for about $70. Also picked up a 6.5' cheap Shakespeare for the kids to use.

Caught a puppy drum on the first cast from the dock at the house on the river near Bath. Used some of those artificial blood worms.

Caught a couple of 1' sharks surf fishing at IOP using shrimp.

BTW, I'm going to a conference later this month at the Holiday Inn Resort at Wrightsville Beach. Any good surf fishing there at the hotel or at either of the inlets?

Glad you had some action. The first time I ever surf fished in NC I used strips of squid and I caught at least six of those 1' sand sharks. Those things love squid. They are fun to catch too...not so fun to take off the hook...

I've never been to Wrightsville but I'm sure they have good surf fishing. From what I've been reading the key to catch a ton of fish is to use a River Rig (sold at local tackle shops only; I tried Bass Pro and Gander Mtn in CLT area but they don't have 'em). It sounds like the reason these things work so well is they are undetectable to the finicky NC surf fish, even more undetectable than the double rigs w/ line. Most new surf fisherman use those double rigs w/ wire and those things suck.

For surf fishing look for the sloughs and cuts. These are a lot easier to find at low tide.

I'll be surf fishing this weekend; hopefully the water is less choppy and hopefully I don't get sand blasted. I'm pumped to try out the river rig, as well as a sabiki rig w/ Fishbites.

so i'm looking at getting a fishing trip together before the rehearsal for my wedding in obx with some buds and family. obvi looking for a half day since ill need to be at the venue by 3. itll probs be like 6-10 of us. do people think we'll be able to find a half-day offshore trip or is it too far out? what would an inshore trip look like in late september (mackeral, bass?)? anybody got any recs on charters or funny stories when they did something similar?

Back