• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

This is for next September, right? You might as well go ahead and try to book it if you know who you want to book with. The worst they can do is tell you to call back in a few months.

Just a caveat, you may have trouble finding a boat that will take more than 6 out. The most I've been able to find on a single boat for sportfishing is 8, and that took some digging. If you want to just do bottom fishing on a big head boat it shouldn't be a problem though.

Heading to the OBX Friday (Buxton). Drum and bluefish on the menu and the beach access opened up just in time.

I need to get in some more after-work bass fishing before fall back kicks in next weekend. I'm headed to Kiawah this weekend and I'll be targeting bass in the ponds and whiting in the surf. It sounds like they're catching some big sharks at the inlets so I might bike out there but in reality I'll be on the beach fishing for whiting with a beer in my hand.

Tell me how my bass tastes

7yquba2e.jpg

I just watched this documentary "Not Yet Begun to Fight" on PBS about Project Healing Waters which takes wounded veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan fly fishing. I know a lot of us find peace, accomplishment, and satisfaction from fishing. I know it is both fun and therapeutic for these veterans. Watch it if you get a chance. Take a look at the trailer.

Been fishing for white bass the last week on the river and have been skunked. Not sure why they arent running yet. The water and air temps are perfect, and the recent rains have the water levels up.

How much have you fished in the past? For a true beginner, for price and ease of use, you can't beat a Zebco 33.

Not much. Always enjoyed it, but grew up mostly in cities, dad doesn't fish, etc. Tired of borrowing buddies' fishing poles, and I'd like to get into it more. Also I'm driving up to Yellowstone early this summer, and I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't do some fishing while I'm up there.

You can't beat the 33. I just bought one today for my wife, who's never never fished before. She had a blast, and picked it up quickly. My favorite is a bait casting reel, but I wouldn't advise that for a novice.

My favorite is a bait casting reel, but I wouldn't advise that for a novice.

Using a bait casting reel is super frustrating until you get the hang of it. Then you'll never go back.

Not much. Always enjoyed it, but grew up mostly in cities, dad doesn't fish, etc. Tired of borrowing buddies' fishing poles, and I'd like to get into it more. Also I'm driving up to Yellowstone early this summer, and I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't do some fishing while I'm up there.

Going to Yellowstone? That is fly fishing mecca if you would consider a fly rod. Don't know where you are located, but if you want to learn everything you need to know about getting started in fly fishing in a weekend, with free classes for beginners, check out the Federation of Fly Fisher's Southeastern Festival http://southeastfff.org/festival-2014-main/ May 16-17 in Cullowhee, NC.
Or, if you are in or around Charlotte, there will be free beginner casting lessons during Tuck Fest at the US National Whitewater Center. http://tuckfest.org If you need resources in some other part of the country, I could also point you in the right direction in most major metro areas.

Going to Yellowstone? That is fly fishing mecca if you would consider a fly rod. Don't know where you are located, but if you want to learn everything you need to know about getting started in fly fishing in a weekend, with free classes for beginners, check out the Federation of Fly Fisher's Southeastern Festival http://southeastfff.org/festival-2014-main/ May 16-17 in Cullowhee, NC.
Or, if you are in or around Charlotte, there will be free beginner casting lessons during Tuck Fest at the US National Whitewater Center. http://tuckfest.org If you need resources in some other part of the country, I could also point you in the right direction in most major metro areas.

Yeah, I'd love to get into fly fishing and realize Yellowstone is the place to do it. There's actually a great resource for beginners here in SF, the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club, which does free lessons once a month. I've been to a couple of them. My issue with fly fishing is that none of my buddies do it and the amount of gear you need to do a decent job is a little beyond my means right now. I could definitely see myself getting into it down the road, though.

My friends took care of my fishing gear issue last night by gifting me a rod, reel and tackle box for my birthday. Ended up with a similar setup as my buddy, with a Shimano Sedona spinning reel.

bdz, AMC with some great advice there. And I might recommend if you are going to (learn to) fly-fish, begin mastering the fine art of nymph fishing from the outset. It's great fun to watch a trout rise to a dry fly, but your catch rate and fish size will most likely improve fishing subsurface. Good luck, and if you find yourself in western North Carolina, I'll be glad to take you trout fishin'.

Yes, you would be. A lot of people would concur with the Sheik on the entry level Zebco (it was my first set as well), but it wasn't too long before I found that it backlashed more frequently than your standard $25 open faced spincast rod and reel set.

Yellowstone is the absolute best. There are very, very few places on Earth I'd rather spend a week. Fished for a solid week after the bar exam. There's an Orvis Disneyworld in Jackson and plenty of good places to fish. That said, your $400.00 fly rod with a perfectly matched hatch fly hand-tied by batchelor farmers will catch the same number of fish as a spinner or a standard hook covered in powerbait. I subscribe to the rule that you should take as many poles as possible (no, this isn't a BBD joke, tagger), but not less than two. Nothing worse than sitting dry on the bank untangling a line when your buddies are in the water. Two thirty dollar open faced spin casts would be the minimum I'd recommend.

Yeah, I'd love to get into fly fishing and realize Yellowstone is the place to do it. There's actually a great resource for beginners here in SF, the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club, which does free lessons once a month. I've been to a couple of them. My issue with fly fishing is that none of my buddies do it and the amount of gear you need to do a decent job is a little beyond my means right now. I could definitely see myself getting into it down the road, though.

My friends took care of my fishing gear issue last night by gifting me a rod, reel and tackle box for my birthday. Ended up with a similar setup as my buddy, with a Shimano Sedona spinning reel.

Golden Gate club is world famous for casting, great resource.

Happy birthday and those are good friends.

I understand the hesitation on fly gear and cost, but if you ever decide to try it you can actually get what you need for $100, maybe a bit more, plus a few flies. Fiberglass rods have lost their place as the go to rod for many, but there is a niche of fiberglass fans still out there (myself being one). If you would consider a low-cost fiberglass rod, consider the Eagle Claw http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2010/06/eagle-claw-featherlight-series.html Or, there are some entry level combos from several manufacturers. Here is a link with another perspective on what a new fly fisherman might consider but at a higher price point - http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/podcasts/2014/03/17/used-fly-rods-v-new/

Enjoy the trip and you new gear.

Back