• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Those are size 16. I think the yarn might be a bit bulky as a replacement for dubbing on anything 18 or smaller, but I haven't used yarn in anything but that pattern yet.

I found the yarn at a store here and have tied several of these now. I'm still kind of new to tying so working on these has helped me develop some skills and figure some things out. I'll probably give these a try this weekend.

I found the yarn at a store here and have tied several of these now. I'm still kind of new to tying so working on these has helped me develop some skills and figure some things out. I'll probably give these a try this weekend.

Nice. Post back with results - I haven’t had much luck with that fly yet, but I’ve only fished it a couple of times.

Never made it out to try those flies as it's just been too cold here. Streams are low and now they are freezing up. I got some gift card for Christmas and bought myself the Fishpond Nomad Native net. It's a good size for fly fishing. I thought about getting one of the bigger ones with a longer handle but this one attaches to my vest easily and isn't too big or heavy (it's actually very light). I love the feel of the carbon fiber.

The week of 70+ degree temps started the white bass run on the Yadkin River early a few weeks back. Folks were catching them left and right, and then the weather turned bitterly cold again. Hopefully its not stunted the run, which is typically starting in the next couple weeks lasting until the middle of April.

I've been tying some flies since I now have a dedicated area in my basement. This is a sulfur soft hackle tied on a size 14 nymph hook.

2dgnc08.jpg

Also, I caught two at once on Saturday in the Roanoke River near Salem, VA. One was on the sulfur soft hackle, the other was on a chamois worm on a dropper rig.

29dgt40.jpg

Last edited:
A month with no posts!? Hope everybody has been getting bent lately. Had an excellent day on Friday hanging with some Colorado natives. Here’s one of the last fish of the day:

Those spots

ffd55df5a9d9af0ccc60d2e23b7f478c.jpg

We had a good morning hitting a massive blue and a decent size king. Caught the blue 10 seconds after getting the first bait in near oceancrest pier then the king about 2 miles off the coast.

I'll be in Montana and Wyoming from September 1st through the 12th. I'm flying into Bozeman and will drive up to Glacier for a couple of days, then down to Yellowstone for three days, then two days in Grand Teton, and some travel days in between. Does anyone have recommendations for streams around maybe Missoula or Gardiner that provide good fishing but don't get the pressure of some of the more well known streams. I plan to stop in some fly shops in Missoula to get some recommendations but thought someone here might have some knowledge.

I am looking to purchase chest, non-insulated breathable, stocking-foot waders. Anyone have any recs on waders and boots? Also have wide feet for the boot rec...

I am looking to purchase chest, non-insulated breathable, stocking-foot waders. Anyone have any recs on waders and boots? Also have wide feet for the boot rec...

I’m partial to Simms waders; I’ve been happy with the Freestone waders. If you want to go up in price, the G3 has been the gold standard for a long time.

Thought I had posted this already, but his big buck was the best of a bunch of really nice public water fish I put in the net a couple weeks ago:
4362c30a66fb78ae6510d020e1752ac7.jpg

Caught a pretty nice pumpkinseed yesterday at Lake Norman. Just messing around—wrong time of day, just around a dock.

Woot, still fun.

I’m partial to Simms waders; I’ve been happy with the Freestone waders. If you want to go up in price, the G3 has been the gold standard for a long time.

I have decided to go G5...on sale so stoked...now have to find some wide boots

Back