• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

drew

Reaction score
It's time.

I went on Monday trolling for the first Spanish Mackerel bite near Sheepshead Rock off of Kure beach. Water temps were aroud 65 and they don't really bite well until it hits 68. Going tomorrow to hit up Yaupon Reef as the weather will be as perfect as you could ask for. If successful, pics will go here. Let's pack this thread full of win this year.

Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coworker said they were tearing up blues last weekend about a mile offshore. Catching em faster than they could reel in. I want to say he was down at Atlantic but I'm not positive. Can't wait to get down there myself.

The rockfish (striped bass) are in the Roanoke River up by Weldon. We caught our limit of keepers last Tuesday, beautiful fish, ready to party (spawn) before they head back to the ocean. Story on this weeks Austin Outdoor's on WXII.

Caught this two weekends ago. Lost his partner about 10 minutes before this, stupid circle hooks. Too windy this weekend, but did manage to pick up two seatrout last night off the dock.
Link to Flickr page because it won't let me insert a photo from there. http://flic.kr/p/buyyJb

Last edited:
I'm in Florida just a little north of West Palm Beach on the east coast. I fish out of the St. Lucie Inlet. The dolphin was in 200' on a weedline. We were using live bait. They are starting to come in a little thicker now. Everything has been about a month early this year (cobia appeared early, spanish mackerel were early, sailfish were early). This winter was unusually warm, so we think it has to do with that.

Caught this two weekends ago. Lost his partner about 10 minutes before this, stupid circle hooks. Too windy this weekend, but did manage to pick up two seatrout last night off the dock.
Link to Flickr page because it won't let me insert a photo from there. http://flic.kr/p/buyyJb

Awesome picture! I love it when you pull them out of the box and they go berserk!! Did you end his day w/ a billy club?

Its good to hear that the warmer waters down your ways are triggering an early bite. Hoping that's the case off the SC coast next month and June when we start to push out for blue water.

I actually ended up on the deck wrestling him. Fought for an hour in the water and was still whipping me! No billy clubbing, boat owner likes his boat too much to allow a missed swing!

I would imagine the warm water will continue on up. The Gulf Stream has been really strong the last few weeks down here, so I would guess that is bringing the warm water.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334472363.207194.jpg

Weakfish, or Gray Trout. Also caught a shitload of black sea bass, but they are out of season.

Does anyone here do any freshwater fishing? I haven't done it much, but being in Raleigh and a first year attorney, getting to the coast is tough. Anyone have any advice on shore fishing and places to go in Raleigh?

Jordan Lake is a great place to crappie fish. I've fished for largemouth bass there as well, but the crappie fishing is so much better. You'd almost have to find someone with a boat though.

Does anyone here do any freshwater fishing? I haven't done it much, but being in Raleigh and a first year attorney, getting to the coast is tough. Anyone have any advice on shore fishing and places to go in Raleigh?

The Roanoke River at Weldon is famous around the country for the striper (rock fish) run going on now. The shad run is also excellent. However, tough to fish without a boat.

Check in with http://triangleflyfishers.org/index.shtml for info on area fly fishing.

Jordan Lake is a great place to crappie fish. I've fished for largemouth bass there as well, but the crappie fishing is so much better. You'd almost have to find someone with a boat though.

Yeah that's what I am worried about. Def don't have the money to blow on a boat right now.

I'm exploring ponds in Charlotte and my favorite so far is Reedy Creek Park. Park Road Park is OK (caught a small bass) but it's gross (tons of algae), Freedom Park stinks unless you're going for tiny catfish, and I haven't tried Hornets Nest Park but it looks meh.

I have heard that falls lake is good for shore fishing, the problem is if you are in a crappy spot it is hard to move. Might just have to hold off and get a lot more skeet in.

Gonna try to catch some catfish on the Yadkin this weekend.

Gonna try to catch some catfish on the Yadkin this weekend.

Where abouts? My cousin hooked a big cat a few weeks ago, but fouled his line on a log and lost it. Most of what he's been catching has been <2 lbs. I finally got the trees cut behind my house, but I'm still a few years away from making it fish-able.

I've been hitting our backyard pond lately with my son. We slay bluegill on bread but struggle finding the right lure/bait to hit bass. We basically luck into them. Can anyone here suggest a lure or bait that pond bass will strike? Images appreciated as the lure wall at Walmart or Dicks is freaking insane.

Noob fisherman here but I can tie a knot and own a pair of 33s that are f-up proof.

I've been hitting our backyard pond lately with my son. We slay bluegill on bread but struggle finding the right lure/bait to hit bass. We basically luck into them. Can anyone here suggest a lure or bait that pond bass will strike? Images appreciated as the lure wall at Walmart or Dicks is freaking insane.

Noob fisherman here but I can tie a knot and own a pair of 33s that are f-up proof.

Worm on a texas rig is always good. I love spinnerbaits because they are easy to retrieve...Stike King burner and Terminator are top-of-the-line. If you have frogs in your pond then a topwater frog would be great too.

Back