• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Va Tech: Greenburg fired, Clemson asst James Johnson hired

Also being mentioned for the VT job are Jay Wright, Jeff Capel, Phil Martelli(St. Joseph's) and former NBA coach Eddie Jordan.

Saw this tweet and laughed:

Scott Newman ‏ @CoachNewman

Somebody had to take a chance on Shaka, Stevens, etc... Very worried that Jim Weaver is about to hire the second coming of Jeff [Redacted]
I feel like every coaching hire in the ACC moving forward will be met with "Could be worse...at least it's not Jeff [Redacted]."

crickets on the coaching search, eh? Whoever said Dino Gaudio might be a soothesayer. I just think Weaver is going to be perceived as one foot out the door and will have a hard time feeling the position as a result. Unless you just offer the house. I, for one, would love to see Gaudio at Tech for a number of reasons.

Do tell... Seriously, please tell it.

Last edited:
Do tell...

Dino seems content with the ESPN gig. Hard to fault him for that...a lot easier than the coaching gig. Nonetheless, should fate bring him to another ACC school, I have no doubt he would beat us like a drum....hard & with regularity.

I think it will be Lutz, and it will end up being a good hire. He got a lot of positive press this year at State for the job he did on the bench, and deservedly so.

I think it will be Lutz, and it will end up being a good hire. He got a lot of positive press this year at State for the job he did on the bench, and deservedly so.

It does appear that Lutz is the front runner at this point and wouldn't be a bad hire. I think Jeff Capel has a little more upside and he has experience recruiting the state of Virginia from his time at VCU. If Lutz does go to VT then he would probably take along Moxley as well, leaving 2 spots open on State's bench. I think Levi Watkins would be one of the guys and Dino seems to popular choice as other assistant. No idea if Dino would take assistant job, but State fans seem to think he's approached Gottfried about getting back.

It does appear that Lutz is the front runner at this point and wouldn't be a bad hire. I think Jeff Capel has a little more upside and he has experience recruiting the state of Virginia from his time at VCU. If Lutz does go to VT then he would probably take along Moxley as well, leaving 2 spots open on State's bench. I think Levi Watkins would be one of the guys and Dino seems to popular choice as other assistant. No idea if Dino would take assistant job, but State fans seem to think he's approached Gottfried about getting back.

I wonder the extent to which this is already in motion. watkins was on his way to Canisius earlier this week, but rumor has it that he was reconsidering. Lutz leaving would give Levi good reason to stay.

VT fans are convinced they're gonna hire Jay Wright. TSL almost makes NC State fans seem sane and reasonable.

Jay Wright is not going to go to Va Tech, but I said on here two months ago he will leave the Big East just a matter of when. All Big East coaches with years in front of them are going to leave. Nobody wants to fly to fucking Texas for a conference game. Nobody. And who knows who'll be next.

But I can't see the dude moving to Blacksberg. Maryland, Miami, Duke, NC State, BC, possibly, not but southern rural. No way. And not Atlanta. Anybody who lives in Philly can't do Atlanta. Malls and strip malls? No thank you.

Lutz and Capel would be fairly solid hires. And could do what Greenberg did - get them in the dance every 4-5 years. Just keeping VT competitive in basketball is really all you can ask. They have the same ceiling Clemson has.

I can finally agree with Jaybone about 1 thing. Wright ain't going there.

[video]http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Break/dp/B001MQT2VO[/video]

how about this guy?

Lutz and Capel would be fairly solid hires. And could do what Greenberg did - get them in the dance every 4-5 years. Just keeping VT competitive in basketball is really all you can ask. They have the same ceiling Clemson has.

Clemson's ceiling is higher than VTs. VT is arguably the worst job in the ACC. They've made the NCAAs exactly twice in the last 26 years. I can't think of a single positive about that job except that they're in the ACC.

Clemson and VT have the same ceiling. If VT had been in the ACC the last 26 years, they'd probably would have made as many tourneys as Clemson. If VT got a Rick Barnes in this hire, they could get to where Clemson was in the mid-90s as well.

Wow, the ACC is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel with its head basketball coaches.

VT is hiring this guy....

james+johnson+on+indiana.jpg

or an ex asst coach by the same name...

http://www2.wspa.com/sports/2012/ap...ssistant-johnson-be-hired-va-tech-ar-3701854/

Wow. Another example of the new college basketball coaching landscape. On the surface, it's similar to if we fired Bz and hired Battle. In terms of age and experience, more like if we hired Rusty.

There have been dozens of good low major and D II head coaches shaking their heads.

Wow. Another example of the new college basketball coaching landscape. On the surface, it's similar to if we fired Bz and hired Battle. In terms of age and experience, more like if we hired Rusty.

There have been dozens of good low major and D II head coaches shaking their heads.

And the problem is?

Lol at anyone who thought VT would actually make a hire of someone the rest of the planet had ever heard of

Back