• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Not sure what you are comparing it to to say Chimay sucks. Chimay is a AT LEAST a decent beer - it is an entry level belgium/trappist ale. There is nothing wrong with it.

Now, if your point is that there are (much) better belgium or trappist style ales, than, yes, by comparison, Chimay isn't as good. But it doesn't suck - would rather drink a Chimay and pay $8 a bottle than have to drink Bud heavy or Miller Lite.
It IS the bud light of belgians. Or rather the yuengling I suppose. That's the point.

Had a 6'er of Highland's Clawhammer Oktoberfest on Saturday....it was quite tasty!! Not as malty as a traditional Oktoberfest. Paired very well with hot chili.

Picked up growlers of:

Dave's Brewfarm Matacabras
New Holland Dragon's Milk

and the epic

North Coast Grand Cru

Ok folks. Learn me on the best Christmas beer. I'm a big fan of cinnamon and other spices so preferably with a strong spice flavor.

Pretty strong clove taste in the Schafly Christmas Ale, and I'd also recommend the Great Lakes Christmas in a heartbeat.

Any one tried the Mad Elf by Troegs or the Rude Elf by Feglsys Brewwerks? I just picked both of these up can't wait To try

Mad Elf is sublime. Troegs just moved to Hershey ftmfw!

Working on a Troegs pale ale pony keg tonight.

this weekend's growlers:

Greenflash_imperial.jpg

esq-08-southern-tier-iniquity-09152011-lg-38606483.jpg

Mad Elf A++++++.

Also bought 12 pack of Sourhern Tier Pumpking todrink through winter - definitely the best pumpkin beer out there.

Mad Elf A++++++.

Also bought 12 pack of Sourhern Tier Pumpking todrink through winter - definitely the best pumpkin beer out there.

If you like mad elf you will love rude elf from fegley breworks out of my home town. Much much better even though they are both WAY too spiced and sweet.

Last edited:
headed to winston for the big game this weekend and want to check out foothills if possible (had a quick pint there once upon a time; didn't have a chance to do multiple tastings)...a couple quick questions for those in the know:

- what are their best beers to be had?
- do they fill growlers for take-out? (might need one prior to watching the hoops exhibition friday nite)

thanks in advance....

Winter ales are not supposed to be super spicy, they are really strong dark ales. Us Americans have taken to making them all "woohoo! tastes like christmas!!" and I think a lot of breweries now go overboard.

Back