• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

headed to winston for the big game this weekend and want to check out foothills if possible (had a quick pint there once upon a time; didn't have a chance to do multiple tastings)...a couple quick questions for those in the know:

- what are their best beers to be had?
- do they fill growlers for take-out? (might need one prior to watching the hoops exhibition friday nite)

thanks in advance....

People's porter

headed to winston for the big game this weekend and want to check out foothills if possible (had a quick pint there once upon a time; didn't have a chance to do multiple tastings)...a couple quick questions for those in the know:

- do they fill growlers for take-out? (might need one prior to watching the hoops exhibition friday nite)

thanks in advance....

People's porter

My husband enjoys the People's Porter. I'm a fan of the Pilot Mountain Pale Ale. If you like IPAs, the Hoppyum IPA is very good too.

Oh man how did you get a 12 pack??

It was 12 22 ounce bottles. Stupid Pennsylvania laws. But, they are normally like $9 a bottle at places like Wegmans, I got all 12 for $75 at my local beer through - totally worth it.

thanks in advance....

they have a bourbon barrel aged peoples porter that is very tasty and comes in a pint glass which is crazy for that style of beer

It was 12 22 ounce bottles. Stupid Pennsylvania laws. But, they are normally like $9 a bottle at places like Wegmans, I got all 12 for $75 at my local beer through - totally worth it.

If you have time you should come to shangy's in emmaus. i worked there for a while and frankly you cannot beat their price or selection. they have the wholesale license on so many of the beers that they carry that they are able to sell at the cheapest price possible (also because of the volume that he does). For example, they wholesale all the brewworks stuff. for a while, literally every single case of hopsolutely they made came to shangy's warehouse at which point shangy's would deliver it. long story short, save a shit ton of money and make a massive beer run to shangy's. it is worth the time and effort in the long run if you appreciate good beer. also, a lot of people would do beer clubs (something you could do with your colleagues at work) where the group would buy a series of cases and then mix and match within the group (this is a nice way of getting around pa's stupid laws). this allows you to try a six pack at a cheaper price than say wegmans or a bottle shop while giving you several six packs to try.

I miss Wegmans so bad

Completely off topic, but I thought Publix was by far and away my favorite grocery store chain before Wegmans. Wegmans blows it away, hands down. It's like a destination grocery store - the food is good, the beer selection is good, its clean, its huge - I end up eating dinner there 5 times a month cause it is easy and cheap. And did I mention you can buy beer there in Pennsylvania? Its like a god send.

Completely off topic, but I thought Publix was by far and away my favorite grocery store chain before Wegmans. Wegmans blows it away, hands down. It's like a destination grocery store - the food is good, the beer selection is good, its clean, its huge - I end up eating dinner there 5 times a month cause it is easy and cheap. And did I mention you can buy beer there in Pennsylvania? Its like a god send.

My ex gf and I used to get into huge Publix v. Wegman's debates. Then I went to Wegman's. It's a different class of store.

Back to the topic: I'm sipping on some Dundee Octoberfest. Not bad. Not great.

Going to Boston this weekend. What New England beers should I look out for?

I did the tour at Harpoon and highly recommend it if you have time....only $5 and unlimited tastes for the last 30 minutes. Light years better than Sam Adams from what I've heard from people who have done both.

Anyways Allagash if you catch it on tap somewhere and some of the limited distribution Harpoon offerings

they have a bourbon barrel aged peoples porter that is very tasty and comes in a pint glass which is crazy for that style of beer

good to know, i'll be on the lookout...thanks. i homebrewed a bourbon barrell porter once upon a time by tossing in a pint of maker's and a couple ounces of smoked oak chips into the secondary fermenter....

is their "sexual chocolate" on tap or is it a seasonal offering (and is it in season!)?

do you know if they fill up growlers for take-out as well?

Got a 6 of Shiner cheer as my local store had not gotten in Anchor Christmas. Not really a fan. Its ok but nothing special.

good to know, i'll be on the lookout...thanks. i homebrewed a bourbon barrell porter once upon a time by tossing in a pint of maker's and a couple ounces of smoked oak chips into the secondary fermenter....

is their "sexual chocolate" on tap or is it a seasonal offering (and is it in season!)?

do you know if they fill up growlers for take-out as well?

Sexual Chocolate is a seasonal that usually arrives around Valentine's Day.

Yes, they do growlers: $5 for growler, $9 for fill.

NICE...that's a decent price to boot. thanks for the info!

Id recommend the Seeing Double IPA at Foothills. Strong, but so tasty.

Going to Boston this weekend. What New England beers should I look out for?

allagash black (ME)
new england brewing co. gandhi-bot double ipa (in a can!) (CT)
mayflower ipa (MA)
clown shoes hoppy feet black ipa (MA)
smuttynose big A ipa (NH)
anything from hill farmstead (will be hard to find; on tap) (VT)

Last year, because of the beers popularity, they actually ran out of Sexual Chocolate before Valentines Day. BUT, they did save one keg for the special night. Thankfully.

Back