• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Just found out that a 2nd brewery and tap room is opening up shortly just about 6 blocks from my house. I'll now be able to walk to both NODA Brewing Company and Birdsong Brewery, and since they are next door to each other, I can tap room hop. Excellent, excellent news.

Anyone checked out bottle revolution in Raleigh yet?

Yes. We love it. So many NC beers available as well as from other craft breweries from around the country that you can't get at Total Wine. Wolf1297 will be making another stop there tonight to get good beers for Saturday tailgate.

DeacPeach, I love articles like that. Just like the top 10 movie lists that go out, you never really agree with all of them or their style descriptions etc, but what a great way to learn about beers you haven't had and start discussion.

As far as a winter beer is concerned, I know they weren't going after stouts here, but the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is the perfect beer if you are stuck inside during a snowstorm. Little high in alcohol for a drinking session, but just great.

Yes. We love it. So many NC beers available as well as from other craft breweries from around the country that you can't get at Total Wine. Wolf1297 will be making another stop there tonight to get good beers for Saturday tailgate.

I work right beside there. You know the building that is up the hill from the shopping center it is in? That's where I work.

Got a 6 pack of Bell's Winter White Ale last night - haven't had a chance to drink one yet. Anybody tried it?

I work right beside there. You know the building that is up the hill from the shopping center it is in? That's where I work.

Cool! I accompanied Wolf1297 to Bottle Revolution last night & got to do a tasting of 4 different Heavy Seas beers. Very tasty. We picked up supplies for Saturday and then hit Which Wich for dinner sammiches.

A little late since it is a fall beer, but I tried Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.

I picked up some Saranac Season's Best at the store the other day to give it a shot. We'll see.

Getting rid of the Big Boss Harvest Time before its too late and out of season...very good way to follow up dinner. Quite enjoyable outside while its in the 50s

Alright. I'm on my 2nd year of making very concerted effort to try pretty much every beer I can before settling into a specific taste/preference.

I am (and I know this is kind of juvenile) careful to not read anything about beers until I've had them & judged them for myself. In the past two years, I have been fortunate to live very close to a couple of really good beer stores & over that period I've developed a ritual of asking whoever was in the store (both employees & regular customers) what their favorite beer is. More often than not; I'll have to ask a follow up of 'you get to have one last beer for the rest of your life... what is it?' to get a specific beer... but its almost always something unique & something that the store we're in has in stock (makes sense). (ETA: and yes... this is how I found Chimay; which is the only other beer I've mentioned on this thread.... Don't you judge me! I still think the Cinq Cents & the Grande Reserve are good, but likely quite overpriced, beers).

The reason of this is to narrow down my 'trials' to beers that somebody out there in the world considers the best. At this point; I feel like I've made the rounds of most 'favorites' of anybody buying beer in this neck of the woods...

The point of this post is to recommend this process to anyone trying to learn about beers... and to definitely state that if I had to have one last beer, it would (at this point, of course) be Victory's Golden Monkey which I've stumbled onto in the past few weeks. Thanks to the search function... It looks like its been positively received by those who have tried it on here.

Given the quality and the ~9-9.5% alcohol content; the 750 ML bottle for $5.99 is really difficult to beat. Could easily become my first 'go-to' beer at the ripe old age of 23.

Last edited:
Victory's a very solid brewery out of the Philly area but semi-surprised their distribution makes it down there. Of course I don't pay attention to that type of stuff unless it concerns me. Their pilsner is a good demonstration that the style doesn't have to be a mass-produced piece of crap. I brought down some to the Grassy Knoll in their sampler case (4 each of Prima Pils, Golden Monkey and HopDevil Ale) but I think everyone was timid to drink them.

Don't know if I'd say it would be that high on my list but to each his own.

Victory's a very solid brewery out of the Philly area but semi-surprised their distribution makes it down there. Of course I don't pay attention to that type of stuff unless it concerns me. Their pilsner is a good demonstration that the style doesn't have to be a mass-produced piece of crap. I brought down some to the Grassy Knoll in their sampler case (4 each of Prima Pils, Golden Monkey and HopDevil Ale) but I think everyone was timid to drink them.

Don't know if I'd say it would be that high on my list but to each his own.

Certainly a personal taste & I explained the rationale behind naming an individual favorite; but I'm pretty embarrassed that I would have recommended someone spend 100% more on a 750 ML of Chimay over Golden Monkey 6 months ago.

6 months from now... I might be saying the same thing about another new 'fling'; and come to think of it... I've never had a Pabst Blue Ribbon. For all I know, that stuff is the nectar of the Gods.

FWIW, I'm in Richmond so I'm not as far from PA as most posters here are in terms of the distribution routes... Also of note; my house is a couple of hundred yards from a chain grocery store... I mentioned Victory in passing to the manager who oversees the beer shelves & within a week we had three different varieties in ample supply.

The exact same thing happened in Blacksburg when I became a fan of a beer from Oregon (of all places) & mentioned it there. I think this is a fairly easy thing to accomplish if you're disappointed in your local store's stock as most purchasers are excited/intrigued to find a new product.

Got a 6 pack of Bell's Winter White Ale last night - haven't had a chance to drink one yet. Anybody tried it?

Haven't tried it yet, but it just came on tap today at my watering hole.

Haven't tried it yet, but it just came on tap today at my watering hole.

One of the owner's favorites at Corks & Kegs in Richmond... I enjoyed it but I probably have a couple from the 6-pack left over which probably speaks to my overall rating of it.

Its worth a night of drinking & I don't think you'll think it was a waste of money.

One of the beers I'd say is a total personal preference call.

FWIW, I'm in Richmond so I'm not as far from PA as most posters here are in terms of the distribution routes... Also of note; my house is a couple of hundred yards from a chain grocery store... I mentioned Victory in passing to the manager who oversees the beer shelves & within a week we had three different varieties in ample supply.

Fair enough. FWIW I did look on their website after I made that post and they have distributors scattered around in most states and there is one in NC (and SC) so while it may be hard to find in NC, it does exist.

Oh and while my favorite beer is still Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, I couldn't drink that regularly due to both cost, alcohol content and taste. I'm gonna have to think about this one a little bit more but the first one that really pops into my head is kinda boring due to its versatility but Heavy Seas Gold Ale.

Last edited:
Fair enough. FWIW I did look on their website after I made that post and they have distributors scattered around in most states and there is one in NC (and SC) so while it may be hard to find in NC, it does exist.

Oh and while my favorite beer is still Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, I couldn't drink that regularly due to both cost, alcohol content and taste. I'm gonna have to think about this one a little bit more but the first one that really pops into my head is kinda boring due to its versatility but Heavy Seas Gold Ale.

My local restaurant when I lived in Florida has had Golden Monkey on draft for a few years.

Definitely a solid beer - one of the first american style triples I had ever had - now they are becoming the fad.

The best Victory beer, though, is V12 - possibly my overall favorite beer.

The Bells Winter White Ale is pretty good - it is like a spice weiss beer. Easy to drink, not heavy, but not too wimpy that there is nothing to it. Another good Bells beer - they put out a lot of good stuff. Oberon used to be my beer of choice a few years back, haven't had it in awhile, might go pick up some of that this week.

Back