• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

V12 is absolutely incredible. You can age it, too.

Favorite beer ever? Man...

Maybe Troegs Perpetual IPA or Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

Had a couple good beers yesterday. Sweetwater's Dank Tank Double Black Double IPA was incredible. Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale was very good as well.

Cold Mountain Winter on tap is the real deal. That stuff rocks!

Total Wine in Winston-Salem should carry the Victory mix-pack that JDawg referenced earlier. It was one of my go-to's when I was employed in the dash.

Victory is solid.

Favorite semi-affordable beer for me is definitely Bell's Two Hearted though.

Total Wine in Winston-Salem should carry the Victory mix-pack that JDawg referenced earlier. It was one of my go-to's when I was employed in the dash.

I tend to always do the mix packs, but I personally don't like the Prima Pils - which sucks even more living in Pennsylvania because I either have to shell out $12 to get a 6 pack of Monkey at a bar or pony up $40 for a case of just one type of beer.

So, usually, I make a twice a month pilgrimage out to Downingtown to fill up my two growlers - normally a V12 and a HopDevil or Hop Wallop - or if I'm in a good mood, one of their seasonals like the barleywine or weizenbock.

Where would one find this? And is it still available?

You can get it at the Troeg's brewery, but it is very hard to find elsewhere. It comes around in special editions once a year.

Picked up some Natty Greene's Red Nose yesterday. Looking forward to giving that a try (but won't be driving afterward--6.8% ABV is pretty strong).

Had my first Saranac Season's Best last night. Pretty solid.

Young's Double Chocolate, or the Sam Smith Oatmeal Porter are two of my favorite beers, but since moving to Charlotte, the OMB Copper has become a solid go-to beer for me. Now if I can find that in 6-packs anywhere I'll be happy.

Just had my first bottle of Trader Joe's 2011 Vintage Ale. I liked it a lot, and I might try aging a few bottles to see how that turns out.

Last edited:
but since moving to Charlotte, the OMB Copper has become a solid go-to beer for me. Now if I can find that in 6-packs anywhere I'll be happy.

Forget the 6-pack...just drive over to the brewery and pick up a growler. Fresh beer = better. :thumbsup: I know OMB was planning to add a bottling line, but I haven't heard whether they have yet or not. I've heard it's a multi-million $$ investment in most cases.

Have you been over to the tap room at NoDa Brewing Company yet? They are in almost all of the craft beer restaurants now, so you can find them around town too. Lots of great beer in Charlotte now between OMB, 4 Friends, NoDa, and Birdsong that is due to open anytime.

Next year Hanson is releasing their MMMHop IPA...who's in?

I passed right over your post assuming Hanson was a small brewery I hadn't heard of...then I opened CNN.com this morning and ran across the article. SMH. :wtftard:

Had the 21st Amendment Allies Win the War last night. Very interesting - it is brewed with dates, which actually give it a similar taste to bourbon barrel aging, not sure why. Very good beer - but really freaking expensive - it was $7.50 for 1 can.

Forget the 6-pack...just drive over to the brewery and pick up a growler. Fresh beer = better. :thumbsup: I know OMB was planning to add a bottling line, but I haven't heard whether they have yet or not. I've heard it's a multi-million $$ investment in most cases.

Have you been over to the tap room at NoDa Brewing Company yet? They are in almost all of the craft beer restaurants now, so you can find them around town too. Lots of great beer in Charlotte now between OMB, 4 Friends, NoDa, and Birdsong that is due to open anytime.

Another place near Charlotte with an excellent list of beers on tap is the Brickhouse Tavern in Davidson--they also have an excellent menu. We go there for dinner before most Davidson basketball games (and will be there tomorrow evening before the game against Furman). I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of Christmas/Winter beers they are offering this year.

Another place near Charlotte with an excellent list of beers on tap is the Brickhouse Tavern in Davidson--they also have an excellent menu. We go there for dinner before most Davidson basketball games (and will be there tomorrow evening before the game against Furman). I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of Christmas/Winter beers they are offering this year.

Yeah, the last 3-4 years have seen a huge increase in the number of restaurants serving and specializing in craft/local beers around CLT (an offshoot of the earlier movements in Asheville and Raleigh). That said, if you can, it's still worth making a visit to the actually brewery tap rooms I mentioned above as well...freshest possible beer and you can talk to the brewmaster and owners to hear about their inspiration, and probably even get a tour of the facility.

My favorite draft beer places "in town" are: Revolution, Pizza Peal, Brixx, Duckworth's, Growler's Pourhouse, VBGB, and The Liberty (the owner has a personal collection of bottled beer in the basement that is amazing). For rare/good bottles, you can't beat Common Market.

Edit: Forgot to add that the old Picasso's, now The Sutton House, has come on REALLY strong with tons of taps and some great beers.

Last edited:
Back