• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Headed to Asheville in a couple of weeks, hoping to visit the Wedge, Sierra Nevada, Burial Brewing and Zillacoah.

Anyone got anything better than those?

pretty sure Sierra is closed except takeout. same with New Belgium. we like Hillman a lot, over in Biltmore Village. it's not the best beer in town but pretty good and has a nice lowkey atmosphere. lots of outdoor seating and even their building is pretty much open. good food, too.

I've heard really good things about the experience at White Labs.

I've heard really good things about the experience at White Labs.

yeah it's great. I cannot speak to them in current times, but their food is really good and they have a bunch of beers they brew themselves or with partners. They'll brew the same beer using different yeast strands.

the Collaboratory downtown is another good stop for food and beer. It's owned by the group that owns Oskar Blues, Cigar City, etc, and they have beers from all their brands plus some collab beers brewed in-house.

Headed to Asheville in a couple of weeks, hoping to visit the Wedge, Sierra Nevada, Burial Brewing and Zillacoah.

If you're hitting Burial, so many others within stumbling distance. Green Man, Twin Leaf, Funkatorium...

Article isn't specifically about beer but here's an article showing each president and their drinking habits. Thought about this since I'm pretty sure Trump -> Biden will be the first back-to-back teetotaler presidents in America's history.

https://lacrossetribune.com/lifesty..._107a0e07-326c-5d52-8abe-40ff87a378eb.html#42

James Monroe, my man.

James Monroe was a big fan of French wine, like Jefferson. Monroe preferred red wine and champagne, a thirst that got him into some trouble, per Will-Weber: "A small scandal occurred during Monroe's stint in the Executive Mansion when 1,200 bottles of Burgundy and Champagne from France were charged to an account that Congress had earmarked for furniture."

:bowrofl:

Cold Mountain is out. follow @coldmtntracker on Twitter for sightings in stores and on tap. Saw that Total Wine in W-S had it yesterday. Bought 12 packs myself, toning it down from recent years as I realized I actually have a fair amount still from last year squirreled away.

I like this year's batch, more cinnamon and holiday spiced flavored than years past. Hints of cherry.

Cold Mountain is out. follow @coldmtntracker on Twitter for sightings in stores and on tap. Saw that Total Wine in W-S had it yesterday. Bought 12 packs myself, toning it down from recent years as I realized I actually have a fair amount still from last year squirreled away.

I like this year's batch, more cinnamon and holiday spiced flavored than years past. Hints of cherry.

Got a case at the South Blvd Teeter in CLT yesterday. They had a massive display. Something about how big that store is/how much volume they sell let them get way more than most spots. Always an awesome time of the year, even if my love for the beer itself has waned a bit over the years.

I have single bottles of 4 or 5 years saved up. I'm thinking this year might be the year to do a taste test. Does beer ever go bad?

Got a case at the South Blvd Teeter in CLT yesterday. They had a massive display. Something about how big that store is/how much volume they sell let them get way more than most spots. Always an awesome time of the year, even if my love for the beer itself has waned a bit over the years.

I have single bottles of 4 or 5 years saved up. I'm thinking this year might be the year to do a taste test. Does beer ever go bad?

It's good and I enjoy getting it as part of the hunt (usually go to whichever Ingles is closest around 10 am), but it's not the be all end all people make it out to be. Great Lakes Christmas Ale is far superior IMO but I don't think they distribute in NC.

Great Lakes distributes in NC. Looks to be 15 or so places around Winston with Christmas Ale according to the Great Lakes website

Great Lakes distributes in NC. Looks to be 15 or so places around Winston with Christmas Ale according to the Great Lakes website

hmm will have to check it out. I've found those beer finder lists to be out of date in the past.

unfortunately, Asheville has lost 2 bottle shops this year.

I regularly get Great Lakes Christmas Ale in Durham. Already killed a six pack a couple weeks ago.

Wow...you just ID'd my four faves. Not sure I'd trek out to Sierra Nevada if there are heavy covid restrictions, but the scale and setting are amazing. Love Burial and Zillacoah has a great, no-frills setting...especially sitting by the river when the weather is nice.

Wow...you just ID'd my four faves. Not sure I'd trek out to Sierra Nevada if there are heavy covid restrictions, but the scale and setting are amazing. Love Burial and Zillacoah has a great, no-frills setting...especially sitting by the river when the weather is nice.

Sierra is only open for takeout food and food, and they've been like this the whole time. New Belgium had their outdoors open for reservation only until the end of October. now they're reverting to takeaway beer only for the winter.

I like Christmas Ale, but not as much as Cold Mountain, personally. Seems to have much fruitier, almost mulled wine, notes. I tend to prefer the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/nuttiness in CM.

I like Christmas Ale, but not as much as Cold Mountain, personally. Seems to have much fruitier, almost mulled wine, notes. I tend to prefer the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/nuttiness in CM.

Yeah. I prefer Cold Mountain to Christmas Ale. I used to really like Full Sail Wassail beer but I haven't seen it in years and don't think they make it anymore.

One of my favorite winter ales/lagers is Triple C's White Blaze in Charlotte. It doesn't get a bunch of publicity or even great reviews, but I love it. They released a vanilla rum barrel aged version a couple years ago that was one of the best beers I've ever had.

This past weekend was the Hardywood Gingerbread Stout and variants release. You can get the regular one at grocery stores, but it's hard to find the great variants (especially apple brandy barrel aged) outside of teh release party in my experience.

All these mentioned beers are holiday favorites of mine. Picked up Cold Mountain at Stella yesterday along with the maple KBS.

Went to my local Harris Teeter yesterday and there was a shopping cart filled with Cold Mountain, so I picked up two six-packs.

My favorite winter beer is Midnight Summit by Highland, it's fantastic

Back