• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Congratulations!

Any good breweries in W-S? Will be there next week for a bit.

Not that I found but if you find yourself in Greensboro while there, sticks and stones is really solid pizza with a nice beer selection.

Print Works Bistro was a pretty decent restaurant.

They're not bad. Small location and they probably had 6 - 8 beers on draft when I was there. Pretty good, but nothing dark.

Incendiary
Wiseman
Fiddlin Fish
Joymongers

In that order.

Went to Incendiary. Loved the location and the brewery, but was not impressed with the beer. I really liked Fiddlin' Fish - particularly Space Angler and That Fish Cray. Tried to get into Hoots (had their McJuicy IPA at the hotel) and Wiseman, but one was closed and the other was not easily accessed by foot.

Does Joymongers still have the big Mighty Mouse inside?

Also, why is everything in downtown Winston closed on Monday and Tuesday?

It used to be just some places on Mondays and sometimes just lunch, but then pandemic lots of places started closing early week.
Oddly, I noticed Downtown Thai is open Mondays but closed Friday for lunch.

Any good breweries in W-S? Will be there next week for a bit.

70's Deacs will remember this:
The Schlitz Brewery on 52S (later sold to Strohs) had a tasting room, The Brown Bottle. On Fridays, lots of Wake and Salem students would go for the obligatory plant tour (which was actually pretty neat; one time the bottling line went haywire and we watched hundreds of bottles full of beer explode at the capping station), followed by the tasting room; no charge. The drinking age then was 18, and you were served a 12 oz. bottle (none of this "flight" crap) of all 5 of the beers made at that location: Schlitz, Schlitz Light, Old Mil, Primo and Schlitz Malt Liquor("The Bull"). Imagine today putting a bunch of teenagers out on the road after serving them 5 free beers.

I'm in Asheville for a couple of nights, anyone have any brewery recs of places not to miss? I went to Wicked Weed last night, figured I'd stop by Highland since I can get that Georgia, but haven't heard of the rest of these places.

I went to Wicked Weed last night,

tenor.gif

I'm in Asheville for a couple of nights, anyone have any brewery recs of places not to miss? I went to Wicked Weed last night, figured I'd stop by Highland since I can get that Georgia, but haven't heard of the rest of these places.

Burial is pretty widely regarded as the best in town, and for good reason. Our other favorites include Green Man (Dirty Jack's at the original location is a great bar vibe), Hi-Wire, Bhramari for a different vibe and great food, and Zillicoah for delicious German beers on the river and probably the best Mexican food truck I've ever had.

Forestry Camp is Burial’s production place and really cool. Around the corner us one of our favorites, Hillman. You need a reservation to eat at Sierra Nevada rn but can drink on the back porch and there is some food without a res. New Belgium is cool too.

I know it's cool to bad mouth Wicked Weed because they sold out a few years ago. Reality is that their beer is still outstanding and food is way above average for a brewery....both of which were the case pre-acquisition.

Yeah it's insanely silly. They made $100 million+ (terms undisclosed, but Ballast Point sold for $1 Billion to Constellation Brands 2 years prior), and still run the brewery with (relatively) full autonomy. Who the hell would turn down that deal?

Back