• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

I'm pretty sure Great Lakes Christmas Ale has at least a little bit of crack in it.

Sierra Nevada is thinking of adding an east coast operation in Henderson County along the French Broad River. This would be a really cool thing.

http://www.mountainx.com/article/38...firms-theyre-looking-at-Henderson-County-site

Yup, that was the reason behind this law change:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...s-states-pre-eminence.html#storylink=misearch

New Belgium is also considering opening up shop in NC.

In other news, Charlotte's craft brewery scene is blowing up right now. We've had two new breweries open in the last two months, and there are 3 more in the permit process, a couple of which have already ordered their equipment. Those 3 will bring the city total up to 7-8 (depending on whether there's a small shop somewhere I don't know of). The NoDa area (arts district) is becoming a bit of a hub, with 3 calling the area home and I believe Southend is going to be the home for one of the breweries currently in the planning stage.

Last edited:
Most of the times here, the bartender just exchanges out the growler for one of theirs.

Yeah, same here in CLT with the breweries I go to, but they are only exchanging their own growlers with their labels already printed onto the glass (i.e. no stickers).

Just landed in Michigan. I am of the opinion it is the best beer state. Bells and Founders are incredible.

whoa whoa whoa. michigan is a great beer state (and both of those breweries are fantastic), but CA has to be the best beer state.

Just bought a whole case of Santas Reserve Ale from Rogue. Probably not a good idea - I had never had it and gave it try.

It's pretty decent, just takes like a super bitter IPA - was expecting more christmas/winter spices etc. It's not bad, just not great.

Also, at my local beer through, you can buy a case of Infinium for $220 - I opted to not get it.

Sierra+Nevada+Dogfish+Life+and+Limb+2.JPG

pricey, but very nice.

lagunitas+sucks.jpg

also very nice. couldn't find any at CityBev, but TotalWine had some.

Not wintery, but just picked this up at Whole Foods on Monday - awesome beer. Have never had anything from them before, will be trying a lot more of them now.

url

I had their 4 Calling Birds on Christmas, nice beer (though I don't know if I would get it again)

Also, I'd like to reopen the discussion of best beer state. I've heard nominations for Michigan and California, and I could hear arguments for PA, NY, and CO. Maybe dark horse in NC. What say Ye, beer bosses?

Actually saving both bottles for tomorrow when my BOI SteelCityDeac visits.

Also, I'd like to reopen the discussion of best beer stayed. I've heard nominations for Michigan and California, and I could hear arguments for PA, NY, and CO. Maybe dark horse in NC. What say Ye, beer bosses?

Pennsylvania, Colorado, California and New York are probably my top, right now.

The Bruery was another in a long line of solid beers coming out of cali, my favorites right now are Russian River Brewing, 21st Amendment and Firestone Walker. Bear Republic is good, I even like plenty of the ANchor beers too.

Pennsylvania with its atrocious laws, does have some damn good breweries. Victory is great, Troegs is awesome, Fegleys and Weyerbacher have some solid beers - I could take or leave their mass produced ones (Iron City and Yuengling), but I also like Sly Fox.

Colorado could stand on its own just with Avery, but Boulder Beer is great, Great Divide has some solid beers, not the biggest fan of Left Hand, but a lot of others are.

Michigan has Bells, for me that is it. I don't like Founders - I went to an event where they poured all the Founders beers, was very unimpressed. I would consider it a second tier, if we are measuring on craft versus mass consumption

Oh yeah, I said New York too.

Blue Point, Ommegang, Brooklyn Beer and Southern Tier are some of my go-tos in different parts of the year.

Pennsylvania, Colorado, California and New York are probably my top, right now.

The Bruery was another in a long line of solid beers coming out of cali, my favorites right now are Russian River Brewing, 21st Amendment and Firestone Walker. Bear Republic is good, I even like plenty of the ANchor beers too.

Pennsylvania with its atrocious laws, does have some damn good breweries. Victory is great, Troegs is awesome, Fegleys and Weyerbacher have some solid beers - I could take or leave their mass produced ones (Iron City and Yuengling), but I also like Sly Fox.

Colorado could stand on its own just with Avery, but Boulder Beer is great, Great Divide has some solid beers, not the biggest fan of Left Hand, but a lot of others are.

Michigan has Bells, for me that is it. I don't like Founders - I went to an event where they poured all the Founders beers, was very unimpressed. I would consider it a second tier, if we are measuring on craft versus mass consumption

I'm biased towards Founders cause I have a ton of family in Grand Rapids. I like four or five of their brews a lot. There are some great, albeit tiny breweries upstate.

Back