• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

JaiAlai-2.png

Anyone ever heard of/had anything by Barrel Culture (in Durham). Never heard of it before but was asked about it by someone I know in the northeast. Was shocked to see they were in Durham and I'd never heard of them. Seems like they only do sours which may be why I haven't come across but would think I'd at least have heard of them being in NC

Have heard of it. Never tried any of their beers.

Picked up a 4 pack of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout at Total Wine over the weekend. Pretty pricey, but I've heard rave reviews, so am excited to try. Also, for those of you who like Brown Ales and don't mind sweetness, Lazy Magnolia fairly recently started distributing to NC, and their Southern Pecan Brown is really, really good.

Girlfriend and I tried Pliny the Younger for the first time yesterday and came away very impressed. I'm a big Pliny the Elder fan but was skeptical that the Younger could live up to the ridiculous reputation. But it did. Surprisingly smooth for its 10.5% ABV this year. We also ordered a pint of Elder to compare the two.

How long did you wait for Younger?

How long did you wait for Younger?
2 and a half hours (but this was at a bar in SF, not at the brewery in Santa Rosa).

We showed up at 9am and were the 2nd and 3rd people in line. Expected a lot more people to be there by that time.

By 11:30 when they opened, the line had a few hundred people in it but only the first 75-100 ended up getting Younger.

Last edited:
A restaurant just tapped a keg of Hopslam tonight on $2 tuesdays. I hadn’t had it before. It was tasty.

A restaurant just tapped a keg of Hopslam tonight on $2 tuesdays. I hadn’t had it before. It was tasty.

For $2 a pop I’d have so many I’d sleep there. Not saying it’s that amazing of a beer but for that price with that ABV I would be set

What are the best / can't miss breweries in Austin right now? I'm headed there this weekend and looking for some ideas on places to go.

What are the best / can't miss breweries in Austin right now? I'm headed there this weekend and looking for some ideas on places to go.

If you have a car and like sours then Jester King is the brewery to go to. It's very west Austin though so an uber would be pretty pricey to and from there.

Live Oak is great and it's right next to the airport so you can go right when you get in or when you leave.

Austin Beerworks and Hop and Grain are my other favorites. Heard good things about Southern Heights but haven't been.

If you have a car and like sours then Jester King is the brewery to go to. It's very west Austin though so an uber would be pretty pricey to and from there.

Live Oak is great and it's right next to the airport so you can go right when you get in or when you leave.

Austin Beerworks and Hop and Grain are my other favorites. Heard good things about Southern Heights but haven't been.

Transportation won't be an issue - I've been to Jester King before and I think we're planning to go at some point this weekend.

Live Oak, Austin Beerworks and Hop & Grain are the types of recs I'm looking for. Many thanks!

Transportation won't be an issue - I've been to Jester King before and I think we're planning to go at some point this weekend.

Live Oak, Austin Beerworks and Hop & Grain are the types of recs I'm looking for. Many thanks!

Jester King has the best setting. Sours are not my favorite.

There is an area where you can walk to Celis, 4th Tap, Adelbert's, and Oskar Blues. They are very close to each other. Oskar Blues usually has live music on the weekends. The other 3 are pretty basic, although Celis has an interesting history. I happen to like 4th Tap's beers the best out of those. They are also fairly close to Austin Beerworks, but not walking distance.

Hops and Grain and Austin Eastciders are next on my list to visit. Friends and Allies is right next to the newly opened Austin Eastciders, but I did not love Friends and Allies.

Jester King has the best setting. Sours are not my favorite.

There is an area where you can walk to Celis, 4th Tap, Adelbert's, and Oskar Blues. They are very close to each other. Oskar Blues usually has live music on the weekends. The other 3 are pretty basic, although Celis has an interesting history. I happen to like 4th Tap's beers the best out of those. They are also fairly close to Austin Beerworks, but not walking distance.

Hops and Grain and Austin Eastciders are next on my list to visit. Friends and Allies is right next to the newly opened Austin Eastciders, but I did not love Friends and Allies.

Awesome - thanks for these.

I'm in Denver so we've got access to Oskar Blues taprooms up here; pass on that for this trip. Will look into the others though!

Sat down with a buddy to tie last night and instead all I did was drink beer.

This is the same Consecration in the previous post and a 2016 KBS.

ca7f5e2035598361a505345eba59295c.jpg

If for any reason people are on the east side of Maryland (across the bay), RAR is fantastic, especially if you can get in on one of their releases. They sell tickets beforehand so you're guaranteed it if you get your hands on some

Had a great bottle share a couple weeks ago....Obviously only a couple ounces of each, but I had fun experiencing a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn't

Aslin - DDH Neutrino
Aslin - Triple Orange Starfish
Burley Oak - Dark Matter
Decadent - Multiflora
Equilibriun - EQM
Evil Twin - Cece N'est Pas A
Fat Head's - Hop JuJu
Goose Island BCBS 2016
Hill Farmstead - Anna
Hudson Valley - Mirrorshield
Hudson Valley - Star Chamber
J. Wakefield - Atomik Apple
Karbach - Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter
Manayunk - Rise & Grind
New Glarius - Raspberry Tart
New Glarius - Wisconsin Belgian Red
Offshoot - Cross My Heart
Omnipollo - Noa Pecan Mud Cake Stout
Other Half - Something to Drink When All the IPA Is Gone
RAR - Do You Like Me?
RAR - Fresh J's
Shared - Throwing Rocks
South County - Gelato DDA Caramel Frappe
South County - Virgil 2016
The Answer - 3 Scoops (Pink Guava, Mango, Passionfruit)
Triple Crossing - Green Dreams
Une Annee - Le Seul III (Blackberry)
Veil - Henry Ded Mon
Veil - Old Sun
Veil - Peanut Butter Cup Hornswoggler
Westmalle Trappist Tripel from 2013

Went to a bachelor party this past weekend and a bunch of people brought beers to share.

Had a ton of Tired Hands (including going to the brewery). Had probably 8 different stouts by Cycle out of Tampa/St. Pete - they were all amazing. One of them (Greatest Hits BA Coffee Brinner) was the same style/flavors as CBS and it blew it out of the water.

Also had Mirrorshield and Star Chamber which JDawg just mentioned and they were both delicious.

Oberon was released earlier this week. While not the greatest beer, it's probably my favorite and I keep at least a 4 pack of 16oz cans in the fridge at all times when it is available.. Super drinkable, good flavor, and it means that it is time for warm weather & grilling out - just what we're doing tonight.

Oberon was released earlier this week. While not the greatest beer, it's probably my favorite and I keep at least a 4 pack of 16oz cans in the fridge at all times when it is available.. Super drinkable, good flavor, and it means that it is time for warm weather & grilling out - just what we're doing tonight.

I would argue it is a great beer...

Back