• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could you ever permanently live abroad?

I couldn't do it forever, but I do live vicariously through House Hunters International, especially when their employer gives them a monthly housing allowance of $10,000 or so.

I couldn't do it forever, but I do live vicariously through House Hunters International, especially when their employer gives them a monthly housing allowance of $10,000 or so.

That show has single handidly made my mom learn her first single iota about other cultures.

For all you homies saying yes, what if you had to give up your citizenship? Make this ish real permanent.

I did 7 months outside the US. It was hard to be an outsider 24/7, plus being an American comes with stigmas and expectations. It tainted every relationship.

Short of places like North Korea, Cuba, or Vietnam, I don't know of any country that requires you to renounce citizenship.

I wouldn't agree to move anywhere permanently, but I would definitely live abroad for a couple of years. I'm interested in the logistics of it, because it seems damn near impossible to move to Europe permanently without having a good job inplace.

It would have to be extrodinarily financially beneficial for me to do it forever.
I would love to move to another country for a year or two

I did almost two years in the culture most similar to our own. I absolutely loved it -- but by the end I was incredibly homesick.

I'm not sure how much of that was a function of missing friends, gf, family, and wake forest, and how much was missing that fundamental American-ness. Not sure that I could do it for forever.

I did almost two years in the culture most similar to our own. I absolutely loved it -- but by the end I was incredibly homesick.

I'm not sure how much of that was a function of missing friends, gf, family, and wake forest, and how much was missing that fundamental American-ness. Not sure that I could do it for forever.

C'mon. Canada's not that far away.

I am currently in Africa and loving it. Although it definitely helps to be in a large city.

I think the hardest thing is not being around/able to see family and friends

Other than that, it really isnt that difficult

Forever? Not if I was by myself. I hate other people, but I hate being alone more. I would have to take one other person with me if it's gonna be forever.

I would really like to live abroad for a while though. There are at least 25 countries I would very much like to live.

However, I must reserve to right to be back for the World Cup. Gotta cheer for America at home.

I lived in Japan for almost 2 years and enjoyed the experience, but I wouldn't live there again since it was so expensive. If I did relocate permanently abroad it would have to be a place where I can make a decent salary (think: US standard of living) and live inexpensively (like Central/South America). Someplace in Europe would be doable for me culturally, but economically they are having a lot of problems. The US is having problems too, but there's a lot to be said about living near your family when times are tough, which is why it makes sense to stay put.

I am currently in Africa and loving it. Although it definitely helps to be in a large city.

I think the hardest thing is not being around/able to see family and friends

Other than that, it really isnt that difficult

i think the difference for people comes down to how difficult it is to be away from family and friends. i know for me, it would be too much to ever fully love and embrace living somewhere that far away (i guess for me, at least, this pertains more to distance than anything- i could definitely do abroad somewhere closer- the bahamas was perfect. i didn't miss 'american-ness' and was easily able to get home if necessary. despite being 'abroad' it was way easier than oregon has been).

Right, just a hypothetical.

I doubt anyone would do it, save the most Lee Harvey types amongst us. I believe I've read that you cannot renounce your American citizenship solely for the reason of avoiding taxes. Some have tried this though it seems to work best if your name is GE, Exxon, or Dart.

As some who lives abroad with no plans to return home any time soon ...

I'm not sure I could live ANYWHERE permanently. Not close to home, not far from home. I'm just a wanderer at heart, and with the internet / skype / etc ... the parts of American culture (I watched every game of the NCAA Tournament, every NFL game I wanted too, etc - all in HD ... I talk to my family regularly via video chat, etc) that I really want to have I don't have to miss. This isn't 1860 anymore.

I doubt anyone would do it, save the most Lee Harvey types amongst us. I believe I've read that you cannot renounce your American citizenship solely for the reason of avoiding taxes. Some have tried this though it seems to work best if your name is GE, Exxon, or Dart.

You absolutely can renounce your citizenship - and most people do it to avoid taxes (or now, to avoid the US requiring them to hand over every piece of account information you are attached to ... killer if you have non-US partners in business, for example). A couple of thousand people a year do it.

I'd definitely do it, as long as I wasn't living on pennies a day. I'd really probably live anywhere.

As some who lives abroad with no plans to return home any time soon ...

I'm not sure I could live ANYWHERE permanently. Not close to home, not far from home. I'm just a wanderer at heart, and with the internet / skype / etc ... the parts of American culture (I watched every game of the NCAA Tournament, every NFL game I wanted too, etc - all in HD ... I talk to my family regularly via video chat, etc) that I really want to have I don't have to miss. This isn't 1860 anymore.

Where you livin at?

Back