• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could you ever permanently live abroad?

This post is incredibly on point, particularly the part about being great for one spouse's career and potentially a death sentence for the other's. I saw this over and over again in Oslo and Singapore.

Thank you for the tips. If anyone has any more info about being a trailing spouse, let me know. I think the hardest thing will be finding work. I have started looking at telecommuting jobs, and seeing which countries have reciprocity with US Law Degrees. But neither of those will be guaranteed.

Since going there in 2008, I have always said that the island needed a pub of some sort for the men to hang while the women shopped, and my wife and I joke about it often. Billiards, darts, cigars, worldwide sports feeds, etc. I would never give up my citizenship or live there permanently as I own more guns than I need and not as many as I want, and hunt as much as possible but not nearly as often as I want, but it would be fun to try it. But if someone has not done it already, maybe it is not feasable? I am sure even proposing opening a business in Capri, much less anywhere else in Europe, must be daunting for a foreigner.

It is funny, my wife explored an opportunity in Neuchatel Switzerland that would have kept her there three years, and I would have gone along. While our dog would have been quaratined for 30 days, if I checked with the local LEO, I could have brought non semiauto rifles and shotguns with me (no handguns). The Swiss probably would have expelled me from butchering the French language, but how many people from Winston ever live in Switzerland?

And deverpacker, we could hang any banner we like...

This is really sad. Guns are more important to him than a happy family life even in places where you have no need for guns.

This is really sad. Guns are more important to him than a happy family life even in places where you have no need for guns.

Hey moron, he didn't say he turned down a chance to live abroad because of his armory. He even went as far to find out which guns he could bring to Switzerland on a three-year assignment.

Thank you for the tips. If anyone has any more info about being a trailing spouse, let me know. I think the hardest thing will be finding work. I have started looking at telecommuting jobs, and seeing which countries have reciprocity with US Law Degrees. But neither of those will be guaranteed.

Yeah your best bet is telecommuting or a multinational firm (or company) that just needs a US state bar license, both of which depend heavily on the field of law and how far you are out of law school. Feel free to PM me.

Yes, finding work is tough. You basically have two potential options:
1. See this as a two to three year gig for your wife and don't even try to find a job. Some people love this, some people hate it, but it allows you to have a very different life for a bit.
2. See this as a potentially permanent move and you try to get a job. Unless you can telecommute or keep a job you already have and work remotely, it's very difficult to find a "good" job. By good, I mean a job that uses your education and skillset, and comes with commensurate pay. That being said, unless the economy is terrible in the place you go to, finding A job is often not hard.

This sounds perfect. I’d love to be able to live abroad and not be able to find a job, and just hang out and chill, morally supporting my lady, being there for all her needs, finding a good source for grass, and watching a lot of soccer.

It was a suggestion for you and your lady.

You'd have to be the sugar daddy if it was me. :)

But having fresh paella every day and totally legal drugs does have allure in Lisbon.

This sounds perfect. I’d love to be able to live abroad and not be able to find a job, and just hang out and chill, morally supporting my lady, being there for all her needs, finding a good source for grass, and watching a lot of soccer.

Yah, in Rio or Lisbon that would be cool, but not Moldova or Uzbekistan. Maybe I spend two years getting an online MBA.

So if you had to pick between moving to Warsaw, Poland or Jerusalem, Israel for two years, which one would you pick?

And no, neither of us are Jewish. And no, we could not pick a different city in that country.

So if you had to pick between moving to Warsaw, Poland or Jerusalem, Israel for two years, which one would you pick?

And no, neither of us are Jewish. And no, we could not pick a different city in that country.

I've never been to Jerusalem (BAD Jew) but Warsaw is fuckin depressing in the winter. There's some cool stuff going on of course otherwise and you're a quick train or flight from Europe's great cities.

Back