• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could you ever permanently live abroad?

Manifest Destiny

Broderick Hicks
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on living abroad but am not sure I could ever do it for more than a year. Could you? If so, where would you go?

i used to think i could. then when the opportunity actually presented itself, i just couldn't do it. being near my family was just too important to me.

I've been doing some research on living abroad but am not sure I could ever do it for more than a year. Could you? If so, where would you go?

I'd love to, but it's tough to do unless you have a job sponsoring you or enough capital to get an investor visa.

in a nanosecond

Yup. My retirement plans are actively focused on ex-patriating to Cayman Brac. I love America and will never renounce my citizenship and I'll probably keep a place here but I'm heading south when I'm old enough.

Does Canada count? I'd move to Toronto in a heartbeat. Past that would be tougher, especially since I've never had a great knack for picking up languages and I'd constantly feel bad for making everyone try to understand my English.

i used to think i could. then when the opportunity actually presented itself, i just couldn't do it. being near my family was just too important to me.

this. i could mayyybe do a few years with a definite end, but would need to have enough $ to get home at least once a year (this sounds shockingly similar to oregon).

I'm almost positive I could handle it (and I would likely try if I thought I could actually find a job and my wife wasn't so tied to her position here). I don't really have an interest in living in Asia, but I could certainly do most metropolitan areas in western Europe, and I definitely could do Buenos Aires or Santiago. Being near family isn't a big deal for me since I only see them once or twice a year, and a flight from Europe isn't that big of a deal.

It may change as I get older but right now I enjoy seeing friends around the Southeast too much to bounce. Now if I met a hot chick from abroad and we got married I might could do it but lets face it, theres not a great chance of that happening. Not because I'm not a stud, I can assure you I am, but because I dont think my general persona fits well with anyone but overly patriotic, sword rattling American jingoists.

Not for ever, but for any time three years and under, for sure. My old man was just offered 18 months in Florence. He is somehow considering not going (really my mom is hesitant).

I'm not sure how to answer this question.

I think the correct answer for me is, maybe, but it would heavily depend on the city/country.

(I have lived in Norway for almost four years now, but I'm itching to leave.)

Not for ever, but for any time three years and under, for sure. My old man was just offered 18 months in Florence. He is somehow considering not going (really my mom is hesitant).

See I think that thats the perfect situation. Living long term but being able to come back after a year and half.

de6dc5fa81a1b8c22447d86d477a893d08996250

We lived 3 years in Burma (without TV) and I loved it.

Like 94, we are very seriously looking at moving to the Caribbean and setting up shop.

I would move to Australia tomorrow and never look back.

Would never give up my citizenship however.

Back