• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Masters: Final Round

I don't hate Faldo, but I thought the comment about Schwartzel being his darkhorse to win the tournament was odd. Anyone can say that at the end of the thing. Is it documented anywhere that he actually made that prediction earlier in the week? I may have missed it since I was working on some other things while I was watching today, but did Faldo ever say anything to that effect while the round was progressing? I never heard it.

I see the point on Faldo. But his actual analysis is usually pretty solid. I'm also always impressed how well the guys stationed out on the holes end up knowing their greens by the end of the day. They're always dead on when they say something like "most players seem to think this is going to break about 3-4 inches right-to-left but it's going to go straight."

The player starts it out to the right and it never moves. They're almost never wrong. I know they have the advantage of watching 44+ guys putt throughout the day, but it just shows the effort they put into to calling a game.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I think in general television analysts for golf are probably better than they are for any other sport. Only one I might put up there with them is baseball guys.

I see the point on Faldo. But his actual analysis is usually pretty solid. I'm also always impressed how well the guys stationed out on the holes end up knowing their greens by the end of the day. They're always dead on when they say something like "most players seem to think this is going to break about 3-4 inches right-to-left but it's going to go straight."

The player starts it out to the right and it never moves. They're almost never wrong. I know they have the advantage of watching 44+ guys putt throughout the day, but it just shows the effort they put into to calling a game.

Was watching the "Amen Corner" broadcast when it started and up until the TV broadcast caught up with it. Nearly every group had someone with the 20-30 footer from pin high or slightly beyond on 12. Not sure anyone made that putt because it would never break enough right. They picked up on that from the second group and it stayed that way for the rest of the day.

Faldo and Miller are both complete assholes - the difference is Miller actually picks apart swings and little oddities by the players, whereas Faldo just says some bullshit that sounds kinda close to being right and that's the end of it.

Case in point - Rory's meltdown. Faldo's brilliant commentary - "Oh no... Where's that gone!? What's he done?! That's MILES away. Goodness Gracious!" No questioning of Rory pulling driver on a 3 wood hole, no analysis at all on his swing or his putting stroke, no calling out his caddy for not pulling safer clubs and protecting his score. Basically, nothing.

Miller, in similar situations such as Sergio's win over Goydos at the Player's, was spot on taking apart the intricacies of both of their swings, predicting trouble holes, catching comments caddies were making and body language - he's just a much better analyst.

And while he's always good for an asinine comment about how he'd do better than Player X, he's never said "oh I had that guy as my dark horse pick" just to make himself sound like a genius on national television.

If Faldo didn't have an accent he wouldn't have a television career.

While I agree with most everything you said, I could have sworn Johnny hopped on Dustin Johnson's bandwagon Saturday afternoon at the US Open last year.

Back