• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That Monopoly "Bank Error in Your Favor" Card is Bullshit; Fuck Wells Fargo

money-under-the-mattress.jpg

Excellent first post.

credit-unions-300x256.jpg

Wow.

1. Still getting $ from parents.
2. Spending said $ as soon as its received.
3. Not having sufficient funds to cover a $75 debit.
4. Blaming the bank.
5. Thinking you can get a favorable resolution by speaking on the telephone with customer service reps.
6. Telling about it on a messageboard.

Wow.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/09/bank-deposit-error-in-your-favor-give-it-back/

Take Randy and Melissa Marie Pratt, whose perceived windfall turned into jail time, when they took an erroneous bank deposit and ran. Melissa made a bank deposit to FNB Bank in the summer of 2008 of $1,772.50, but the bank read the check as $177,250. When the central Pennsylvania couple saw the difference in their bank balance, they wrote checks to another account, quit their jobs, bought a new vehicle and moved to Orlando, Fla. They were in the process of buying a house before the bank deposit mistake was traced.

In 2000, Susan R. Madakor received bank deposits of $701,998. Foreign governments were trying to contribute to a United Nations environmental program account that was one digit off from Madakor's Chase Manhattan Bank account. Madakor, from Brooklyn, claimed she believed she won an international lottery and had spent about $250,000 to invest in a laundry business, set up a college fund for her son, pay off credit card debt, and lease a minivan before Chase realized the bank deposit error and froze the account. Madakor's request to a State Supreme Court judge that the assets be unfrozen was denied. She was later convicted of bank larceny and bank fraud, sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay restitution to Chase.

Wow.

1. Still getting $ from parents.
2. Spending said $ as soon as its received.
3. Buying a new cell phone, although existing cell phone presumably works just fine.
4. Not having sufficient funds to cover a $75 debit.
5. Blaming the bank.
6. Telling about it on a messageboard.

Wow.

Sorry Boogity, some of us still receive gifts from our parents. As the money was needed immediately, it was spent immediately. I'm confused by 3 & 4, I don't know what your talking about with either of those.

I'm confused. They withdrew the accidental double deposit and MORE money as a punishment? I don't think that's what happened but that's the only way I can see someone being rightfully upset by this. Think of it the other way, if you had accidentally hit submit 2x or, worse, if WF had charged your account 2x for one $75 deposit would you think it was cool for them to KEEP the $75?

Now, if they were charging you for the mistake that they made I would get the anger. Sucks that they made a mistake but they can't just give you the money.

redneck-out-house-665x600.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT, BIG BAD BANK, YOU DONE WRONGED ME AND DEACON CHIN, HE DON'T COTTON TO BEING WRONGED!!!

I'm confused. They withdrew the accidental double deposit and MORE money as a punishment? I don't think that's what happened but that's the only way I can see someone being rightfully upset by this. Think of it the other way, if you had accidentally hit submit 2x or, worse, if WF had charged your account 2x for one $75 deposit would you think it was cool for them to KEEP the $75?

Now, if they were charging you for the mistake that they made I would get the anger. Sucks that they made a mistake but they can't just give you the money.

If someone said they were giving you a gift, and it turned out to be a nicer gift than you expected, would you assume it was a mistake and send it back? This isn't like an obvious 100k error where some crazy lady thought she won the lottery. Poor kentucky rube that I am, I'm not suspicious of 150 dollars. Does everyone here wait a month after Christmas to open their presents, just to make sure no one gave them too much?

If someone said they were giving you a gift, and it turned out to be a nicer gift than you expected, would you assume it was a mistake and send it back? This isn't like an obvious 100k error where some crazy lady thought she won the lottery. Poor kentucky rube that I am, I'm not suspicious of 150 dollars. Does everyone here wait a month after Christmas to open their presents, just to make sure no one gave them too much?

Keep digging that hole. No one here (rightfully) is going to show you any sympathy.

Not sure I would rely on a board game for financial advice in the first place. Just sayin.

I'm not saying that YOU should have assumed that it was a mistake and sent it back automatically but I don't think that it is absurd that the bank would take back the money that they accidentally deposited in your account. It sucks but it's not really THE MOST UNFAIR THING IN THE WORLD~!~1`

Reactions: ITK
I'm not saying that YOU should have assumed that it was a mistake and sent it back automatically but I don't think that it is absurd that the bank would take back the money that they accidentally deposited in your account. It sucks but it's not really THE MOST UNFAIR THING IN THE WORLD~!~1`

No, it's definitely not the most unfair thing in the world, but to a point I believe they should eat their own mistakes, instead of withdrawing from personal accounts at their leisure.

So the people who had 100s of thousands of dollars deposited into their accounts should have been able to keep it as well?

So the people who had 100s of thousands of dollars deposited into their accounts should have been able to keep it as well?

Maybe you didn't read the "to a point", or the other reference I made to that nonsensical extension. Of course not, because that's an obvious oversight. If you want to flip this, do you think I should be jailed for spending the extra 75? That's an equally ridiculous comparison.

I assume it REALLY pisses you off when your friends leave a jacket at your house mistakenly and then take it back the next time they come over?

A Credit Union would have done the same thing.

Back