• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That Monopoly "Bank Error in Your Favor" Card is Bullshit; Fuck Wells Fargo

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/09/bank-deposit-error-in-your-favor-give-it-back/

Take Randy and Melissa Marie Pratt, whose perceived windfall turned into jail time, when they took an erroneous bank deposit and ran. Melissa made a bank deposit to FNB Bank in the summer of 2008 of $1,772.50, but the bank read the check as $177,250. When the central Pennsylvania couple saw the difference in their bank balance, they wrote checks to another account, quit their jobs, bought a new vehicle and moved to Orlando, Fla. They were in the process of buying a house before the bank deposit mistake was traced.

In 2000, Susan R. Madakor received bank deposits of $701,998. Foreign governments were trying to contribute to a United Nations environmental program account that was one digit off from Madakor's Chase Manhattan Bank account. Madakor, from Brooklyn, claimed she believed she won an international lottery and had spent about $250,000 to invest in a laundry business, set up a college fund for her son, pay off credit card debt, and lease a minivan before Chase realized the bank deposit error and froze the account. Madakor's request to a State Supreme Court judge that the assets be unfrozen was denied. She was later convicted of bank larceny and bank fraud, sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay restitution to Chase.

obviously Wells Fargo doesn't subscribe to the "finders keepers, losers weepers" banking policy. i'll check to see if it's in bank of america's terms and conditions

Last year $1200 bucks mysteriously showed up in my account and I called Wells Fargo and was like as much as I would love to have this extra 12 hunge I don't think it's mine. Can you tell me what's up with that, and the person was like no it's a counter deposit so we can't figure it out for several days. So I had 1200 bucks in my account that I told them wasnt mine and they did nothing. Turns out when my roommate went to turn deposit the rent for our landlord the teller put it in my account instead. Figured it out like 2 days later when our land lady called us bitching about where the rent was.

Last year $1200 bucks mysteriously showed up in my account and I called Wells Fargo and was like as much as I would love to have this extra 12 hunge I don't think it's mine. Can you tell me what's up with that, and the person was like no it's a counter deposit so we can't figure it out for several days. So I had 1200 bucks in my account that I told them wasnt mine and they did nothing. Turns out when my roommate went to turn deposit the rent for our landlord the teller put it in my account instead. Figured it out like 2 days later when our land lady called us bitching about where the rent was.

Wish you had spent that shit and posted about it, would have saved me some trouble.

I once in college had a credit card that charged me $973 and change for a $97 bill. I had a a temporary credit placed on the card for the $880 difference and then a permanent credit was placed on the card for the same amount but the temporary credit was never removed. After calling 3 or 4 times to tell them of their mistake and let them remove the credit, I spent the credit over several months and cancelled the card a year later.

Maybe I missed it but is there a reason you can't return $75 worth of the extra merchandise? You were going to have to pay your cell phone bill out of your paycheck anyway if not for the gift.

Maybe I missed it but is there a reason you can't return $75 worth of the extra merchandise? You were going to have to pay your cell phone bill out of your paycheck anyway if not for the gift.

Maybe, but I already worn those clothes (another bullet point for boogity!) plus I'm not that broke.

Well he actually did the responsible thing. You're saying you would have gone on a spending spree with it?

it was a joke. I certainly would have been much more cautious with a mysterious 1200 dollar gift from my parents.

Well he actually did the responsible thing. You're saying you would have gone on a spending spree with it?

I thought about it, particularly after they told me they couldn't help me. I was like shit I better get this money out quick before they figure out their mistake. Actually, I really thought that I was being scammed and someone had figured out my account info and was depositing money only to come back later and wipe me out.

Do you seriously think you're going to get any sympathy from a Wake Forest message board when you make an anti-banking post? Seriously? Someone on here is probably the reason Wells Fargo is going to start charging us $5 a month for having an account.

When a teller's drawer doesn't balance at the end of the day, which happened in this case, they don't just 'write it off' as you suggest. Wrong type of business Holmes....it ain't a cash-friendly restaurant. Since it was a cash shortage, it has to be corrected ASAP by that teller, who is ultimately held accountable. There is no magical pool of money to draw from when human errors are made. And it doesn't get expensed to the branch. Should they have called you first? Probably so. But that's what you get when you deal with a national bank.

$5 monthly debit care fee? C'mon Wells Fargo, you're better than that. I have one bill set up for Bill Pay. For some crazy reason, they debit my account when the check goes out as opposed to when the recipient cashes it. I also hate their website. I will be leaving prior to August 2012. Fuck 'em.

When a teller's drawer doesn't balance at the end of the day, which happened in this case, they don't just 'write it off' as you suggest. Wrong type of business Holmes....it ain't a cash-friendly restaurant. Since it was a cash shortage, it has to be corrected ASAP by that teller, who is ultimately held accountable. There is no magical pool of money to draw from when human errors are made. And it doesn't get expensed to the branch. Should they have called you first? Probably so. But that's what you get when you deal with a national bank.

You're right, the tellers errors don't get expensed to the branch. That wouldn't make any sense, would it? A place of business being responsible for it's employee's mistakes. It's been made quite clear to me that banking doesn't work the same way that other businesses do.

It's been made quite clear to me that banking doesn't work the same way that other businesses do.

Welcome to 2007.

Banks can make money either gambling on oil future derivatives and crashing the entire economy or by charging people a few bucks a month. They're not a non-profit industry, and unless you want them all nationalized, I'd certainly prefer the latter.

Its not unreasonable that there be some charge for someone or something to monitor and approve all transactions hitting your account. In the golden days of 8% interest they could take your checking account monies and earn a good profit on that, net of the costs of administering your account. This is no longer the case and hasn't for a few years, hence the new fees.

Last edited:
You're right, the tellers errors don't get expensed to the branch. That wouldn't make any sense, would it? A place of business being responsible for it's employee's mistakes. It's been made quite clear to me that banking doesn't work the same way that other businesses do.

As a shareholder, I would say hell no. Banks are for-profit businesses. If you are not happy with your service, you are free to leave. An error is not remedied by an expense report. Certain fees can be eaten by a branch at their discretion, but once again a fee does not equal an error. Just b/c one employee made a duplicate entry doesn't give you the right to scream bloody murder and demand $75.

Have you worked for a business that was monitored by the Federal Reserve?

I always thought it was "Homes", like Homie, Homeslice, etc. Is it Holmes like Sherlock?? I need answers!!!

As a shareholder, I would say hell no. Banks are for-profit businesses. If you are not happy with your service, you are free to leave. An error is not remedied by an expense report. Certain fees can be eaten by a branch at their discretion, but once again a fee does not equal an error. Just b/c one employee made a duplicate entry doesn't give you the right to scream bloody murder and demand $75.

What do you mean that a fee doesn't equal an error? Also, the bank demanded 75$ from me, and that's the problem. There was no gun to their head when their teller fucked up. The expense report of said bank is also not my concern, but even if it were, I'm sure their error rate is pretty insignificant in the face of the overdraft fees and overdue mortgages they collect, along with interest they draw on their accounts.

$5 monthly debit care fee? C'mon Wells Fargo, you're better than that. I have one bill set up for Bill Pay. For some crazy reason, they debit my account when the check goes out as opposed to when the recipient cashes it. I also hate their website. I will be leaving prior to August 2012. Fuck 'em.

why is this an issue?

In Finders Keepers land it'd be hilarious if a teller made a mistake that was significant enough to drastically miss wall street expectations, and cause a liquidity freeze because of all of the counter party risk that put the global economy on it knees because someone has to take responsibility.

I always thought it was "Homes", like Homie, Homeslice, etc. Is it Holmes like Sherlock?? I need answers!!!

Yes from Sherlock Holmes. "What's up Holmes" dates back to 70's urban Chicano/black slang. Pairs well with "no shit, Sherlock".

Back