• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That Monopoly "Bank Error in Your Favor" Card is Bullshit; Fuck Wells Fargo

There was no gun to their head when their teller fucked up. The expense report of said bank is also not my concern, but even if it were, I'm sure their error rate is pretty insignificant in the face of the overdraft fees and overdue mortgages they collect, along with interest they draw on their accounts.

I'm fairly sure there would be a lot of collusion between bank tellers and their friends if people could windfall off of teller mistakes.

What do you mean that a fee doesn't equal an error? Also, the bank demanded 75$ from me, and that's the problem. There was no gun to their head when their teller fucked up. The expense report of said bank is also not my concern, but even if it were, I'm sure their error rate is pretty insignificant in the face of the overdraft fees and overdue mortgages they collect, along with interest they draw on their accounts.

Out of curiosity, what amount would the mistake need to be to make you think you should pay back the money? Clearly you think a $75 mistake by a teller should be eaten by the bank and you should keep the money. What if the mistake had been $7500? Do you get to keep that? How about $75,000. Where do you draw the line between a mistake that you should profit from and a mistake where you don't get to make a profit?

I'm fairly sure there would be a lot of collusion between bank tellers and their friends if people could windfall off of teller mistakes.

Yeah, but it would be very easy to fire a teller at the first sign of collusion. Even with their current lossless system I doubt lower level bank employees are allowed many accounting mistakes

Yes from Sherlock Holmes. "What's up Holmes" dates back to 70's urban Chicano/black slang. Pairs well with "no shit, Sherlock".

Ah. Certainly sounds like a variation of "homie" when you hear it referenced on TV/Movies/your local gang.

Out of curiosity, what amount would the mistake need to be to make you think you should pay back the money? Clearly you think a $75 mistake by a teller should be eaten by the bank and you should keep the money. What if the mistake had been $7500? Do you get to keep that? How about $75,000. Where do you draw the line between a mistake that you should profit from and a mistake where you don't get to make a profit?
It wouldnt be very much. My problem is mostly with the way they went about it. The bank should be a lot more direct and transparent about it. They could have sent me an email or left me a message on the website. They clearly dont give a fuck and it pissed me off.

First, this is obviously a non-issue. Someone made a mistake, and it was noticed. Nothing to get outraged about. If you find someone's wallet on the sidewalk do you just keep it for yourself or do you try to find the owner? They probably should have contacted you that there was a mistake, but you also should have verified the size of the deposit with your parents.

Second, this didn't happen because of Wells Fargo. Banks of all sizes make mistakes. I had $1000 randomly disappear out of my account at a small bank. It fixed itself, but computer glitches and keying errors happen at all banks (and in all businesses). If anything I would expect larger banks to have more defined processes than smaller banks that would result in fewer errors.

First, this is obviously a non-issue. Someone made a mistake, and it was noticed. Nothing to get outraged about. If you find someone's wallet on the sidewalk do you just keep it for yourself or do you try to find the owner? They probably should have contacted you that there was a mistake, but you also should have verified the size of the deposit with your parents.

I've never stolen money from anyone in my life. I didn't find a wallet on the street, with someones identification in it. I found a small amount of money in my bank account, posing as a gift from my parents. Comparing my situation to theft is disengenious. Please don't accidentally drop money in my stocking next Christmas, TBR, because I will assuredly spend that shit without hesitation or apology.

How have we gone to page 5 without a wall street money never sleeps photoshop with Shia La Bouef and mydeaconmyhand's avatar posing as Gordon Gekko.

I will be dropping Wells Fargo next year when I graduate from Wake. Don't know my next bank since it depends on where I'll be living.

I've never stolen money from anyone in my life. I didn't find a wallet on the street, with someones identification in it. I found a small amount of money in my bank account, posing as a gift from my parents. Comparing my situation to theft is disengenious. Please don't accidentally drop money in my stocking next Christmas, TBR, because I will assuredly spend that shit without hesitation or apology.

If you're expecting $20 from me and get $40, shouldn't you ask me if I meant to give you $40 or if it was just an accident?

This thread has really delivered. Thank you all for the entertainment.

If you're expecting $20 from me and get $40, shouldn't you ask me if I meant to give you $40 or if it was just an accident?

If I'm expecting a specific amount of money from a complete stranger and I get more than that, I will certainly question it. Had that been the situation, this would have gone differently. When I talk to my mom on the phone about being broke and trying to figure out how to pay a bill, and she says she will help me out, I don't feel the need to question the transaction when the deposit is 40 dollars more than said bill.

If I'm expecting a specific amount of money from a complete stranger and I get more than that, I will certainly question it. Had that been the situation, this would have gone differently. When I talk to my mom on the phone about being broke and trying to figure out how to pay a bill, and she says she will help me out, I don't feel the need to question the transaction when the deposit is 40 dollars more than said bill.

20188374.jpg

This thread truly exceeded my expectations.

Also:
"uh, excuse me, Holmes? What it is bro."

Texasdeac: posrep.

I do enjoy the idea that a small bank won't make errors and charge fees. Also that broke college guy decided that his urgent financial need was shirts from Belk.

Texasdeac: posrep.

I do enjoy the idea that a small bank won't make errors and charge fees. Also that broke college guy decided that his urgent financial need was shirts from Belk.

nah man, bills come first. I just used the unexpected surplus for shirts. I should known that shirt money was too good to be true.

nah man, bills come first. I just used the unexpected surplus for shirts. I should known that shirt money was too good to be true.

sav·ing (svng)
n.
1. Rescue from harm, danger, or loss.
2. Avoidance of excess expenditure; economy.
3. A reduction in expenditure or cost.
4. Something saved.

Please see definition 2. Perhaps if you're too broke to pay a cell phone bill, you shouldn't go extend your wardrobe. Hopefully you at least went to Jos A Bank and got the "buy one get rest of store free, sale".

Hypothetical: If MDMH had closed and cashed out his bank account before the bank realized its error, and a few months later they wrote him a letter saying "please give us our money back," should he do it?

Back