• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That Monopoly "Bank Error in Your Favor" Card is Bullshit; Fuck Wells Fargo

The branch manager of my Wells Fargo called me to thank me for making a deposit yesterday. The deposit was $30. This seems really odd to me.

The branch manager of my Wells Fargo called me to thank me for making a deposit yesterday. The deposit was $30. This seems really odd to me.

Spend it fast before they take it away!

File under "Tell me it's raining while pissing on my shoes."

I deposited $375 yesterday and had to not stare at the teller's cleavage for like six minutes to do it, nobody called me.

He gave me a cookie and a water yesterday to. Do you think he's just hitting on me?

I'm pissed that CLT airport sold banking rights to BOA, which means that all Wells ATMs were removed from the airport. That's like imposing a $3 tax on me. Farkers.

Ally Bank.

No ATM fee's, no minimum balances, excellent customer service, and interest on checking (no minimum balance for that either).

If you value sitting in lines at a brick and mortar bank then it isn't for you, but otherwise I can't figure out why someone wouldn't bank with an online only bank. ING and Fidelity are supposed to be good too.

Reactions: BDL
I'll be opening a new account when I move. Cant wait to tell BofA to go to hell.

I still had my Wells Fargo checking account open from my undergrad days at Wake and it has had a ~$20 balance for the last five years. I finally took the balance out last month and I just called to close the account so I don't have to worry about it anymore. The rep informed me that it was labeled as a dormant account (makes sense), but that in order to close it I'd have to reactivate the account and call back once it was active again to close it.

Apparently a dormant account cannot be closed, so if I didn't reactivate the account it would remain dormant and I'd risk incurring fees at some point. :wtf:

They can incur fees on you all they want, but if there is no money in there, then they can't get anything. Lately, whenever I get a bill for bogus charges, I've started sending my own bill for my time back to whoever is billing me. I had a bill for my kid from a hospital that resulted in about $15 that my insurance didn't pay, so they billed me directly. I paid it, but their system for some reason didn't book it right, so they kept sending me a bill and tacking on finance charges. I finally just sent the hospital my own bill for $250 for "consultation time attempting to rectify billing system", and told them that they can try to sue me for the $15 plus finance charges, and I will counterclaim for nonpayment of my $250 bill plus finance charges. Never heard from them again.

i should know this, but can a bank fee you into the negative and then charge off your account? when you have an account charged off, you are put in chexsystems which would block you from opening an account at another bank until you repaid the charged off amount.

Just to jump on the Wells Fargo thread, I recently refinanced my house via an FHA Streamline loan. So, no cash out, really simple requirements, very easy to do, etc. Wells Fargo owned my old mortgage and I contacted them about refinancing. They wouldn't call me back for weeks. Finally, when I started talking to other mortgage brokers Wells Fargo called me and I talked to their guy about the refinance. I was told the best they could do was to take me from 5.5 percent to 4.5 percent. I told them rates for the loan I was trying to refinance with were more like 4.0 at the time. They told me I couldn't refinance any lower than 4.5 and I should just go with them since they held my loan already and it would be easy. I said no.

I proceeded to refinance with goodmortgage.com in Charlotte. They were great, btw. The whole thing was complete in about 1.5 months, and it only took that long because it sat in underwriting for so long. I was able to refinance just like I wanted, down to 3.75 percent and the whole thing ended up costing me about 200 bucks out of pocket.

So anyway, I go close the new loan and they tell me they've already sold my loan to a new provider, since goodmortgage is just a broker. Guess who bought my loan? Yep, Wells Fargo...

I know it's different divisions in a huge company, etc. It's just funny that they wouldn't call me back. Then they wouldn't work with me. Then they said that I couldn't get finance at better terms than they were offering. And then they bought my loan back after I went and financed at market terms. Whatever.

Ally Bank.

No ATM fee's, no minimum balances, excellent customer service, and interest on checking (no minimum balance for that either).

If you value sitting in lines at a brick and mortar bank then it isn't for you, but otherwise I can't figure out why someone wouldn't bank with an online only bank. ING and Fidelity are supposed to be good too.

Are you still happy with Ally? I've had two security breaches at Suntrust over the past 3 weeks and they wouldn't overnight my replacement card. Fuck 'em.

Are you still happy with Ally? I've had two security breaches at Suntrust over the past 3 weeks and they wouldn't overnight my replacement card. Fuck 'em.

No complaints or issues. I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it unless they regularly need something other than $20s (e.g. for parking or tolls).

Just to jump on the Wells Fargo thread, I recently refinanced my house via an FHA Streamline loan. So, no cash out, really simple requirements, very easy to do, etc. Wells Fargo owned my old mortgage and I contacted them about refinancing. They wouldn't call me back for weeks. Finally, when I started talking to other mortgage brokers Wells Fargo called me and I talked to their guy about the refinance. I was told the best they could do was to take me from 5.5 percent to 4.5 percent. I told them rates for the loan I was trying to refinance with were more like 4.0 at the time. They told me I couldn't refinance any lower than 4.5 and I should just go with them since they held my loan already and it would be easy. I said no.

I proceeded to refinance with goodmortgage.com in Charlotte. They were great, btw. The whole thing was complete in about 1.5 months, and it only took that long because it sat in underwriting for so long. I was able to refinance just like I wanted, down to 3.75 percent and the whole thing ended up costing me about 200 bucks out of pocket.

So anyway, I go close the new loan and they tell me they've already sold my loan to a new provider, since goodmortgage is just a broker. Guess who bought my loan? Yep, Wells Fargo...

I know it's different divisions in a huge company, etc. It's just funny that they wouldn't call me back. Then they wouldn't work with me. Then they said that I couldn't get finance at better terms than they were offering. And then they bought my loan back after I went and financed at market terms. Whatever.

I had a very similar experience with Wachovia. When I was going to purchase my first home, I went to Wachovia where I had my banking account. Their rates were at least .5% higher than market. Puzzled, I went to a mortgage broker instead who gave me a competitive rate, and sold my mortgage to.....Wachovia. So they'll buy a mortgage at current rate, but won't create a mortgage at the same competitive rate. ?? Apparently, their retail loan dept is for suckers, and they get more $$ from suckers than they pay out to mortgage brokers.

When this thread was bumped, I didn't remember it. So I was rereading this last page and when I stumbled on this post, I thought to myself, "Yeah, man, tellers have some big tits."

Then I read:

And I was like, "yeah, that guy knows what I'm talkin' about."

Oh...that's me. NEAT!

Then I found five dollars.

That's fantastic.

Back