• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 4/10/11

I doubt there is anyone on this board who would disagree with you.

That said, how many big men arrive at college each fall with a physically mature body ready to successfully play in the post? A handful, maybe?

Seems that unless you're fortunate enough to be an elite program able to get a Greg Oden, Tyler Hansbrough, or Greg Monroe, you have two realistic options: (1) a guy who needs to bulk up, add weight and strength (e.g., Kyle Visser); or (2) a guy who needs to slim down, add stamina and strength (e.g., Big E). Don't forget that Big E didn't arrive at Wake Forest as Big E. Dude weighed 300 lbs, was woefully out of shape, and fouled out of every game because of his lack of conditioning.

He also averaged 8.7 pts, 4.1 reb, and shot 55% from the floor in 20 min/game his freshman year. I'd take that in a heartbeat (as would most people here, I assume). It only got better from there, as we remember. Visser didn't make a really big impact until his senior year.

Of course you can't make an example from one guy but I'm starting to believe it's an easier path to slim down/get a husky kid in better shape than to beef up a skinny kid just to be able to stand in the post.

Big E was also a McD's kid though. So yes, I would definitely take a McDonalds All-American who needed serious work on his weight and conditioning, rather than a later bloomer like Green or Washington (who has reclassed, so will have that extra year), but those guys just aren't all that available. There have to be a ton more who need to bulk up than the other way around.

That being said, the two Euros who aren't "bangers", already look pretty developed going by those videos, so I don't know that it would be as much a question of weight work as it would be of mentality.

Thanks for the info, King!

As to the beefing up thing- I think it depends how much the kid needs to beef up to contribute. Are we talking someone like Chas or Ty who can't really play at all as a freshman? Or are we talking someone like Visser or Vytas who needs to add bulk but still can give you 15-20 minutes a game as a freshman?

Chas never seemed to get that beefy. His frame could never handle it. But he was still able to rebound quite well due to his long arms and great hands.

AFA, clearly, was an amazing rebounder as well. Huge ups, long body, and sticky hands.

Point is basically this: "beef" does not necessarily equate to good rebounding. Don't get me wrong, guys like DeJuan Blair seem like prototype rebounders, but then again so did AFA. Some guys get boards through strength, and others get them with timing, positioning, and great hands.

I really hope some of our guys have the whole timing, positioning, and hands thing. Everything I've read about Green says he has the "skills" to be a good rebounder. Hope that's what they mean.

Looks like we may have offered 2012 center Adam Woodbury.

Talked to Greg McClinton recently and we are #1 on his list. Not sure how strong of a #1, but he is #1. Followed by Louisville and Xavier. He has some strong suiters though.

He is planning on making his choice junior year, or start of senior year.

Color me intrigued. A quick Google search has him at 4* on Scout and ESPN, a beatable offer list, and links to threads that say he's 7-1 and scout profile says 220.

Go get 'em Bz.

Woodbury ESPN profile:

May, 2010: Woodbury is a skilled lefty post that plays with great energy and urgency on both ends of the floor. He runs extremely well and gets his share of easy baskets on effort alone. Woodbury can score with his back to basket with jump hooks, drop steps, turn shots and from drop off passes created by dribble penetration that he has the ability to finish with either hand. He can hit open mid range shots with range to the arc. He is also a terrific passer with great touch and feel for where to place the ball. It is a great asset to be a great passer at seven feet tall because he will always be able to see over the defense. Defensively Woodbury is a lane clogger and shot changer. He is mobile enough to defend inside and out. He is an excellent area rebounder as well. He upside is off the charts and if he adds strength and maintains his conditioning his future is extremely bright.

Seems like he would be a great get for the staff, even though we already signed a 2012 C.

Color me intrigued. A quick Google search has him at 4* on Scout and ESPN, a beatable offer list, and links to threads that say he's 7-1 and scout profile says 220.

Go get 'em Bz.

Working on figuring out if we have offered or not.

Trying to establish an Iowa pipeline?

Peter Jok kinda sounds like Majok Majok.

Woodbury ESPN profile:

May, 2010: Woodbury is a skilled lefty post that plays with great energy and urgency on both ends of the floor. He runs extremely well and gets his share of easy baskets on effort alone. Woodbury can score with his back to basket with jump hooks, drop steps, turn shots and from drop off passes created by dribble penetration that he has the ability to finish with either hand. He can hit open mid range shots with range to the arc. He is also a terrific passer with great touch and feel for where to place the ball. It is a great asset to be a great passer at seven feet tall because he will always be able to see over the defense. Defensively Woodbury is a lane clogger and shot changer. He is mobile enough to defend inside and out. He is an excellent area rebounder as well. He upside is off the charts and if he adds strength and maintains his conditioning his future is extremely bright.

Seems like he would be a great get for the staff, even though we already signed a 2012 C.

:eek: Did his mom and dad write that? Senior year Duncan didn't have a scouting report that glowing.

Back