Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1018

Thread: Pit Book/Discussion Thread

  1. #221
    I hated Slaughterhouse Five the first time I read it. Read it again a few years later and I really liked it. Possibly because I read a few others by Vonnegut in between and had a better handle on his sense of humor? I don’t know.

    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a fun one too.

    I, however, cannot read 2 or 3 books at once. I haven’t been reading much lately, but I did pick up Mo Metta Blues by Questlove. Philly pride.

  2. #222
    Ha I got Mo Betta Blues for the gf's mom for xmas. She was pumped.

    Here are 5 forthcoming books to keep an eye out for in 2014 (sent to me by a book blogger friend):

    Glow - Ned Beauman
    Man v Nature - Diane Cook
    My Biggest Lie - Luke Brown
    Black Cloud -Juliet Escoria
    Eat My Heart Out - Zoe Pilger

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Re-read Slaughterhouse Five this weekend and it made me a little sad but so it goes. Hadn't read it since middle school, when it effed me up. Now I recognize what an amazing book it is. Maybe the best anti-war novel ever?
    Read it this summer and loved it. I think I agree about the anti-war novel bit, but what are some others that are in the discussion? Slaughterhouse definitely sticks out for its zany, borderline absurdity (much like war?) as opposed to other war books which beat you over the skull with violence and gore (much like war?).

  4. #224
    Catch 22 is probably the biggest rival. I would say any book about war satirizing it or with the intent of showing its truest brutality may qualify (my own completely arbitrary definition).

    Off the top of my head:

    Cat's Cradle
    A Farewell to Arms
    All Quiet on the Western Front

    ETA: Maybe For Whom the Bell Tolls?
    Last edited by TownieDeac; 01-06-2014 at 11:31 AM.

  5. #225
    I'm trying to wrack my brain and think of some English, French, German, or Russian stuff.

    Maybe we should just qualify it as Greatest American Anti-War Novel?

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Catch 22 is probably the biggest rival. I would say any book about war satirizing it or with the intent of showing its truest brutality may qualify (my own completely arbitrary definition).

    Off the top of my head:

    Cat's Cradle
    A Farewell to Arms
    All Quiet on the Western Front

    ETA: Maybe For Whom the Bell Tolls?
    I was going to post All Quiet on the Western Front.
    Go Deacs and Hook 'em

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDeac10 View Post
    I'm trying to wrack my brain and think of some English, French, German, or Russian stuff.

    Maybe we should just qualify it as Greatest American Anti-War Novel?
    All Quiet on the Western Front is def the best to come out of Germany IMHO.
    Go Deacs and Hook 'em

  8. #228

  9. #229
    Where is wakephan09?

    I have a bone to pick. Evelyn Waugh is boring as shit. Or maybe I started with the wrong book with Brideshead Revisited. But I'm seriously struggling to keep turning pages here.

    I read my first Raymond Chandler book, The Big Sleep. It could be that the hilarious, terse prose of Chandler is making me despise the flowery, vague, boring descriptions in Waugh.

  10. #230
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,119
    lol great post

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Where is wakephan09?

    I have a bone to pick. Evelyn Waugh is boring as shit. Or maybe I started with the wrong book with Brideshead Revisited. But I'm seriously struggling to keep turning pages here.

    I read my first Raymond Chandler book, The Big Sleep. It could be that the hilarious, terse prose of Chandler is making me despise the flowery, vague, boring descriptions in Waugh.
    suum cuique: it doesn't particularly bother me that you dislike it -- I suppose I must enjoy reading 'flowery, vague, boring' prose. While I do think that Brideshead is his best, all of his other novels are very different in tone, genre, and scope. Still flowery and vague though.

    I like Raymond Chandler too. Love the film adaptation of The Big Sleep.

  12. #232
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    I hated Slaughterhouse Five the first time I read it. Read it again a few years later and I really liked it. Possibly because I read a few others by Vonnegut in between and had a better handle on his sense of humor? I don’t know.
    I just read Breakfast of Champions and hated it at first but really started to like it at the end. May pick up Slaughterhouse Five soon

  13. #233
    http://www.listchallenges.com/kaunis...enge?ref=share

    49 for me. the fact BBC figures most folks have only read 6 of these is really sad/disappointing... i knocked that out with just the first 6 listed.
    I know how to spell definitely.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by lbE08 View Post
    http://www.listchallenges.com/kaunis...enge?ref=share

    49 for me. the fact BBC figures most folks have only read 6 of these is really sad/disappointing... i knocked that out with just the first 6 listed.
    there were several duplicates on that list, but yea the 6 estimate is sad

    also fuck the lovely bones

    ------------------------------------------------

    so i came here to post my thoughts about Their Eyes Were Watching God because i just finished it and i'm not a student of English anymore but i would like to talk about it

    so here is my thinking

    i enjoyed the storytelling. the language was funny, easy to read, conversational, etc.

    and in terms of a feminist book, it's a massive improvement on the late 19th century trope of "oh you're a lady? better kill yourself. only way out of man-pression." the lead character is very, very strong.

    however, she's also super flighty. she leaves her first husband to chase after true love, and finds someone she thinks she's happy with, finds happiness, but quickly becomes unhappy, leaves him looking for REAL REAL happiness, finds it, and then the last male depiction in the book is LITERALLY RABID. he gets bitten by a rabid dog and is foaming at the mouth. kind of heavy handed. and then she gets vindicated by white ladies and it all works out.

    idk, like i said, i dig it from the feminist lens, she takes her happiness into her own hands and doesn't accept her role or place. but then beyond that, the male characters in the book are all either aloof, stupid, downright evil, insane, or rabid.

  15. #235
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,119
    the complete works of shakespeare? the entire bible?


    'the chronicles of narnia' and ALSO 'lion witch/wardrobe'? amateur hour

    got 39
    Last edited by ImTheCaptain; 03-19-2014 at 02:30 PM.

  16. #236
    Last 100 pages of Anna Karenina to go. Do like, but hard to sympathize with any of the rich-ass characters with their Society problems. Tolstoy has the human condition on lock, tho.

  17. #237

  18. #238
    Bernie Eskimo Bro
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,464
    Just read The Crying of Lot 49 and Inherent Vice back to back, and despite coming from completely different periods of Pynchon's career, they felt really complementary to each other. He does a better job of transporting you to a time and place, especially in Inherent Vice, than any other author I've come across. I feel simpatico with the guy. But damn, does he use a lot of characters.

  19. #239
    I'm about 2/3 of the way through Conspiracy of Fools which I try to re- read along with Barbarians at the Gates every few years. Both just incredible books.

  20. #240
    Working through Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Really digging the narrative style.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •